Lurker needs help Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Where should I go (I want to end up in the Twin Cities)?

Michigan (30k scholarship, COA: 171,000)
53%
Duke (46k scholly, COA: 161,000)
3%
Georgetown (37,200 scholly, COA: 176,000)
3%
Cornell (75k scholly, COA: 144,000)
10%
Vandy (77k scholly, COA: 130,000)
3%
Minnesota (56k scholly, COA: 94,000)
30%

Total votes: 40

lawandstuff

New

Lurker needs help

Post by lawandstuff » Mon Apr 04, 2011 10:57 pm

So, after months of quietly reading these forums, I've decided to finally speak up because I seek some much needed advice. I'm really struggling about where to go to school next year. Here are my options:

Michigan (30k scholarship, COA: 171,000)
Duke (46k scholly, COA: 161,000)
Georgetown (37,200 scholly, COA: 176,000)
Cornell (75k scholly, COA: 144,000)
Vandy (77k scholly, COA: 130,000)
Minnesota (56k scholly, COA: 94,000)

The reason I'm struggling is because I'm from Minnesota, currently live in Minnesota, and would like to end up back in the Twin Cities (if not right after law school, eventually). For a career path, I'm public interest oriented, but could see myself doing BigLaw for a few years to pay off some debt. I'm debating whether it would be better to attend UMN and save some money, or if attending one of the higher ranked schools would be beneficial and worth the extra cash. For what it's worth, I've visited all of them and could see myself enjoying my time at each (although, Mich and Vandy were prolly my favorites). Please post a bit about why you voted the way you did. Thanks!!

Frasier27

New

Re: Lurker needs help

Post by Frasier27 » Mon Apr 04, 2011 11:10 pm

Narrow the choice to Michigan and Minnesota. Your schollies at the higher ranked schools aren't different enough to justify seriously considering any of the T14's (or Vandy) other than Michigan especially if you want to practice in the midwest and liked Michigan. Between Michigan and Minnesota it depends how you feel about debt, what type of law you want to practice and how sure you are that you want to practice in Minnesota.

snapdragon

Silver

Post by snapdragon » Tue Apr 05, 2011 9:02 am

I would try to bargain with Minn a bit. I got $60k from them and no way in heck am I qualified to get into any of the other schools you did. It would be worth a shot to try and get some more money from them, IMO.

Law Sauce

Silver

Post by Law Sauce » Tue Apr 05, 2011 9:12 am

Better schools definitely worth it long term if just for the options that it opens up, the connections that you will make, and the higher quality of educational experience. I was going to vote Cornell for the best value until I saw that you had a midwest/minn focus. I think Michigan is definitely the best option then (Cornell will not give you as many ready-made opportunities there) Michigan will open up doors anywhere in the midwest and set you apart from others in Minn. I'd only go to Minn over michigan if you wanted to live in the twin cities for sure your whole life even at the expense of a better job somewhere else. In this case, minn will help you make great connections there. But at that price, id probably still go to Michigan. plus you totally slanted the results in michigans favor by saying "although, Mich and Vandy were prolly my favorites." This make michigan a no-brainer, no one will ever tell you vandy over michigan for the midwest

buckilaw

Silver

Post by buckilaw » Tue Apr 05, 2011 9:28 am

I love Michigan, but less debt at Cornell looks very attractive. I would assume you could get a good job in Minn with a Cornell degree about as easily as you could from Mich. IMO don't rule Cornell out just yet.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Law Sauce

Silver

Post by Law Sauce » Tue Apr 05, 2011 9:49 am

buckilaw wrote:I love Michigan, but less debt at Cornell looks very attractive. I would assume you could get a good job in Minn with a Cornell degree about as easily as you could from Mich. IMO don't rule Cornell out just yet.
Yes, I agree definitely, very true. Michigan will just have easier more established connections and job pipelines all across the midwest. At Cornell you would be putting in the legwork, but smaller markets may not make a big difference between the two. I am sure that there are a lot more Michigan Alums in the twin cities though. I would take that into consideration. Less debt is better and probably could still work out the same, but Michigan offers op worthwhile added value for the extra price I think. But neither are wrong, personal preference in play I'd say.

buckilaw

Silver

Post by buckilaw » Tue Apr 05, 2011 9:52 am

Law Sauce wrote:
buckilaw wrote:I love Michigan, but less debt at Cornell looks very attractive. I would assume you could get a good job in Minn with a Cornell degree about as easily as you could from Mich. IMO don't rule Cornell out just yet.
Yes, I agree definitely, very true. Michigan will just have easier more established connections and job pipelines all across the midwest. At Cornell you would be putting in the legwork, but smaller markets may not make a big difference between the two. I am sure that there are a lot more Michigan Alums in the twin cities though. I would take that into consideration. Less debt is better and probably could still work out the same, but Michigan offers op worthwhile added value for the extra price I think. But neither are wrong, personal preference in play I'd say.
This is true. OP needs to determine if Mich's added value in the midwest -w/e that may be quantified as- is worth the extra debt.

paulinaporizkova

Gold

Post by paulinaporizkova » Tue Apr 05, 2011 10:12 am

snapdragon wrote:I would try to bargain with Minn a bit. I got $60k from them and no way in heck am I qualified to get into any of the other schools you did. It would be worth a shot to try and get some more money from them, IMO.
for realz. i am a MN resident also, got rejected from Michigan, tiny $ from Cornell, otherwise no t14 money, and I got like 150k from UMN- guaranteed full scholarship plus stipend. what gives? are you a nontrad applicant or what?

lawandstuff

New

Post by lawandstuff » Tue Apr 05, 2011 10:36 am

buckilaw wrote:
Law Sauce wrote:
This is true. OP needs to determine if Mich's added value in the midwest -w/e that may be quantified as- is worth the extra debt.
This is exactly what I'm struggling with...if it weren't for the extra debt, I think I'd pick Mich in a heartbeat. Do you think there's any chance Michigan would up their scholly a bit if I showed them the 75k from Cornell?
paulinaporizkova wrote:
snapdragon wrote:I would try to bargain with Minn a bit. I got $60k from them and no way in heck am I qualified to get into any of the other schools you did. It would be worth a shot to try and get some more money from them, IMO.
for realz. i am a MN resident also, got rejected from Michigan, tiny $ from Cornell, otherwise no t14 money, and I got like 150k from UMN- guaranteed full scholarship plus stipend. what gives? are you a nontrad applicant or what?
really?? wow. I'm not nontraditional at all - been outta undergrad for a year with some paralegal experience, decent softs. I talked to some people at the ASW and it seemed that UMN was throwing money at out-of-staters, which is why I thought my money seemed a bit low. But holy shit, I am definitely going to try some negotiation.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

paulinaporizkova

Gold

Post by paulinaporizkova » Tue Apr 05, 2011 10:39 am

lawandstuff wrote:
This is exactly what I'm struggling with...if it weren't for the extra debt, I think I'd pick Mich in a heartbeat. Do you think there's any chance Michigan would up their scholly a bit if I showed them the 75k from Cornell?
no

lawandstuff

New

Post by lawandstuff » Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:16 am

paulinaporizkova wrote:
lawandstuff wrote:
no
yeah, didn't really think so.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”