Wake v. W&M

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Wake v. W&M

Wake
22%
W&M
78%

Total votes: 9

gizmo0516

Wake v. W&M

Postby gizmo0516 » Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:23 am

I've narrowed it down to either W&M or Wake, due to mostly financial considerations. (Decided against other, higher ranked schools bc I don't want to pay full sticker).

Wake is pretty cheap with the scholarship offer (and the fact that I would live with my bf and therefore have a ridiculously low cost of living). W&M offered instate tuition plus an additional scholarship, making it nearly the same price as Wake (but higher cost of living).

Is the difference in their ranks (W&M is about 10 spots higher than Wake) significant for job placement? I'm not sure if I want to work in VA or NC, so I can't count on my future location to help me decide. I realize both of them are very regional schools, but is going to the higher ranked school going to help me at all? (Other than in the VA market since it's a VA school and Wake is not.)

I would love to go to Wake for the reason that my bf lives in Greensboro, NC. If he wasn't in the picture though, I would probably choose W&M. However, it's not a dream school or anything (those hopes were shattered when I realized I would go 200k into debt to go to one of them!)

Opinions?

ndirish2010

Re: Wake v. W&M

Postby ndirish2010 » Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:24 am

Neither of these schools are really worth sticker. If you must choose one, W&M unless you want to work in NC.

gizmo0516

Postby gizmo0516 » Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:32 am

If you read the post, you would see that I am paying no where near sticker price for either of these schools... in fact, less than 10k tuition per year for each school.

ndirish2010

Postby ndirish2010 » Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:34 am

gizmo0516 wrote:If you read the post, you would see that I am paying no where near sticker price for either of these schools... in fact, less than 10k tuition per year for each school.

I just noticed that sentence, what I noticed before was the '200K debt' line. In that case, pick W&M unless you put a very high weight in being with your SO (or close to your SO).

Return to “Choosing a Law School”