DU $$$ or UTK

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
mrwarre85
Posts: 685
Joined: Fri Feb 27, 2009 8:40 pm

DU $$$ or UTK

Postby mrwarre85 » Mon Apr 04, 2011 4:25 pm

University of Denver total cost 66k.
University of Tennessee total cost 120k.

Denver is a large law school and seems to have more interesting specializations. Tennessee is a small law school with better employment numbers and seems to be more of a meat and potatoes law school. I liked both when I visited and both have full time medians at 160, 3.5ish, although DU does a better job marketing themselves and or seems to be on the rise-- they certainly have one of the best law facilities in the country. Tennessee also claims to be have a bigger region IE jobs possible in other states in the South. However, I would be happy working in either Tennessee or Colorado, but may want to leave Colorado after a few years.

Tennessee may have a better program for my SO.

Not worried about losing scholarship at DU-- top half, with one semester probation.

I know all the things TLS usually posts, what I'm interested in is what YOU would do in my situation. Tell me your reasons.

User avatar
buckilaw
Posts: 840
Joined: Fri May 07, 2010 1:27 am

Re: DU $$$ or UTK

Postby buckilaw » Mon Apr 04, 2011 4:31 pm

If I were you I'd retake, work a bit, and ED to NU in 2-3 years. If you must go to law school now limit your debt and go to DU since the job prospects from DU and UTK are unlikely to be significantly different. FWIW I'd rather live in Denver than Tennessee.

User avatar
buckilaw
Posts: 840
Joined: Fri May 07, 2010 1:27 am

Re: DU $$$ or UTK

Postby buckilaw » Mon Apr 04, 2011 4:33 pm

[quote="mrwarre85"]
Not worried about losing scholarship at DU-- top half, with one semester probation.

[quote]

With over 300 posts you ought to know enough to be concerned. Try to negotiate the stips down to good standing.

mrwarre85
Posts: 685
Joined: Fri Feb 27, 2009 8:40 pm

Re: DU $$$ or UTK

Postby mrwarre85 » Mon Apr 04, 2011 4:35 pm

buckilaw wrote:
mrwarre85 wrote:Not worried about losing scholarship at DU-- top half, with one semester probation.


With over 300 posts you ought to know enough to be concerned. Try to negotiate the stips down to good standing.


Seems like only about 10% of kids lose their money at DU. I'm not concerned about being in that small group.

Wactawshus
Posts: 69
Joined: Thu Apr 15, 2010 4:59 pm

Re: DU $$$ or UTK

Postby Wactawshus » Mon Apr 04, 2011 4:38 pm

buckilaw wrote:If I were you I'd retake, work a bit, and ED to NU in 2-3 years. If you must go to law school now limit your debt and go to DU since the job prospects from DU and UTK are unlikely to be significantly different. FWIW I'd rather live in Denver than Tennessee.


LMAO!

OP have you factored in receiving in-state tuition at Tennessee? If you are married & your SO gets a job there is even a chance you could qualify for in-state your 1st year...albeit a slight chance.

Both are really respected schools in their region. Tennessee might help you down the road if you were looking to move around the southeast. IDK that Denver can say the same thing, but I agree with you in that it seems Denver is getting better.

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18422
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: DU $$$ or UTK

Postby bk1 » Mon Apr 04, 2011 4:46 pm

1. You should be slightly worried since you have a roughly 50% chance of losing it.

2. Pick whether you want Tennessee or Denver.

3. All else equal, go to Denver because it's cheaper.

mrwarre85
Posts: 685
Joined: Fri Feb 27, 2009 8:40 pm

Re: DU $$$ or UTK

Postby mrwarre85 » Mon Apr 04, 2011 4:51 pm

bk1 wrote:1. You should be slightly worried since you have a roughly 50% chance of losing it.

2. Pick whether you want Tennessee or Denver.

3. All else equal, go to Denver because it's cheaper.


Where would you go?

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18422
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: DU $$$ or UTK

Postby bk1 » Mon Apr 04, 2011 4:53 pm

mrwarre85 wrote:Where would you go?


