Villanova ($$$) v. Syracuse ($$$)

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
User avatar
alba0321
Posts: 23
Joined: Sat Feb 05, 2011 2:02 pm

Villanova ($$$) v. Syracuse ($$$)

Postby alba0321 » Tue Apr 05, 2011 1:49 pm

I finally narrowed it down to these two from a list of ten, so any input is greatly appreciated! :-)
Last edited by alba0321 on Tue Apr 19, 2011 4:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.

bearsfan1
Posts: 104
Joined: Wed Feb 09, 2011 5:49 pm

Re: Villanova ($$$) v. Syracuse ($$$)

Postby bearsfan1 » Tue Apr 05, 2011 1:52 pm

I'm not going to vote because I don't know much about either school. But definitely research the gpa curve for each school to find out what the odds are of you keeping your scholarship.

HeavenWood
Posts: 2915
Joined: Wed Jul 28, 2010 6:42 pm

Re: Villanova ($$$) v. Syracuse ($$$)

Postby HeavenWood » Tue Apr 05, 2011 1:52 pm

alba0321 wrote:Villanova - $27k scholarship / year with 3.15 GPA stipulation.
Syracuse - $33k scholarship / year with 3.0 GPA stipulation.

Just a little background info - I am originally from the Philly suburbs, but my family moved to upstate NY when I was in middle school, so I am not preferential to a job in either location. I am most interested in Health Law and would ultimately like to serve as in house counsel for a hospital or represent pharmaceutical companies.

I finally narrowed it down to these two from a list of ten, so any input is greatly appreciated! :-)


In absolute terms, Villanova places better in Philly than Syracuse does in upstate New York. That being said, both are regional schools. I would personally pick Villanova because IMHO Philadelphia >>> Syracuse, but that's a decision you'll have to make for yourself.

Those are generous offers, but try to get the stipulations removed (or at least relaxed). I'm not sure how a 3.15 at Villanova and a 3.0 at Syracuse correspond to the curve, but make sure they're at least below median.

User avatar
alba0321
Posts: 23
Joined: Sat Feb 05, 2011 2:02 pm

Re: Villanova ($$$) v. Syracuse ($$$)

Postby alba0321 » Wed Apr 06, 2011 1:19 am

.
Last edited by alba0321 on Tue Apr 19, 2011 4:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BlueDiamond
Posts: 953
Joined: Wed Sep 29, 2010 12:56 pm

Re: Villanova ($$$) v. Syracuse ($$$)

Postby BlueDiamond » Wed Apr 06, 2011 1:27 am

HeavenWood.. ever watch Kobe live in HS?

User avatar
2things2
Posts: 183
Joined: Mon Sep 20, 2010 2:39 am

Re: Villanova ($$$) v. Syracuse ($$$)

Postby 2things2 » Wed Apr 06, 2011 1:42 am

who are the goofy bastards picking cuse?

CanadianWolf
Posts: 10439
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:54 pm

Re: Villanova ($$$) v. Syracuse ($$$)

Postby CanadianWolf » Wed Apr 06, 2011 10:51 am

@2things2: If selecting Syracuse is "goofy", then why did you apply ?

User avatar
Justathought
Posts: 977
Joined: Sun Nov 21, 2010 11:16 pm

Re: Villanova ($$$) v. Syracuse ($$$)

Postby Justathought » Wed Apr 06, 2011 10:54 am

CanadianWolf wrote:@2things2: If selecting Syracuse is "goofy", then why did you apply ?


Wolf I expected more from you, in terms of reading comp. 2things isn't saying that applying to Syracuse is goofy, rather that those who are selecting it in this poll over Nova are goofy. That's debatable given preferences, but I'd personally be inclined to agree.

TNFSkier16
Posts: 136
Joined: Tue Nov 02, 2010 2:20 pm

Re: Villanova ($$$) v. Syracuse ($$$)

Postby TNFSkier16 » Wed Apr 06, 2011 10:58 am

I'd choose Villanova over Syracuse. But since I'm waitlisted at Villanova, I chose Syracuse. Just put in my deposit.

CanadianWolf
Posts: 10439
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:54 pm

Re: Villanova ($$$) v. Syracuse ($$$)

Postby CanadianWolf » Wed Apr 06, 2011 11:02 am

Based on the OP's situation & options, neither choice is "goofy".

User avatar
BarbellDreams
Posts: 2256
Joined: Thu Mar 19, 2009 6:10 pm

Re: Villanova ($$$) v. Syracuse ($$$)

Postby BarbellDreams » Wed Apr 06, 2011 11:15 am

I would take Nova, but let them know about the syracuse scholly and 3.0 stips and try and get them to bump their stip down to 3.0.

User avatar
alba0321
Posts: 23
Joined: Sat Feb 05, 2011 2:02 pm

Re: Villanova ($$$) v. Syracuse ($$$)

Postby alba0321 » Wed Apr 06, 2011 1:39 pm

Just a quick update: Nova bumped up to $31k/year...but neither school will negotiate the GPA requirements.

HeavenWood
Posts: 2915
Joined: Wed Jul 28, 2010 6:42 pm

Re: Villanova ($$$) v. Syracuse ($$$)

Postby HeavenWood » Wed Apr 06, 2011 4:02 pm

alba0321 wrote:Just a quick update: Nova bumped up to $31k/year...but neither school will negotiate the GPA requirements.


What GPA corresponds to median at each school?

User avatar
alba0321
Posts: 23
Joined: Sat Feb 05, 2011 2:02 pm

Re: Villanova ($$$) v. Syracuse ($$$)

Postby alba0321 » Thu Apr 07, 2011 7:57 pm

HeavenWood wrote:
alba0321 wrote:Just a quick update: Nova bumped up to $31k/year...but neither school will negotiate the GPA requirements.


