.

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
User avatar
BruceWayne
Posts: 2032
Joined: Sat Aug 14, 2010 9:36 pm

Re: Columbia $ vs. Chicago $$ vs. Penn $$

Postby BruceWayne » Thu Apr 14, 2011 10:12 pm

bk1 wrote:
hiddenfist wrote:But the difference between Chicago and Columbia isn't that substantial.

If you end up in the bottom 1/3 of the class (e.g. no biglaw, no PI/gov), you're gonna be much happier that you took out 50k+ less while you're paying back your loans on a meager salary.


LRAP?


Hence why I said "no PI/gov." There is a non-insignificant amount of T14 grads (and yes even at CC) who end up at small firms with low pay that does not qualify for LRAP (it might qualify for 25 year IBR but big fucking whoop on that).[/quote]

Being bottom 25 percent at UChi or CLS doesn't automatically rule you out of biglaw, and certainly not PI. There's a bottom 25 percent UChi grad on here who's working as an AUSA in one of the most competitive USAO's in the country.

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18422
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: Columbia $ vs. Chicago $$ vs. Penn $$

Postby bk1 » Thu Apr 14, 2011 10:13 pm

BruceWayne wrote:Being bottom 25 percent at UChi or CLS doesn't automatically rule you out of biglaw, and certainly not PI. There's a bottom 25 percent UChi grad on here who's working as an AUSA in one of the most competitive USAO's in the country.


I didn't mean it to say that a class rank of X automatically ruled you. My point was more that a decent chunk of the class doesn't have either of these types of jobs.

User avatar
Dany
Posts: 11580
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2009 3:00 pm

Re: Columbia $ vs. Chicago $$ vs. Penn $$

Postby Dany » Thu Apr 14, 2011 10:17 pm

hiddenfist wrote:
Sentry wrote:
Dany wrote:
hiddenfist wrote:Not to necro this thread but what is the best choice between:

Columbia with 25k
NYU with 50k
Chicago with 75k?

Take the money at Chi unless you have reasons for really wanting to be in NYC for three years or strongly prefer it.

:-(

If the thought of Chicago is that unbearable to you, then go to Columbia. But why ask the question if you're just going to frown at the responses?

User avatar
Dany
Posts: 11580
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2009 3:00 pm

Re: Columbia $ vs. Chicago $$ vs. Penn $$

Postby Dany » Thu Apr 14, 2011 10:19 pm

hiddenfist wrote:
Sentry wrote:
Dany wrote:
hiddenfist wrote:Not to necro this thread but what is the best choice between:

Columbia with 25k
NYU with 50k
Chicago with 75k?

Take the money at Chi unless you have reasons for really wanting to be in NYC for three years or strongly prefer it.

:-(

If the thought of attending Chicago is that sad to you, then go to Columbia. It's a fantastic school. But why ask the question if you're just going to frown at the opinions of others?

jeremysen
Posts: 241
Joined: Mon Dec 20, 2010 3:07 am

Re: Columbia $ vs. Chicago $$ vs. Penn $$

Postby jeremysen » Thu Apr 14, 2011 10:23 pm

Either Chicago with 75k or Columbia with 25k. Penn's out of the picture, OP

User avatar
TaipeiMort
Posts: 874
Joined: Tue Jun 02, 2009 11:51 pm

Re: Columbia $ vs. Chicago $$ vs. Penn $$

Postby TaipeiMort » Thu Apr 14, 2011 10:23 pm

Columbia and Chicago are about as peer as it gets. I would say that the bottom third at Chicago are better off than the bottom third at CLS because of the small class size and would definitely have a better shot at NYC Biglaw due to the relatively lower level of competition in-class and high demand.

