Pitt or Denver Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Pitt or Denver?

Pitt Law (COA $85,000)
52%
Denver (COA $115,000)
48%

Total votes: 33

HeavenWood

Gold

Re: Pitt or Denver

Post by HeavenWood » Wed Apr 06, 2011 12:01 pm

Whatever1 wrote:
Excellence = a Habit wrote:Full disclosure, I went to Pitt undergrad and love the city. I've also never been to Denver, and I am not an expert on the legal markets in either city. Since both schools are regional, I agree with everyone else that you should make this decision based on where you want to live, not on saving $30K. I just want to put in a plug for Pgh - not relative to Denver, since I don't know - but just on its own. It's a great city. Living right in town, in a very nice neighborhood near school you can get a good place for $550-750. If you wanted to share you could pay $300 for a room. I know some friends who lived large in a great house in the Highland Park neighborhood with granite counter tops, jacuzzi, a big deck with a great view, etc., for $350-$400 a piece. If you'd prefer the suburbs, I'm not sure how much that affects prices.

The city has some great neighborhoods that are really endearing but not necessarily immediately obvious when you visit the law school. Examples include the South Side, South Slope, the North Side (esp. Mexican War Streets), and Point Breeze. These are lovely places to chill for an afternoon even if you'd prefer to live farther out. And if you're at all into professional football... the heart of steelers nation is where it's at.

Anyway. Sorry! You should make your decision based on much more than this, of course, but since your decision should hinge in large part on where you want to end up afterward, I thought it was worth noting that Pittsburgh is a much awesomer city than initially meets the eye.
Thanks, I appreciate your input. I was only there for a couple of days when I visited so I know I didn't see everything but I tried to get a good picture of what life would be like there. And as for the Steelers, since I'm a Ravens fan that's definitely not a positive for me!
As long as you're not a Cowboys fan, you'll be fine (even Browns fans manage to survive here).

Whatever1

New

Post by Whatever1 » Thu Apr 07, 2011 11:36 am

Polling is completely even, so it seems to me like most people don't think it's a stupid idea to pay 30K more for Denver if I like it more.

I'm beginning to feel the same way, especially after calculating some of the payments. I'm extremely debt-averse and am willing to live frugally to get the debt paid off quickly. At Pitt, making $1400 a month payments it can be done in 5 years and at Denver with the same payment it can be done in 8 years. Those 3 extra years don't seem too hard to swallow to me. And the payments seem doable, even if at Denver I only make something like $65K a year thats still a take home pay of about $4500 a month. Obviously if I do really well at school and make $85K+ it can be done much quicker.

mrwarre85

Silver

Post by mrwarre85 » Thu Apr 07, 2011 1:46 pm

Whatever1 wrote:Polling is completely even, so it seems to me like most people don't think it's a stupid idea to pay 30K more for Denver if I like it more.

I'm beginning to feel the same way, especially after calculating some of the payments. I'm extremely debt-averse and am willing to live frugally to get the debt paid off quickly. At Pitt, making $1400 a month payments it can be done in 5 years and at Denver with the same payment it can be done in 8 years. Those 3 extra years don't seem too hard to swallow to me. And the payments seem doable, even if at Denver I only make something like $65K a year thats still a take home pay of about $4500 a month. Obviously if I do really well at school and make $85K+ it can be done much quicker.
I think the truth is that you need to do really well to make 65k, and that 85k is just a pipe dream. Employement numbers out of DU at the moment are very poor. Maybe better in a couple years but that is a huge gamble.

You need to be top 1/3 at DU to have a shot at 65k. Probably with some moot court/law review experience.

EDIT: by the way I still voted for DU.

Whatever1

New

Post by Whatever1 » Thu Apr 07, 2011 2:08 pm

mrwarre85 wrote:
Whatever1 wrote:Polling is completely even, so it seems to me like most people don't think it's a stupid idea to pay 30K more for Denver if I like it more.

I think the truth is that you need to do really well to make 65k, and that 85k is just a pipe dream. Employement numbers out of DU at the moment are very poor. Maybe better in a couple years but that is a huge gamble.

You need to be top 1/3 at DU to have a shot at 65k. Probably with some moot court/law review experience.

EDIT: by the way I still voted for DU.
I'm sorry I'm just not sure I buy that. I know what the employment numbers say, but DU is also difficult to work with apparently for people seeking their numbers for write-ups about law schools. So we truly don't know what they're employment is, which is scary. But c'mon, top 1/3 to have a shot at 65K? I don't buy it. Denver the city has relatively high income levels. The average attorney salary with less than 5 years experience there is 75K according to PayScale. Most attorneys in Denver are DU grads. So it doesn't add up that only 1/3 of the DU grads would make 65K. That would mean 2/3 of attorneys out of DU would make what high school teachers in Denver make, sorry I just don't believe it. I could be wrong but I don't believe it.

BarbellDreams

Gold

Post by BarbellDreams » Thu Apr 07, 2011 3:40 pm

Based on employment stats I would feel extremely fortunate to make 65k if I was only top 3rd from a school like Denver.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Whatever1

New

Post by Whatever1 » Thu Apr 07, 2011 3:48 pm

BarbellDreams wrote:Based on employment stats I would feel extremely fortunate to make 65k if I was only top 3rd from a school like Denver.
I appreciate the feedback. Maybe I'm being hardheaded, but I just don't believe you'd make the same salary out of a regionally well-regarded law school as you would teaching high school history and coaching baseball on the side. That's what you're saying when you say 2/3 make less than $60K.

northwood

Platinum

Post by northwood » Thu Apr 07, 2011 3:52 pm

teachers salaries start out at 35-40 K.

mrwarre85

Silver

Post by mrwarre85 » Thu Apr 07, 2011 3:57 pm

Whatever1 wrote:
BarbellDreams wrote:Based on employment stats I would feel extremely fortunate to make 65k if I was only top 3rd from a school like Denver.
I appreciate the feedback. Maybe I'm being hardheaded, but I just don't believe you'd make the same salary out of a regionally well-regarded law school as you would teaching high school history and coaching baseball on the side. That's what you're saying when you say 2/3 make less than $60K.

Only 52% of DU 2009 grads were working as full time attorneys nine months out. I'm saying you need top 1/3 for a shot at 65k, and whats more if you are much too far outside that you will not even able to work for a private firm or the government.

DU is a terrific school with a stellar reputation in Denver. No jobs, though.

Whatever1

New

Post by Whatever1 » Thu Apr 07, 2011 3:59 pm

northwood wrote:teachers salaries start out at 35-40 K.
Depends largely on the area. For instance on Long Island they start about 55. In Denver I just read that it's $45K, plus $5K for coaching 2 seasons of a sport brings it to 50. Hence my disbelief that 2/3 of DU grads make less than 60K.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Whatever1

New

Post by Whatever1 » Thu Apr 07, 2011 4:02 pm

mrwarre85 wrote:
Whatever1 wrote:

Only 52% of DU 2009 grads were working as full time attorneys nine months out. I'm saying you need top 1/3 for a shot at 65k, and whats more if you are much too far outside that you will not even able to work for a private firm or the government.

DU is a terrific school with a stellar reputation in Denver. No jobs, though.
Interesting. Do you have any idea why the legal job market is so bad in Denver? Not being from the area I'm confused since it seems that Denver has alot of white collar jobs and did not get stung by the recession as badly as most places.

northwood

Platinum

Post by northwood » Thu Apr 07, 2011 4:02 pm

Whatever1 wrote:
Depends largely on the area. For instance on Long Island they start about 55. In Denver I just read that it's $45K, plus $5K for coaching 2 seasons of a sport brings it to 50. Hence my disbelief that 2/3 of DU grads make less than 60K.

the point is thought that thats not a lot of money- especially living on long island. You do get paid more for having an advanced degree- but i just dont like how everyone thinks teaching is the greatest and easiest profession ever.

Whatever1

New

Post by Whatever1 » Thu Apr 07, 2011 4:07 pm

northwood wrote:
Whatever1 wrote:

the point is thought that thats not a lot of money- especially living on long island. You do get paid more for having an advanced degree- but i just dont like how everyone thinks teaching is the greatest and easiest profession ever.
Please don't get the wrong impression. I certainly don't think it's easy at all to deal with pain in the ass kids all day and then come home and have many more hours of work grading/planning. I am not trying to disrespect teachers, I just mean that based on typical salary structures it seems like something's wrong with the data if a teacher is getting paid 45K to start but supposedly 2/3 of new lawyers will make less than 60K.

firemed

Silver

Post by firemed » Thu Apr 07, 2011 4:26 pm

Less law schools in CO. Growing area.

Pennsylvania, on the other hand, has a shitload of schools. Better choice, IMO, is Denver because of the job opportunities. While Pitt does well, you ain't getting into the Philly or NYC markets unless you are top 5%. Whereas Denver you are looking at only having to be top 33% to get a good job.

Also, Denver is a fun city, and IMO the rest of Colorado is just filled with awesomeness.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

BarbellDreams

Gold

Post by BarbellDreams » Thu Apr 07, 2011 4:43 pm

firemed wrote:Less law schools in CO. Growing area.

Pennsylvania, on the other hand, has a shitload of schools. Better choice, IMO, is Denver because of the job opportunities. While Pitt does well, you ain't getting into the Philly or NYC markets unless you are top 5%. Whereas Denver you are looking at only having to be top 33% to get a good job.

Also, Denver is a fun city, and IMO the rest of Colorado is just filled with awesomeness.
This is just a basic logic fail.

You're comparing two separate things while speaking of them as equal.

Pittsburgh's placement in NY/Philly has nothing to do with Denver's placement in ITS OWN TOWN.

Whatever1

New

Post by Whatever1 » Thu Apr 07, 2011 4:46 pm

I think he may have been trying to say that Denver is a bigger market than Pittsburgh, therefore you have to take into account that some Pitt grads would have to go to other markets to gain access to the same number of jobs that are in Denver. Not saying I agree, but I think that's what he meant.

BarbellDreams

Gold

Post by BarbellDreams » Thu Apr 07, 2011 4:49 pm

Whatever1 wrote:I think he may have been trying to say that Denver is a bigger market than Pittsburgh, therefore you have to take into account that some Pitt grads would have to go to other markets to gain access to the same number of jobs that are in Denver. Not saying I agree, but I think that's what he meant.
The problem there is that in CO Denver is the ONLY city while in PA there is Philly. Everyone from Boulder, which is the better school, will be going to Denver as well. Here Pitt owns Pittsburgh by itself. I have been to both cities and I truly dont think Denver is a much larger legal market like some have proposed. I got in at both Denver and Pitt last year and this wasn't even close for me. The fact that Pitt is actually CHEAPER for you makes this a no-brainer to me unless you are in love with Denver as a city and hate Pittsburgh as a city.

firemed

Silver

Post by firemed » Thu Apr 07, 2011 4:53 pm

BarbellDreams wrote:

Pittsburgh's placement in NY/Philly has nothing to do with Denver's placement in ITS OWN TOWN.
I was simply talking about a larger job market in CO vs. PA. There is what, like 15 law schools in PA? And two in CO.

Even taking into account the large difference in population size between the two states, it seems to me that more jobs are going to be available in CO for graduates of Denver vs. jobs available to graduates of Pitt in PA... and the ability of Pitt people to enter the large job markets nearby are limited.

I admit I didn't phrase it well, and made it look like a comparison. Sorry.

ETA: Denver is not the only city in CO. :lol: While it is a small state population wise, it isn't a barren wasteland outside of Denver. While the other cities are smaller, they all need lawyers, most of whom are going to come from CU or Denver. Mostly Denver Law, since CU grads are going, as you say, to snatch up all the best jobs in Denver.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Whatever1

New

Post by Whatever1 » Thu Apr 07, 2011 4:53 pm

BarbellDreams wrote:
Whatever1 wrote:I think he may have been trying to say that Denver is a bigger market than Pittsburgh, therefore you have to take into account that some Pitt grads would have to go to other markets to gain access to the same number of jobs that are in Denver. Not saying I agree, but I think that's what he meant.
The problem there is that in CO Denver is the ONLY city while in PA there is Philly. Everyone from Boulder, which is the better school, will be going to Denver as well. Here Pitt owns Pittsburgh by itself. I have been to both cities and I truly dont think Denver is a much larger legal market like some have proposed. I got in at both Denver and Pitt last year and this wasn't even close for me. The fact that Pitt is actually CHEAPER for you makes this a no-brainer to me unless you are in love with Denver as a city and hate Pittsburgh as a city.
I'm not saying I hate Pittsburgh, I just had a really good feeling when I was in Denver. Plus the fact that Pittsburgh is a declining city scares me for what lies ahead. And I do actually think it is a much bigger legal market. According to a chart someone posted on another topic, there are about 1200 "Big Law" attorneys in Denver and under 750 in Pittsburgh (not sure the exact amount, but it was ranking the biggest big law towns in the US and the last city to make the cut had 749 and Pittsburgh didn't make the cut. So it has atleast lower than 749) Don't know if number of big law jobs is a good barometer of a legal market or not, though.

