UC Irvine $ vs Minnesota $$ vs USC $ vs Cardozo $$$$

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

WARE DUZ I GO

UC Irvine $
4%
USC $
67%
U. of Minnesota $$
8%
Cardozo $$$$
21%

Total votes: 24

ku1185

UC Irvine $ vs Minnesota $$ vs USC $ vs Cardozo $$$$

Postby ku1185 » Tue Apr 05, 2011 7:24 pm

So seat deposits are due soon for several of my schools, and so far I've narrowed it down to four schools. Since debt is an issue, I'll list the debt I would come out with at each school:

UC Irvine ~$160,000
Minnesota ~$120,000
USC ~$200,000
Cardozo ~very little

I received a full tuition scholarship from Cardozo and I live close enough to commute. But I don't like the idea of going to a school in NYC (the commute to NYC and just being in the area are things I would imagine to be distracting to a student)

USC would be ideal as I have family in the area and I like the idea of practicing in California (seeing as how I'm most interested in laws relating to technology and media). Also, the weather =). However, I would be taking on a massive amount of debt.

I'm also considering UCI due to its location and the opportunities available to students of such a new school. The weather is nice, professors seem cool, and the summer jobs that the current students were able to land were quite impressive. That said, I think I would need a bit more money before I can seriously consider UCI over some of my other options.

Minnesota is an interesting one. The only things I don't like about Minn. is that I don't think I would like working in the midwest. Other than that, it seems like a great school.

EDIT: oops, added poll.

EDIT2: FWIW, I'm still waiting on a few schools. I think BC and Fordham could squeeze into this list with the right offer (and perhaps push some out). I think Boston would be a decent place to go to school, and I would be able to commute to Fordham as well. Of course, it will depend on whether I get in and what aid I get.
Last edited by ku1185 on Thu Apr 07, 2011 4:31 pm, edited 5 times in total.

bk1

Re: UC Irvine $ vs Minnesota $$ vs USC $ vs Cardozo $$$$

Postby bk1 » Tue Apr 05, 2011 7:26 pm

Where do you want to work? CA? I guess I'd take USC.

Best option financially is probably UMN if you are okay with ending up in Minnesota.

ku1185

Postby ku1185 » Tue Apr 05, 2011 7:30 pm

bk1 wrote:Where do you want to work? CA? I guess I'd take USC.

Best option financially is probably UMN if you are okay with ending up in Minnesota.

I would like to check out CA, but I don't mind NY since I'm from around there. And yeah, UMinn would be ideal if not for the fact that it's difficult to get a job in LA/NYC.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Tue Apr 05, 2011 7:31 pm

ku1185 wrote:I would like to check out CA, but I don't mind NY since I'm from around there. And yeah, UMinn would be ideal if not for the fact that it's difficult to get a job in LA/NYC.

I'm confused, I thought you didn't like NYC?

ku1185

Postby ku1185 » Tue Apr 05, 2011 7:37 pm

bk1 wrote:
ku1185 wrote:I would like to check out CA, but I don't mind NY since I'm from around there. And yeah, UMinn would be ideal if not for the fact that it's difficult to get a job in LA/NYC.

I'm confused, I thought you didn't like NYC?

Well, I don't, in general. I just think it's a pain in the ass to get around and expensive too, something I wouldn't like to deal with as a student. Working in NYC sucks, but it's manageable. And all my friends are around there.

Lawquacious

Postby Lawquacious » Tue Apr 05, 2011 7:44 pm

I say USC, but I think MN is runner-up. Maybe if you asked for more money from Irvine and got it I think that could be a decent option.

ku1185

Postby ku1185 » Thu Apr 07, 2011 7:14 am

bump :mrgreen:

arhmcpo

Postby arhmcpo » Thu Apr 07, 2011 12:24 pm

You won't get more money from Irvine since I think they only give 1/3rd to all applicants this year - so I would go 'Dozo if you decide you don't mind staying in NYC - then USC for California.

thexfactor

Postby thexfactor » Thu Apr 07, 2011 12:38 pm

i dont understand why people put so much emphasis on location. Unless there is an extremely important reason that you need to be in x location, you should focus on which school has the best job prospects.

There is a huge difference in placement between USC and Carbozo. prob top 1/3 vs top 10% for biglaw.
I would only take into account location if the schools are in the same range such as usc/texas/vanderbilt or wustl/emory/fordham.

dpk711

Postby dpk711 » Thu Apr 07, 2011 1:03 pm

While I voted for USC for it's biglaw possibilities -- it is still a scary thought going to USC with 200K in debt and knowing that if you don't make top 30% or so you're going to miss out on biglaw.

ku1185

Postby ku1185 » Thu Apr 07, 2011 1:25 pm

dpk711 wrote:While I voted for USC for it's biglaw possibilities -- it is still a scary thought going to USC with 200K in debt and knowing that if you don't make top 30% or so you're going to miss out on biglaw.

This is pretty much exactly my thoughts right now, but it seems that the general consensus is to eat the debt and go to USC. I'm also having a hard time figuring out what happens to those who do not land a biglaw gig with this much debt; it's the other 70% that's really keeping me from committing since I'm not looking forward to living in a cardboard box (unless it's at Princeton University with "Princeton Law School" written on it and I get to collect tuition).

dpk711

Postby dpk711 » Thu Apr 07, 2011 1:29 pm

ku1185 wrote:
dpk711 wrote:While I voted for USC for it's biglaw possibilities -- it is still a scary thought going to USC with 200K in debt and knowing that if you don't make top 30% or so you're going to miss out on biglaw.

This is pretty much exactly my thoughts right now, but it seems that the general consensus is to eat the debt and go to USC. I'm also having a hard time figuring out what happens to those who do not land a biglaw gig with this much debt; it's the other 70% that's really keeping me from committing since I'm not looking forward to living in a cardboard box (unless it's at Princeton University with "Princeton Law School" written on it and I get to collect tuition).

I loled, but in all seriousness USC is still an awesome school (yes trojan here), but one must face the facts especially ITE.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”