Doubt Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Avon Barksdale

New

Re: Doubt

Post by Avon Barksdale » Thu Apr 07, 2011 6:53 am

blsingindisguise wrote:As for the decision, I guess I'd say either Fordham or whichever is cheapest. But it depends a little on your goals. Fordham is the only one on that list that will give you even a meaningful shot at a high-paying large law firm job, e.g., although, to be clear, it's more likely than not that you won't get one of those jobs even at Fordham.

None are ideal options. Can you do Fordham p/t and work to minimize your debt?
I have actually begun seriously considering that. My question then becomes: does the job you have while doing the part time program matter? Also, does taking part in the PT program seriously hurt your chances of getting a good summer job?

blsingindisguise

Silver

Post by blsingindisguise » Thu Apr 07, 2011 10:03 am

Avon Barksdale wrote: I have actually begun seriously considering that. My question then becomes: does the job you have while doing the part time program matter? Also, does taking part in the PT program seriously hurt your chances of getting a good summer job?
Good questions. I doubt what particular job you do while going to school part time matters. I do know of people who got jobs at top firms from part-time programs, but I don't know whether all firms are unbiased about it. You might want to ask people from the school.

Avon Barksdale

New

Post by Avon Barksdale » Thu Apr 28, 2011 12:25 pm

thank you, everyone, for your helpful responses.

socraticmethodman

Bronze

Post by socraticmethodman » Thu Apr 28, 2011 12:29 pm

BarbellDreams wrote:
worldtraveler wrote:
rocon7383 wrote:I'm in a similar situation and can relate to your sense of doubt. The way I look at it is to just absolutely work your ass off at whatever school your at to be top of the class.
facepalm
My exact reaction.
+1

Avon Barksdale

New

Post by Avon Barksdale » Thu Apr 28, 2011 12:33 pm

socraticmethodman wrote:
BarbellDreams wrote:
worldtraveler wrote:
rocon7383 wrote:I'm in a similar situation and can relate to your sense of doubt. The way I look at it is to just absolutely work your ass off at whatever school your at to be top of the class.
facepalm
My exact reaction.
+1

i get that its easier said than done, but there isn't anything particularly incorrect about what he said. I took it more as a vote of confidence directed at me and i appreciated it.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Post by JamMasterJ » Thu Apr 28, 2011 12:54 pm

Avon Barksdale wrote:
blsingindisguise wrote:As for the decision, I guess I'd say either Fordham or whichever is cheapest. But it depends a little on your goals. Fordham is the only one on that list that will give you even a meaningful shot at a high-paying large law firm job, e.g., although, to be clear, it's more likely than not that you won't get one of those jobs even at Fordham.

None are ideal options. Can you do Fordham p/t and work to minimize your debt?
I have actually begun seriously considering that. My question then becomes: does the job you have while doing the part time program matter? Also, does taking part in the PT program seriously hurt your chances of getting a good summer job?
IIRC part-timers can't really do 1L SA b/c they are still taking classes in the summer.

scammedhard

Silver

Post by scammedhard » Thu Apr 28, 2011 1:25 pm

Leira7905 wrote:Here's the thing, as I see it... Risking 3+ years of your life and hundreds of thousands of dollars on anything is bound to create some doubt in anybody. Anyone who says they have zero-doubt (aside from those under 25 with a full scholly to a T14) is either a liar or a lunatic.

In truth, no one can really answer this question but you. If you're dead set on LS, then the general consensus is you should attend the best school you get into that will give you job placement in the market you want, and, secondly, to minimize debt. Other than that, it think it's your own dice roll.
Very nice words...
I would personally take the risk and go to Fordham. And DO NOT even think of attending SETON HALL.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”