BarbellDreams

Gold

Post by BarbellDreams » Thu Apr 07, 2011 4:59 pm

firemed wrote:
BarbellDreams wrote:

I was simply talking about a larger job market in CO vs. PA. There is what, like 15 law schools in PA? And two in CO.

Even taking into account the large difference in population size between the two states, it seems to me that more jobs are going to be available in CO for graduates of Denver vs. jobs available to graduates of Pitt in PA... and the ability of Pitt people to enter the large job markets nearby are limited.

I admit I didn't phrase it well, and made it look like a comparison. Sorry.

ETA: Denver is not the only city in CO. :lol: While it is a small state population wise, it isn't a barren wasteland outside of Denver. While the other cities are smaller, they all need lawyers, most of whom are going to come from CU or Denver. Mostly Denver Law, since CU grads are going, as you say, to snatch up all the best jobs in Denver.
The same small cities that exist in CO exist in PA. I just meant Denver is the only city which will have biglaw, midlaw, and any other larger jobs.

Pitt's ability to get into NY/Philly is limited (definitely easier for Philly though), but so is Denver's ability to get in anywhere outside of, well, Denver (and the small cities you mentioned). They are both regional schools, simple as that.

BarbellDreams

Gold

Post by BarbellDreams » Thu Apr 07, 2011 5:01 pm

OP, you should go where you want to live for a long time the rest of your life. If its Denver then go there. If Pitt than go there. Both these schools are very regional and its important to understand that they dont have much pull outside of their respected markets. I just like that Pitt faces Dusquene (Tier 4) as its ONLY competition here while Denver faces Boulder (The better school) in Denver over there.

firemed

Silver

Post by firemed » Thu Apr 07, 2011 5:08 pm

BarbellDreams wrote:
The same small cities that exist in CO exist in PA. I just meant Denver is the only city which will have biglaw, midlaw, and any other larger jobs.

Pitt's ability to get into NY/Philly is limited (definitely easier for Philly though), but so is Denver's ability to get in anywhere outside of, well, Denver (and the small cities you mentioned). They are both regional schools, simple as that.
True to the bolded.

But what about these facts:

PA: Population- 12 million. Number of law schools- 9 or 10 (depending on how you count). One law school for every 1.2-1.5 million people.

CO: Population- 5 million and growing rapidly. Number of law schools: 2. One law school for every 2.5 million people.

This tells me that Denver has twice the job opportunities in PI and small/mid law (and is more likely to get even better, since CO is growing as a state in leaps and bounds). And since Pittsburgh can't claim access to the Biglaw markets any better than Denver grads can, that is really what they are fighting over, right?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

BarbellDreams

Gold

Post by BarbellDreams » Thu Apr 07, 2011 5:28 pm

firemed wrote:
BarbellDreams wrote:

True to the bolded.

But what about these facts:

PA: Population- 12 million. Number of law schools- 9 or 10 (depending on how you count). One law school for every 1.2-1.5 million people.

CO: Population- 5 million and growing rapidly. Number of law schools: 2. One law school for every 2.5 million people.

This tells me that Denver has twice the job opportunities in PI and small/mid law (and is more likely to get even better, since CO is growing as a state in leaps and bounds). And since Pittsburgh can't claim access to the Biglaw markets any better than Denver grads can, that is really what they are fighting over, right?
2 problems with that theory:

Not sure how many law schools there are around here but I count 8 off the top of my head. Anyway, lets say 10 for the sake of argument.

1. All schools are not equal. In the Pittsburgh market Pitt will outplace anyone besides the T10 which dont really come here much anyway. Likewise, although schools like Dusquene and Widener exist, a Pitt grad isn't losing a job to a grad from one of those schools anytime soon. TTT schools are basically irrelevant.