However, don't make a decision at the margains based on 50k. If you like CLS better, it is really not worth going to Chicago for 50k. You are likely going to be making $$$ for the rest of your life, and these are some of the prime years of your life. If you hate living in NYC or Hyde Park repectively, the value you've lost is much greater than 50k.

luckdragon
Posts: 28
Joined: Sun Mar 06, 2011 12:14 pm

Re: Columbia $ vs. Chicago $$ vs. Penn $$

Postby luckdragon » Thu Apr 14, 2011 10:27 pm

I don't know where you live now and how much experience you have with NYC, OP, but UWS sucks.

P.S. $50,000 is a lot of money.

cornellbeez
Posts: 301
Joined: Sun Aug 12, 2007 12:43 am

Re: Columbia $ vs. Chicago $$ vs. Penn $$

Postby cornellbeez » Fri Apr 15, 2011 1:04 am

Chicago

eaa1537
Posts: 384
Joined: Sat Oct 30, 2010 10:21 am

Re: Columbia $ vs. Chicago $$ vs. Penn $$

Postby eaa1537 » Fri Apr 15, 2011 1:10 am

.
Last edited by eaa1537 on Fri May 11, 2012 3:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Knock
Posts: 5152
Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2009 3:09 pm

Re: Columbia $ vs. Chicago $$ vs. Penn $$

Postby Knock » Fri Apr 15, 2011 1:12 am

eaa1537 wrote:Hey everyone- thanks so much for your feedback!

Just thought I'd add some new information.

I just got offered the Levy at Penn. I think it's pretty clear that I should pick Penn now over both Chicago and Columbia but part of me is still really hesitant. I don't think I made it as clear in my OP that money really isn't an issue for me as my tuition will basically be covered by family no matter where I go.

So I would love it if people either re-voted or gave opinions on the Levy at Penn. I would unfortunately have to withdraw from Stanford and Harvard prior to having heard from them, so that is a factor that is holding me back. I don't like "what ifs." So would other people still pick the Levy and not look back even though it means never knowing if you could get into Harvard or Stanford? Should I take the money and run?

Thanks!!!


When did you apply? I think you should accept the Levy. It sucks you don't get to hear back from S or H, but if you've been waiting a while, and I think you have, the odds of hearing good news aren't good anyways. Certainly not good enough to pass up the Levy.

If you pass it up, you may not get into H or S and end up regretting it and having to lose out on some money. The Levy looks nice on a resume too ;).

An alternate route as well, you could try and get Chicago or Columbia to up their offer by leveraging your Levy.

User avatar
tyro
Posts: 648
Joined: Sat Mar 26, 2011 2:23 am

Re: Columbia $ vs. Chicago $$ vs. Penn $$$$

Postby tyro » Fri Apr 15, 2011 1:19 am

I'm waiting for Veyron to post ITT.

eaa1537
Posts: 384
Joined: Sat Oct 30, 2010 10:21 am

Re: Columbia $ vs. Chicago $$ vs. Penn $$

Postby eaa1537 » Fri Apr 15, 2011 1:27 am

.
Last edited by eaa1537 on Fri May 11, 2012 3:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Knock
Posts: 5152
Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2009 3:09 pm

Re: Columbia $ vs. Chicago $$ vs. Penn $$

Postby Knock » Fri Apr 15, 2011 1:28 am

eaa1537 wrote:
Knock wrote:When did you apply? I think you should accept the Levy. It sucks you don't get to hear back from S or H, but if you've been waiting a while, and I think you have, the odds of hearing good news aren't good anyways. Certainly not good enough to pass up the Levy.

If you pass it up, you may not get into H or S and end up regretting it and having to lose out on some money. The Levy looks nice on a resume too ;).

An alternate route as well, you could try and get Chicago or Columbia to up their offer by leveraging your Levy.


Yeah I've been UR at Harvard since November, with a JR1 in February. Stanford I've been UR since December. So, I agree that my prospects looks bleak- but "what if." Idk- hard choice. But I am slowly starting to like the idea of the Levy- I mean it sounds good on a resume right? And I kind of feel like a "special" student instead of 1 of 300. I don't know if that's a valid consideration but it is a feeling I have. Even though I LOVED Columbia, I don't want to feel like that there...


When do you have to accept by? You could email Stanford and inform them of your scholarship deadline and try and get a decision from them.

eaa1537
Posts: 384
Joined: Sat Oct 30, 2010 10:21 am

Re: Columbia $ vs. Chicago $$ vs. Penn $$$$

Postby eaa1537 » Fri Apr 15, 2011 1:42 am

.
Last edited by eaa1537 on Fri May 11, 2012 3:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Knock
Posts: 5152
Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2009 3:09 pm

Re: Columbia $ vs. Chicago $$ vs. Penn $$$$

Postby Knock » Fri Apr 15, 2011 1:43 am

eaa1537 wrote:I only have until next Tuesday and I'm very nervous about making a decision. I'll definitely be emailing Stanford tm though- thanks for that advice!


No worries. I think even if your family was willing to pay for your law school, having a full scholarship definitely takes a lot of pressure of you. Which will probably make for a (relatively) more enjoyable and relaxing law school experience.

User avatar
hiddenfist
Posts: 83
Joined: Sat Aug 21, 2010 2:13 pm

Re: Columbia $ vs. Chicago $$ vs. Penn $$

Postby hiddenfist » Fri Apr 15, 2011 9:35 am

Dany wrote:
hiddenfist wrote:
Sentry wrote:
Dany wrote:Columbia with 25k
NYU with 50k
Chicago with 75k?

Take the money at Chi unless you have reasons for really wanting to be in NYC for three years or strongly prefer it.

:-(

If the thought of Chicago is that unbearable to you, then go to Columbia. But why ask the question if you're just going to frown at the responses?[/quote]

Just a frown? Use your interpretive powers --

first it appears that if you are going to be happier or have personal reasons to be in NYC Columbia is a better choice, but then that too is corrected.

User avatar
cucullu
Posts: 102
Joined: Sat Mar 19, 2011 11:03 am

Re: Columbia $ vs. Penn $$$$ vs. waiting for Harvard/Stanford

Postby cucullu » Fri Apr 15, 2011 2:17 pm

Knock wrote:
eaa1537 wrote:I only have until next Tuesday and I'm very nervous about making a decision. I'll definitely be emailing Stanford tm though- thanks for that advice!


No worries. I think even if your family was willing to pay for your law school, having a full scholarship definitely takes a lot of pressure of you. Which will probably make for a (relatively) more enjoyable and relaxing law school experience.


I agree with this. It's nice to feel like an adult and know that you "paid" for law school via your own merit-earned scholarship. Current law students have told me that named scholarships look stellar on your resume, esp. when you are applying for 1L jobs before first semester grades are out.

I looked up the Levy and it sounds pretty sweet. The extra faculty attention would be nice.

Good luck with your decision!

User avatar
ahduth
Posts: 2468
Joined: Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:55 am

Re: Columbia $ vs. Penn $$$$ vs. waiting for Harvard/Stanford

Postby ahduth » Fri Apr 15, 2011 2:27 pm

cucullu wrote:
Knock wrote:
eaa1537 wrote:I only have until next Tuesday and I'm very nervous about making a decision. I'll definitely be emailing Stanford tm though- thanks for that advice!


No worries. I think even if your family was willing to pay for your law school, having a full scholarship definitely takes a lot of pressure of you. Which will probably make for a (relatively) more enjoyable and relaxing law school experience.


I agree with this. It's nice to feel like an adult and know that you "paid" for law school via your own merit-earned scholarship. Current law students have told me that named scholarships look stellar on your resume, esp. when you are applying for 1L jobs before first semester grades are out.

I looked up the Levy and it sounds pretty sweet. The extra faculty attention would be nice.

Good luck with your decision!


I kind of feel like she should add a "which school will buy me a pony" option to the poll.

