HELP!Hastings(30k), Davis, U. of Min(60k) int in Cal EPA Job

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
veleda

HELP!Hastings(30k), Davis, U. of Min(60k) int in Cal EPA Job

Postby veleda » Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:41 am

Hey all!

Deposits are due on Friday and I've narrowed down my out-of-state options (IU-B, UI-UC, BC, and UMN) but am having a difficult time deciding between two lower ranked schools that are regional. One has a higher ranking, one has some $$, both are somewhat equal in terms of employment prospects, i already have hella cheap housing in SF. I really want to stay in the bay area well unless i get an awesome public policy job in DC ;)

Thoughts?
Long term I want to work for the Cal EPA doing Environment Law.

tea_drinker

Re: HELP!Hastings(30k), Davis, U. of Min(60k) int in Cal EPA Job

Postby tea_drinker » Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:49 am

Does any of the out of state schools give you scholarship money? I think you should make a full list of all the school with scholarship money for easy reading.

But if I read it correctly, and if I am in your position, Hasting is a pretty attractive option.

Borhas

Postby Borhas » Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:52 am

scratch off IUB and IUIC

if you get tons of money from BU consider that, if not then Hastings is the right call

(UCH student here, but still, this one's a no brainer)

ilovesf

Postby ilovesf » Tue Apr 05, 2011 6:44 pm

more importantly, what's your secret to finding cheap housing in sf?

ilovesf

Postby ilovesf » Tue Apr 05, 2011 6:49 pm

veleda wrote:Deposits are due on Friday and I've narrowed down my out-of-state options (IU-B, UI-UC, BC, and UMN) but am having a difficult time deciding between two lower ranked schools that are regional. One has a higher ranking, one has some $$, both are somewhat equal in terms of employment prospects, i already have hella cheap housing in SF. I really want to stay in the bay area well unless i get an awesome public policy job in DC ;)

Also people outside of CA will make fun of you for that :)

voice of reason

Postby voice of reason » Tue Apr 05, 2011 6:53 pm

It seems obvious you should go to Hastings because you want to stay in the bay area, they are giving you money, and you already have cheap housing in San Francisco. Davis might also be reasonable if there are stringent conditions attached to the scholarship from Hastings.

Attorney

Postby Attorney » Tue Apr 05, 2011 7:20 pm

ilovesf wrote:
veleda wrote: i already have hella cheap housing in SF.

So uncouth, ye Californians. I believe the proper term, in the civilized world, is wicked cheap.

veleda

Postby veleda » Wed Apr 06, 2011 3:42 am

UI-B 120k
IU-UB - 60k
UMN - 60k
Boston College -60k
Hastings - 30k
Davis - Sticker

--

To the peope tat chose Hastings.why Hastings over Davis for EL Law? Davis recently recruited a top faculty member UC Berkeley who started an environmental law and public policy center and states they are doing extra work to make sure EL studets get agency internships and positis. This has m leaning towards Davis over Hastings should I choose a CA school (still waiting to hear back from UCLA)..

--

Housing - It's called being a bay area native and living here a long time. I pay less than $400 a month due to rent control and taking a small room. :) These deals are findable if you are willing to move into already esablished households.

--
Wicked?! ;)

lhlee

Postby lhlee » Wed Apr 06, 2011 3:52 am

ilovesf wrote:
veleda wrote:Deposits are due on Friday and I've narrowed down my out-of-state options (IU-B, UI-UC, BC, and UMN) but am having a difficult time deciding between two lower ranked schools that are regional. One has a higher ranking, one has some $$, both are somewhat equal in terms of employment prospects, i already have hella cheap housing in SF. I really want to stay in the bay area well unless i get an awesome public policy job in DC ;)

I think you meant people outside of the Bay Area will make fun of them for that. I vouch for socal making fun of hella.

Lasers

Postby Lasers » Wed Apr 06, 2011 4:07 am

veleda wrote:UI-B 120k
IU-UB - 60k
UMN - 60k
Boston College -60k
Hastings - 30k
Davis - Sticker

--

To the peope tat chose Hastings.why Hastings over Davis for EL Law? Davis recently recruited a top faculty member UC Berkeley who started an environmental law and public policy center and states they are doing extra work to make sure EL studets get agency internships and positis. This has m leaning towards Davis over Hastings should I choose a CA school (still waiting to hear back from UCLA)..

i think the 30k from hastings makes it an easy choice, though i have no idea how much an actual difference there is between the schools in regards to environmental law specifically.

also, if you get into ucla, go.

voice of reason

Postby voice of reason » Wed Apr 06, 2011 4:10 am

veleda wrote:To the peope tat chose Hastings.why Hastings over Davis for EL Law?

Because JDs from Hastings and Davis have essentially the same market value and you can get the Hastings degree for over $30,000 less.

In this judgment I am discounting your interest in specializing, because you are a 0L and therefore may change your mind, and because schools' purported strengths in specialties have dubious or at least uncertain value for landing jobs in those specialties. If you have good evidence that Davis will materially increase your chances of getting the job you want, maybe you should go there, but I wouldn't shell out an additional $30,000 to chase one faculty member who you haven't even met yet and who might move somewhere else anyway.

Postby 20160810 » Wed Apr 06, 2011 4:15 am

Is this 30K a year for Hastings or 30K total?

If the former, go to Hastings and don't think twice.

Lasers

Postby Lasers » Wed Apr 06, 2011 4:21 am

SBL wrote:Is this 30K a year for Hastings or 30K total?

If the former, go to Hastings and don't think twice.

i agree, if it's 30k total, i duno if that's big enough to not consider davis still.

with that said, for whatever reason, i got grants from hastings but nothing from davis, and the 11k for the first year already seems like enough to make hastings a clear favorite for me. when one peer school gives you (any) money, and the other peer school doesn't, go with the money, imo.

veleda

Postby veleda » Wed Apr 06, 2011 4:23 am

30k total for Hastings. If it was per year, would have already put in my deposit.

I am still waiting on 6 schools from T14...though the dominant opinion on TLS seems to be no news is bad news.

does it really make sense to go to Hastings/Davis over a higher ranked school outside of CA with scholly money?

numbers: 167/3.5/URM/tons of volunteer experience.

Lasers

Postby Lasers » Wed Apr 06, 2011 4:28 am

veleda wrote:30k total for Hastings. If it was per year, would have already put in my deposit.

I am still waiting on 6 schools from T14...though the dominant opinion on TLS seems to be no news is bad news.

does it really make sense to go to Hastings/Davis over a higher ranked school outside of CA with scholly money?

numbers: 167/3.5/URM/tons of volunteer experience.

honestly, you might get into ucla.

also, if you definitely want to work in CA, specifically the bay area, yes, i think it might make more sense to spurn out of state options.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”