Choosing b/w Davis/loyola/pepperdine Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Ash;-)

New

Choosing b/w Davis/loyola/pepperdine

Post by Ash;-) » Tue Apr 05, 2011 1:52 pm

Hi everyone
As you can see I have been offered admission to these 3 schools... I live in Los Angeles and will practice in LA when done... I might consider doing JD/MBA at 2L (80% chance)... I have scolly from loyola and pepperdine, Davis not sure (more than likely no scolly) And now deciding where to go... Not a biglaw fan and don't want to do public interest... Please help me choose...

Thanks in advance
Last edited by Ash;-) on Tue Apr 05, 2011 2:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Danteshek

Gold

Re: Choosing b/w Davis/loyola/pepperdine

Post by Danteshek » Tue Apr 05, 2011 2:31 pm

Ash;-) wrote:Hi everyone
As you can see I have been offered admission to these 3 schools... I live in Los Angeles and will practice in LA when done... I might consider doing JD/MBA at 2L (80% chance)... I have scolly from loyola and pepperdine, Davis not sure (more than likely no scolly) And now deciding where to go... Not a biglaw fan and don't want to do public interest... Please help me choose...

Thanks in advance
Loyola 2L here

I think it would be more convenient to do Pepperdine's JD/MBA than shlepping between the two Loyola campuses.

But I think you should choose an LA school (not Davis) if you want to be in LA.

Ash;-)

New

Post by Ash;-) » Tue Apr 05, 2011 2:35 pm

I was thinking the same way that a LA school would be better regardless of the rank difference. Since you are a loyola 2L how would you rank just the JD portion of the loyola Vs pepperdine?

Danteshek

Gold

Post by Danteshek » Tue Apr 05, 2011 2:48 pm

Ash;-) wrote:I was thinking the same way that a LA school would be better regardless of the rank difference. Since you are a loyola 2L how would you rank just the JD portion of the loyola Vs pepperdine?
They are the same.

The only differences are in location, size, and political orientation.

Ash;-)

New

Post by Ash;-) » Tue Apr 05, 2011 3:26 pm

How about job prospects after graduation... I hear bunch of people on this forum say that loyola has a better job prospect, since it has a bigger alum network... What do u think

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Danteshek

Gold

Post by Danteshek » Tue Apr 05, 2011 3:56 pm

Ash;-) wrote:How about job prospects after graduation... I hear bunch of people on this forum say that loyola has a better job prospect, since it has a bigger alum network... What do u think
I think you should be more concerned about your education.

Oh, and if you are a newb with no work experience, please do not get an MBA.

Ash;-)

New

Post by Ash;-) » Tue Apr 05, 2011 4:06 pm

Danteshek wrote:
Ash;-) wrote:How about job prospects after graduation... I hear bunch of people on this forum say that loyola has a better job prospect, since it has a bigger alum network... What do u think
I think you should be more concerned about your education.

Oh, and if you are a newb with no work experience, please do not get an MBA.
I actually have 6 years of international biz experience in a competitive industry... And love biz... The reason I'm asking the questions is to make an overal informed decision...

Danteshek

Gold

Post by Danteshek » Tue Apr 05, 2011 4:19 pm

Have you thought about getting a better MBA and forgetting about law school? MBA from LMU or Pepperdine leaves much to be desired. If you can go to UCLA for MBA, I think you should do that and worry about law school later (if you even want to go).

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Tue Apr 05, 2011 4:25 pm

JD/MBA doesn't seem worthwhile.

Davis at equal price could be better than P/L for SoCal.

You don't want biglaw or PI so you should take the highest scholarship you can considering those are the only realistic ways to pay off sticker price debt. You shouldn't be paying sticker anywhere since you don't want biglaw or PI (heck you probably shouldn't be paying more than $100k).

What do you want to do exactly?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

tea_drinker

Silver

Post by tea_drinker » Tue Apr 05, 2011 5:13 pm

bk187 wrote:JD/MBA doesn't seem worthwhile.

Davis at equal price could be better than P/L for SoCal.

