GULC (75k debt) vs. Fordham (0 debt)

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

GULC (75k debt)
63%
Fordham (0 debt)
35%
ED to UVA next cycle
2%

Total votes: 43

nyankees51

Postby nyankees51 » Wed Apr 06, 2011 1:03 pm

So I have narrowed it down to these two and the reason for the final debt numbers is because I will not be paying COA in either city and I have some savings. This coupled with a scholarship from Fordham gives me the final numbers seen above. I am not sure I want big law but I at least would like the possibility. My real goal would be to get in with the IRS because of my Accounting background. I know it's not easy to get these Fed jobs either but that would be ideal if possible. Either way I would like to end up in NYC.

I am also waiting on Cornell but they have been extremely slow and at this point in the cycle I don't know if I will be accepted. My numbers are 3.9x/168 and my other option would be to apply early next cycle and ED to UVA but the reason I didn't do that this year was because my fiancee has a good job in NY and didn't think it was worth the move. My question is ED to UVA or reapplying to Cornell earlier in the cycle next year that worth it over going now and having my fiancee keep her job?

nyankees51

Re: GULC (75k debt) vs. Fordham (0 debt)

Postby nyankees51 » Mon Apr 11, 2011 9:52 am

bump. any input on why people are picking one over the other would be really appreciated. Thanks!

michigan_man

Postby michigan_man » Mon Apr 11, 2011 9:55 am

Definitely go to GULC for that low cost. Great deal. And you were lucky to get in there anyway with your LSAT score. Your fiance is right about Charlottesville not being worth the move. It is a better school, but not worth going when your partner is making money in a city.

nyankees51

Postby nyankees51 » Mon Apr 11, 2011 10:31 am

michigan_man wrote:Definitely go to GULC for that low cost. Great deal. And you were lucky to get in there anyway with your LSAT score. Your fiance is right about Charlottesville not being worth the move. It is a better school, but not worth going when your partner is making money in a city.

Thanks for the response thats what my gut feeling is too but its just good to hear other people think the same about it.

Moxie

Postby Moxie » Mon Apr 11, 2011 10:34 am

michigan_man wrote:Definitely go to GULC for that low cost. Great deal. And you were lucky to get in there anyway with your LSAT score. Your fiance is right about Charlottesville not being worth the move. It is a better school, but not worth going when your partner is making money in a city.

+1. I'd even vote for GULC at 75k debt over UVA at sticker.

Fordham isn't a bad choice, but GULC is the better choice, especially since you're cutting down on your debt.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”