What GPA corresponds to median at each school?


I believe each school has a B curve.

User avatar
bport hopeful
Posts: 4913
Joined: Wed Dec 08, 2010 4:09 pm

Re: Villanova ($$$) v. Syracuse ($$$)

Postby bport hopeful » Thu Apr 07, 2011 8:02 pm

Where in NY are you from? If youre from cuse, do cuse. If not, dont subject yourself to it. The city is the worst.

FWIW, Philly has a way larger legal market. Theres no money in Western/Central NY.

User avatar
alba0321
Posts: 23
Joined: Sat Feb 05, 2011 2:02 pm

Re: Villanova ($$$) v. Syracuse ($$$)

Postby alba0321 » Tue Apr 12, 2011 1:10 pm

.
Last edited by alba0321 on Tue Apr 19, 2011 4:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
BruceBarr
Posts: 279
Joined: Fri Sep 18, 2009 6:26 pm

Re: Villanova ($$$) v. Syracuse ($$$)

Postby BruceBarr » Tue Apr 12, 2011 1:13 pm

Nobody wants to talk about why Villanova dropped so hard in the rankings? Nobody? Nobody wants to mention that the lied for years about salaries of graduates and what not? How they knowingly reported false information? Anyone?

http://abovethelaw.com/2011/02/villanov ... o-the-aba/

User avatar
bport hopeful
Posts: 4913
Joined: Wed Dec 08, 2010 4:09 pm

Re: Villanova ($$$) v. Syracuse ($$$)

Postby bport hopeful » Tue Apr 12, 2011 1:17 pm

alba0321 wrote:
bport hopeful wrote:Where in NY are you from? If youre from cuse, do cuse. If not, dont subject yourself to it. The city is the worst.

FWIW, Philly has a way larger legal market. Theres no money in Western/Central NY.


I live about an hour away from Syracuse..so I'm used to the Upstate mentality and weather.

I have until Friday to make it official, but I think I am leaning towards Villanova, mainly because of the legal market.

Thanks for all the help :D

As am I. Im from Rochester, and I feel that Syracuse would be a downgrade. Im opting to GTFO of NY.

HeavenWood
Posts: 2915
Joined: Wed Jul 28, 2010 6:42 pm

Re: Villanova ($$$) v. Syracuse ($$$)

Postby HeavenWood » Tue Apr 12, 2011 1:17 pm

BruceBarr wrote:Nobody wants to talk about why Villanova dropped so hard in the rankings? Nobody? Nobody wants to mention that the lied for years about salaries of graduates and what not? How they knowingly reported false information? Anyone?

http://abovethelaw.com/2011/02/villanov ... o-the-aba/


It won't make any difference in local hiring in the short-term (and probably won't make any difference in local hiring in the long-term as well).

It's fun to buy into hysterics, but old reputations die hard, especially in insular legal markets like Philadelphia.

/point at issue

User avatar
alba0321
Posts: 23
Joined: Sat Feb 05, 2011 2:02 pm

Re: Villanova ($$$) v. Syracuse ($$$)

Postby alba0321 » Wed Apr 13, 2011 5:49 pm

HeavenWood wrote:
BruceBarr wrote:Nobody wants to talk about why Villanova dropped so hard in the rankings? Nobody? Nobody wants to mention that the lied for years about salaries of graduates and what not? How they knowingly reported false information? Anyone?

http://abovethelaw.com/2011/02/villanov ... o-the-aba/


It won't make any difference in local hiring in the short-term (and probably won't make any difference in local hiring in the long-term as well).

It's fun to buy into hysterics, but old reputations die hard, especially in insular legal markets like Philadelphia.

/point at issue


When I attended the Drexel ASW, they gave me the impression that the Villanova 3Ls this year have dismal job prospects because of the admissions scandal, and that 2Ls were not getting as many summer associateships, etc.

However, when I discussed this with students and professors at Villanova, they said the scandal has had no effect on the current students.

Has anyone actually been turned down because of this?

User avatar
bport hopeful
Posts: 4913
Joined: Wed Dec 08, 2010 4:09 pm

Re: Villanova ($$$) v. Syracuse ($$$)

Postby bport hopeful » Wed Apr 13, 2011 5:50 pm

Also, Major League Baseball. The End.

trayball23
Posts: 199
Joined: Sat Oct 09, 2010 6:34 pm

Re: Villanova ($$$) v. Syracuse ($$$)

Postby trayball23 » Wed Apr 13, 2011 5:58 pm

What part of NY is the OP from?

User avatar
alba0321
Posts: 23
Joined: Sat Feb 05, 2011 2:02 pm

Re: Villanova ($$$) v. Syracuse ($$$)

Postby alba0321 » Wed Apr 13, 2011 6:01 pm

trayball23 wrote:What part of NY is the OP from?


Upstate
Last edited by alba0321 on Tue Apr 19, 2011 4:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

trayball23
Posts: 199
Joined: Sat Oct 09, 2010 6:34 pm

Re: Villanova ($$$) v. Syracuse ($$$)

Postby trayball23 » Wed Apr 13, 2011 6:09 pm

I was jw I am from upstate as well and was accepted with both with the same scholarships pm me if you want to discuss it further.

User avatar
bport hopeful
Posts: 4913
Joined: Wed Dec 08, 2010 4:09 pm

Re: Villanova ($$$) v. Syracuse ($$$)

Postby bport hopeful » Wed Apr 13, 2011 6:17 pm

trayball23 wrote:I was jw I am from upstate as well and was accepted with both with the same scholarships pm me if you want to discuss it further.

Get it son.




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest