Fordham Law Waitlist

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
summeriffic

Fordham Law Waitlist

Postby summeriffic » Tue Apr 05, 2011 10:37 pm

So what would you recommend to be selected of the wait list and who has currently been wait listed?

apollo13

Re: Fordham Law Waitlist

Postby apollo13 » Wed Apr 06, 2011 12:42 am

honestly... retake

rocon7383

Postby rocon7383 » Wed Apr 06, 2011 12:58 am

apollo13 wrote:honestly... retake

Astonishing. I think this may actually be some sort of record. You actually recommended the 0P, on his first ever post, retake without knowing his LSAT and/or GPA, and based solely on one sentence where he stated he was waitlisted at a top30 school. I mean, the ratio of your knowledge of his situation to your confidence in telling him to absolutely retake is astonishing. Kudos, sir. Kudos.

dr123

Postby dr123 » Wed Apr 06, 2011 1:00 am

rocon7383 wrote:

Astonishing. I think this may actually be some sort of record. You actually recommended the 0P, on his first ever post, retake without knowing his LSAT and/or GPA, and based solely on one sentence where he stated he was waitlisted at a top30 school. I mean, the ratio of your knowledge of his situation to your confidence in telling him to absolutely retake is astonishing. Kudos, sir. Kudos.

TBF a couple pts on the lsat could very well be the difference between a WL and an Acceptance, assuming of course the OP didnt get a 180

rocon7383

Postby rocon7383 » Wed Apr 06, 2011 1:10 am

dr123 wrote:
rocon7383 wrote:

TBF a couple pts on the lsat could very well be the difference between a WL and an Acceptance, assuming of course the OP didnt get a 180

My point is that he could have a 174 on his third try coupled with a 2.1 gpa.
However, he could very well be the ideal candidate for a retake--you're right. I just find TLSers' instant impulse to type "retake" to be laughable at this point. The author of the first response didn't know a single thing about OP's situation or his/her stats.

apollo13

Postby apollo13 » Wed Apr 06, 2011 1:27 am

rocon7383 wrote:

Yup, sadly enough, thats how I roll in TLS... as a badass. but good thing, this was OP's first ever post, now he/she is open to the world, in which just simply going to a law school is no longer "wow.. yay, I am going to a law school!", but realize fordham/cardozo/brooklyn aren't worth it in the grand scheme of current market situation and the possibility of attending T-14 with a little to significant amount of scholly through retakes and strategies (high gpa/avg lsat = ED to UVA, high lsat with low gpa and we = ed to NU) Although the acceptance game varies time to time and I posted without any evidence/explanation, you do have a point :) so kudos back to you, sir

summeriffic

Postby summeriffic » Thu Jun 16, 2011 12:21 am

No re-taking for me, I'll just ride out my WL's or select from the schools I have been accepted to.

DEG1989

Postby DEG1989 » Fri Jul 01, 2011 12:10 pm

Last edited by DEG1989 on Mon Nov 10, 2014 11:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

OnceUponAMemo

Postby OnceUponAMemo » Fri Jul 01, 2011 12:16 pm

If you're on the waitlist, Fordham likes to be in communication with you. Send a couple LOCI's (but keep them short, substantive and sweet), schedule a tour and after the tour is over talk to someone in admissions with a few questions about student life/practice area. It may not make a difference, but Fordham wants you to show interest in the school if you are right on the line so they don't offer you acceptance and then you immediately go somewhere else.

JimmyThomas

Postby JimmyThomas » Fri Jul 01, 2011 3:00 pm

People are suicidal enough that they think that getting accepted off the wait-list and paying 75k a year for Fordham is a blessing?

law's cool

Postby law's cool » Fri Jul 01, 2011 5:54 pm

JimmyThomas wrote:People are suicidal enough that they think that getting accepted off the wait-list and paying 75k a year for Fordham is a blessing?

Suicidal enough? That doesn't even make sense.

And some people can go to the school for about 50k per year, and have bank accounts and/or parents to help lower that number even further. Approx. 90k total debt coming out of Fordham is not a bad deal at all.

JimmyThomas

Postby JimmyThomas » Fri Jul 01, 2011 5:58 pm

law's cool wrote:
JimmyThomas wrote:People are suicidal enough that they think that getting accepted off the wait-list and paying 75k a year for Fordham is a blessing?

And some people can go to the school for about 50k per year, and have bank accounts and/or parents to help lower that number even further. Approx. 90k total debt coming out of Fordham is not a bad deal at all.

None of those situations make the investment any less retarded.

90k of debt + 3 years of lost opportunity time + emptying your and your parents bank account for a 1/4 chance at biglaw is bad any way you look at it. Most of the loans would be Gradplus- unsubsidized and at 8.5 percent interest. Lovely. Unless you have a full ride, Fordham isn't worth attending. Especially considering the out-of-control cost of living.

My guess is you are defending Fordham as a way of alleviating your own bad financial decision. Cognitive dissonance psychology at work.

OnceUponAMemo

Postby OnceUponAMemo » Fri Jul 01, 2011 6:56 pm

JimmyThomas wrote:
law's cool wrote:

90k of debt + 3 years of lost opportunity time + emptying your and your parents bank account for a 1/4 chance at biglaw is bad any way you look at it. Most of the loans would be Gradplus- unsubsidized and at 8.5 percent interest. Lovely. Unless you have a full ride, Fordham isn't worth attending. Especially considering the out-of-control cost of living.

My guess is you are defending Fordham as a way of alleviating your own bad financial decision. Cognitive dissonance psychology at work.

This blind advice is so ridiculously pathetic it's almost amusing. Of course there is risk involved, but the majority of law student grads are aware of the financial ramifications of their decision. This type of scare tactic serves no purpose but the inherent and thinly veiled elitist self-aggrandizing of the poster.

Please ignore.

ndirish2010

Postby ndirish2010 » Fri Jul 01, 2011 7:04 pm

JimmyThomas wrote:
law's cool wrote:

Full ride? 20-25K a year is fairly rational from Fordham.

JimmyThomas

Postby JimmyThomas » Fri Jul 01, 2011 7:14 pm

OnceUponAMemo wrote:
JimmyThomas wrote:
law's cool wrote:

This blind advice is so ridiculously pathetic it's almost amusing. Of course there is risk involved, but the majority of law student grads are aware of the financial ramifications of their decision. This type of scare tactic serves no purpose but the inherent and thinly veiled elitist self-aggrandizing of the poster.

Please ignore.

Looks like my theory is validated once again. Another Fordham student attempting to justify his decision to other 0L lemmings.

Are your parents footing the bill or are you paying to attend that TTT? According to previous posts you seem to paying around 50-60k a year (tiny 10k scholarship) for this three year vacation.....

JimmyThomas

Postby JimmyThomas » Fri Jul 01, 2011 7:18 pm

ndirish2010 wrote:
JimmyThomas wrote:
law's cool wrote:

Full ride? 20-25K a year is fairly rational from Fordham.

Plus cost of living puts you around 40-45k a year. 120k total debt. That is pretty brutal high-interest, non dischargable debt for a middling law degree.

ndirish2010

Postby ndirish2010 » Fri Jul 01, 2011 7:31 pm

I would not say it is a middling degree, but I see your point. COL in NYC is ridiculous. I turned down a 15K scholarship to Fordham when I realized that I'd still be paying close to 60K a year.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”