2. You divide the population by the school, but you forget that if you wanna take the population as a whole you have to take the legal market as a whole as well. Philly + Pitt's legal market is a LOT larger than Denver. Hell, Philly by itself is a lot larger than Denver. This basically means that while there may be more law schools per person, there are also more jobs per person in the state.

firemed

Silver

Post by firemed » Thu Apr 07, 2011 5:50 pm

BarbellDreams wrote:

Not sure how many law schools there are around here but I count 8 off the top of my head. Anyway, lets say 10 for the sake of argument.

1. All schools are not equal. In the Pittsburgh market Pitt will outplace anyone besides the T10 which dont really come here much anyway. Likewise, although schools like Dusquene and Widener exist, a Pitt grad isn't losing a job to a grad from one of those schools anytime soon. TTT schools are basically irrelevant.

2. You divide the population by the school, but you forget that if you wanna take the population as a whole you have to take the legal market as a whole as well. Philly + Pitt's legal market is a LOT larger than Denver. Hell, Philly by itself is a lot larger than Denver. This basically means that while there may be more law schools per person, there are also more jobs per person in the state.
I think that, honestly, except for biglaw, the number of PI/smalllaw/midlaw jobs is going to bet tied closely to population. But at this point I am just guessing.

My opinion is still Denver over Pitt... but it is just an opinion.

HeavenWood

Gold

Post by HeavenWood » Fri Apr 08, 2011 12:44 am

firemed wrote:
BarbellDreams wrote:

I think that, honestly, except for biglaw, the number of PI/smalllaw/midlaw jobs is going to bet tied closely to population. But at this point I am just guessing.

It's apples to oranges. There is no "Pennsylvania legal market." There's a Pittsburgh market, a Harrisburg market, and a Philadelphia market. Pennsylvania's other major cities (Allentown, Erie, Scranton, etc.) are sub-extensions of these three main markets (depending on geography).

When one is applying for jobs in Pittsburgh, one is primarily competing against Pitt and Duquesne grads. People from other Pennsylvania schools certainly do work in Pittsburgh, but only Pitt and Duquesne have solidly established alumni networks. Temple, Villanova, Widener (Wilmington), and Drexel grads usually stick to Philly (Penn grads usually self-select to NYC). Dickinson and Widener (Harrisburg) grads have some reach in Philadelphia and Pittsburgh, but they tend to stick to Central PA.

I'm not saying Pitt grads necessarily have better prospects than Denver grads (I am completely unfamiliar with the Denver legal market), but it's incorrect to say that Denver is the better school simply because there are fewer law schools in Colorado.

And there are 8 law schools which directly feed into Pennsylvania legal markets (9 if you double count Widener's Wilmington and Harrisburg campuses).

firemed

Silver

Post by firemed » Fri Apr 08, 2011 1:11 am

HeavenWood wrote:
firemed wrote:
BarbellDreams wrote:

It's apples to oranges. There is no "Pennsylvania legal market." There's a Pittsburgh market, a Harrisburg market, and a Philadelphia market. Pennsylvania's other major cities (Allentown, Erie, Scranton, etc.) are sub-extensions of these three main markets (depending on geography).

When one is applying for jobs in Pittsburgh, one is primarily competing against Pitt and Duquesne grads. People from other Pennsylvania schools certainly do work in Pittsburgh, but only Pitt and Duquesne have solidly established alumni networks. Temple, Villanova, Widener (Wilmington), and Drexel grads usually stick to Philly (Penn grads usually self-select to NYC). Dickinson and Widener (Harrisburg) grads have some reach in Philadelphia and Pittsburgh, but they tend to stick to Central PA.

I'm not saying Pitt grads necessarily have better prospects than Denver grads (I am completely unfamiliar with the Denver legal market), but it's incorrect to say that Denver is the better school simply because there are fewer law schools in Colorado.

And there are 8 law schools which directly feed into Pennsylvania legal markets (9 if you double count Widener's Wilmington and Harrisburg campuses).

Good points. Though it seems to me that it would still hold true that if there are more people in need of legal services in a given area, there will be more opportunities. The fact that Pitt only has to compete with a TTT to get a job in one particular city doesn't invalidate that premise. On the other hand, as I said before, this is all opinion without factual backup at this point on my part, so YMMV.

And it is 10 in PA if you double count Penn State's double campuses as well.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”