Minn or WUSTL? Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Which school? ($ is the total debt)

Minnesota ~ $0
44%
WUSTL ~ $0
56%
GW > $100k
No votes
USD ~ $0
No votes

Total votes: 16

Jez

New

Minn or WUSTL?

Post by Jez » Tue Apr 05, 2011 1:48 pm

Hi TLS,

It looks like my cycle will boil down to these two options. They both offered substantial scholarships, and I have a family member willing to help cover the rest of the cost. I would graduate from either school with little to no debt.

Background:
I have been out of school a few years, living and working in NYC. I grew up and went to school in CA. I would like to return to CA, but wouldn't mind the Midwest or the East Coast. My initial interest is in IP/Patent due to my science background, but I realize this can change. I am not hell-bent on biglaw.

As far as other schools go, GW is a possibility, but at sticker in my situation I would have to take out significant (over 100k) loans. I don't think that school is worth taking that debt over Minn or WUSTL, even considering their strength in IP.

I have been WLed at UCLA, Davis and Hastings. My other CA options are USD and Santa Clara. I think I will pass on those, although San Diego is my top choice as far as where I would like to work. Have yet to hear from USC.

Everywhere else I have either been WLed or denied.

I'm not going to reapply next year. I want to quit my jerb.

So please, vote! Let me know what you think! I would appreciate any insight or advice you may have. Thank you!

TL;DR: Which school provides a better possibility at CA, Minn or WUSTL? I realize I have to do a lot of legwork at either. Or do i take out the loans at GW? Is USD even on the radar?

bk1

Diamond

Re: Minn or WUSTL?

Post by bk1 » Tue Apr 05, 2011 1:51 pm

I think WUSTL will give you a slightly higher chance of CA.

Realize however that it's gonna take some good grades and that there is a high chance you don't get CA so be prepared for MN/midwest as a backup.

ndirish2010

Gold

Post by ndirish2010 » Tue Apr 05, 2011 1:53 pm

WUSTL looks like the choice here. Be sure you like St. Louis though, or perhaps Chicago.

Jez

New

Post by Jez » Tue Apr 05, 2011 3:45 pm

Thanks nd and bk.

I can accept the Midwest as a real possibility. I have reasons to stay out of CA that are just as strong as my desire to return there. My only reason for picking Minn would be that if I ended up in the Midwest, I would prefer it be Minneapolis (I have close family there). If I went to WUSTL, maybe I could still manage to do that?

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Tue Apr 05, 2011 3:46 pm

Jez wrote:Thanks nd and bk.

I can accept the Midwest as a real possibility. I have reasons to stay out of CA that are just as strong as my desire to return there. My only reason for picking Minn would be that if I ended up in the Midwest, I would prefer it be Minneapolis (I have close family there). If I went to WUSTL, maybe I could still manage to do that?
You could manage it, but it would probably be more difficult than if you went to Minn.

I think if you prefer Minneapolis as a backup market in the event you don't get CA, then go to UMN.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”