Not to hate too much OP, but you need to get your head in the game and take the money.

User avatar
Non-Chalant1
Posts: 852
Joined: Thu Jul 03, 2008 1:54 pm

Re: Columbia $ vs. Penn $$$$ vs. waiting for Harvard/Stanford

Postby Non-Chalant1 » Fri Apr 15, 2011 2:47 pm

ahduth wrote:
cucullu wrote:
Knock wrote:
eaa1537 wrote:I only have until next Tuesday and I'm very nervous about making a decision. I'll definitely be emailing Stanford tm though- thanks for that advice!


No worries. I think even if your family was willing to pay for your law school, having a full scholarship definitely takes a lot of pressure of you. Which will probably make for a (relatively) more enjoyable and relaxing law school experience.


I agree with this. It's nice to feel like an adult and know that you "paid" for law school via your own merit-earned scholarship. Current law students have told me that named scholarships look stellar on your resume, esp. when you are applying for 1L jobs before first semester grades are out.

I looked up the Levy and it sounds pretty sweet. The extra faculty attention would be nice.

Good luck with your decision!


I kind of feel like she should add a "which school will buy me a pony" option to the poll.

Not to hate too much OP, but you need to get your head in the game and take the money.

It's the luxury of not having to worry about money.

eaa1537
Posts: 384
Joined: Sat Oct 30, 2010 10:21 am

Re: Columbia $ vs. Penn $$$$ vs. waiting for Harvard/Stanford

Postby eaa1537 » Fri Apr 15, 2011 3:37 pm

.
Last edited by eaa1537 on Fri May 11, 2012 3:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18422
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: Columbia $ vs. Chicago $$ vs. Penn $$

Postby bk1 » Fri Apr 15, 2011 4:29 pm

eaa1537 wrote:Hey everyone- thanks so much for your feedback!

Just thought I'd add some new information.

I just got offered the Levy at Penn. I think it's pretty clear that I should pick Penn now over both Chicago and Columbia but part of me is still really hesitant. I don't think I made it as clear in my OP that money really isn't an issue for me as my tuition will basically be covered by family no matter where I go.

So I would love it if people either re-voted or gave opinions on the Levy at Penn. I would unfortunately have to withdraw from Stanford and Harvard prior to having heard from them, so that is a factor that is holding me back. I don't like "what ifs." So would other people still pick the Levy and not look back even though it means never knowing if you could get into Harvard or Stanford? Should I take the money and run?

Thanks!!!


Penn makes you withdraw from other schools that you haven't heard from and are waitlisted at for the Levy? That seems ridiculous to me.

I vote take the Levy since I assume your chances at H/S are very low this late in the cycle.

pleasepickme
Posts: 151
Joined: Thu Dec 17, 2009 12:58 am

Re: Columbia $ vs. Penn $$$$ vs. waiting for Harvard/Stanford

Postby pleasepickme » Fri Apr 15, 2011 4:37 pm

I would say take the scholly at Columbia, let the Levy go, and wait on H/S, particularly if $$ isn't a big issue for you. If you're strong enough to qualify for the Levy, you're strong enough to make high waitlist at H/S, and if one of them calls, you'll be glad you still have the option to say yes. I faced a similar choice last year, so feel free to PM if you want to chat more.

HeavenWood
Posts: 2915
Joined: Wed Jul 28, 2010 6:42 pm

Re: Columbia $ vs. Chicago $$ vs. Penn $$

Postby HeavenWood » Fri Apr 15, 2011 4:58 pm

bk1 wrote:I vote take the Levy since I assume your chances at H/S are very low this late in the cycle.


This. Columbia isn't worth 130k more than Penn.

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: Columbia $ vs. Penn $$$$ vs. waiting for Harvard/Stanford

Postby 09042014 » Fri Apr 15, 2011 5:25 pm

Definitely Penn.




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot] and 2 guests