You don't want biglaw or PI so you should take the highest scholarship you can considering those are the only realistic ways to pay off sticker price debt. You shouldn't be paying sticker anywhere since you don't want biglaw or PI (heck you probably shouldn't be paying more than $100k).

What do you want to do exactly?
To phrase bk's response in a slightly different way, you should go to the school where you will pay the least. If you can commute from your house to loyola or peperdine, and COL is not an an issue in that case, then you should look at those two schools. If you have to pay rents no matter which school you go, and costs are the same at each, pick the highest ranked one.

Ash;-)

New

Post by Ash;-) » Tue Apr 05, 2011 7:57 pm

i actually have almost full scolly to either loyola/pepperdine... i could drive to loyola but have to rent at pepperdine... on the other hand i do prefer Pepperdine because of the MBA program, and the quality of life [probably you guys don't care about this factor]. more than likely after graduation, I will get involve in real estate or corporate law[since i do have a lot of contacts in these two areas (but nothing is 100%)], and i do think the MBA will bring value for me [i do understand that MBA would not be as beneficial to most of you guys, since law will be the only thing you will do or you guys never been in biz and never considered what are the possibilities].

i hope the above could shed a little more light on the case and make things more clear... by the way i appreciate everyone who contributed....

Danteshek

Gold

Post by Danteshek » Tue Apr 05, 2011 10:01 pm

I do have some experience in business (3 years) before law school. I looked into MBA programs and concluded that they are mostly worthless. The only reason for going is if you get to a top 3 program to get into investment banking or consulting. Otherwise you are wasting your time, I think.

Diamond

Post by 20160810 » Tue Apr 05, 2011 10:10 pm

This depends entirely on how big the scholarships are and what the stips are, but unless we're talking full rides with a stip of top half (or no stip at all), then go to Davis.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Danteshek

Gold

Post by Danteshek » Tue Apr 05, 2011 10:27 pm

Yeah... SBL goes to Davis.

Diamond

Post by 20160810 » Wed Apr 06, 2011 12:26 am

Danteshek wrote:Yeah... SBL goes to Davis.
This is true. I also got a firm job with grades that probably couldn't get someone hired as a janitor from Loyola, and I generally make an effort to give people pretty objective advice. But I'm more than happy to disclose where I go to school lest anyone feel like I'm trying to give them one-sided information.

Ash;-)

New

Post by Ash;-) » Wed Apr 06, 2011 12:29 am

SBL wrote:
This is true. I also got a firm job with grades that probably couldn't get someone hired as a janitor from Loyola, and I generally make an effort to give people pretty objective advice. But I'm more than happy to disclose where I go to school lest anyone feel like I'm trying to give them one-sided information.
how do you like your experience at Davis...and where are you planing to work when you graduate?

Lasers

Gold

Post by Lasers » Wed Apr 06, 2011 3:25 am

davis, imo.

but again, depends on how substantial the $$$ is from the other schools. i don't think you'll have a harder time trying to get back to la from davis.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Diamond

Post by 20160810 » Wed Apr 06, 2011 4:14 am

Ash;-) wrote:
SBL wrote:
how do you like your experience at Davis...and where are you planing to work when you graduate?
I love it, and a firm in the SF area.

Ash;-)

New

Post by Ash;-) » Wed Apr 06, 2011 10:46 am

SBL wrote:
Ash;-) wrote:
SBL wrote:
I love it, and a firm in the SF area.
Do you know people in your section who got jobs in LA, or do you heard anything about job prospects in LA...

Diamond

Post by 20160810 » Wed Apr 06, 2011 1:53 pm

If you have the grades to get a firm job, your chances in LA are just fine.

Ash;-)

New

Post by Ash;-) » Wed Apr 06, 2011 2:43 pm

SBL wrote:If you have the grades to get a firm job, your chances in LA are just fine.
And what are these grades... Top 10%?

glewz

Silver

Post by glewz » Sat Apr 09, 2011 5:04 pm

Ash;-) wrote:
SBL wrote:If you have the grades to get a firm job, your chances in LA are just fine.
And what are these grades... Top 10%?
I'm confused...Ash are you trolling? You wrote in another forum that you got 90k from penn and about 100k from uva?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”