I think the choice is between UTK with the "better program for SO," whatever that is, and the fact that DU costs 50% less. Is that better program worth 60k? I can't answer because I have no idea what you are referring to and all the costs associated with that program versus other programs.

Since I don't know anything about that side of the calculation I err towards DU because it costs a lot less.

User avatar
Fred_McGriff
Posts: 396
Joined: Mon Jun 28, 2010 12:43 pm

Re: DU $$$ or UTK

Postby Fred_McGriff » Mon Apr 04, 2011 4:59 pm

I'd go to Tennessee.

mrwarre85
Posts: 685
Joined: Fri Feb 27, 2009 8:40 pm

Re: DU $$$ or UTK

Postby mrwarre85 » Mon Apr 04, 2011 5:21 pm

Fred_McGriff wrote:I'd go to Tennessee.


Thanks. Better region for you?

mrwarre85
Posts: 685
Joined: Fri Feb 27, 2009 8:40 pm

Re: DU $$$ or UTK

Postby mrwarre85 » Mon Apr 04, 2011 5:24 pm

bk1 wrote:
mrwarre85 wrote:Where would you go?


I think the choice is between UTK with the "better program for SO," whatever that is, and the fact that DU costs 50% less. Is that better program worth 60k? I can't answer because I have no idea what you are referring to and all the costs associated with that program versus other programs.

Since I don't know anything about that side of the calculation I err towards DU because it costs a lot less.


The better program for my SO is a MBA with a focus on entrepreneurship. She has a good shot at a full ride at UT because of a special program, whereas I imagine she could get some merit aid at CU - Denver or DU. However, their business school isn't as highly ranked nor does it have her particular desired program.

BeautifulSW
Posts: 582
Joined: Fri Jul 09, 2010 11:52 am

Re: DU $$$ or UTK

Postby BeautifulSW » Mon Apr 04, 2011 7:03 pm

I have zero idea of what the UTK market area looks like but I can tell you that if you go for DU there is a substantial chance that you will not have a job at graduation. Don't misunderstand me; I'm sure DU offers a perfectly good legal education. In fact, I know it does since I deal with DU trained lawyers every day. But I deal with them in New Mexico not Colorado. And the story I hear is always the same: "No jobs." What jobs there are in the Front Range seem to go to CU grads.

User avatar
pinkcamellia
Posts: 959
Joined: Sun Dec 12, 2010 5:59 pm

Re: DU $$$ or UTK

Postby pinkcamellia » Mon Apr 04, 2011 7:24 pm

mrwarre, I withdrew from DU with a big scholly because they could not provide solid employment data and other grads said the prospects were dismal(I have a cousin at a firm in Denver who went to UC and he says the few DU grads there are stuck with a lot of debt). However, I know that most judges in the area went to DU, so if that is something you're looking into, maybe DU is the place for you.

Tennessee grads do well from what I hear. Many Vandy grads head elsewhere and then UTK is top dog. If your SO is future wife material, then consider her in your choice. If not, I hate to say it, but you need to think more about your own personal needs. But the debt at UTK is considerable. Do you have offers from peer schools that you could use to negotiate a small scholly from them?

Best of luck!

User avatar
Fred_McGriff
Posts: 396
Joined: Mon Jun 28, 2010 12:43 pm

Re: DU $$$ or UTK

Postby Fred_McGriff » Mon Apr 04, 2011 7:53 pm

mrwarre85 wrote:
Fred_McGriff wrote:I'd go to Tennessee.


Thanks. Better region for you?


Better region, in my mind a better name, and I loved the place when I visited. Denver is way too flat and dry.

mrwarre85
Posts: 685
Joined: Fri Feb 27, 2009 8:40 pm

Re: DU $$$ or UTK

Postby mrwarre85 » Mon Apr 04, 2011 8:15 pm

pinkcamellia wrote:mrwarre, I withdrew from DU with a big scholly because they could not provide solid employment data and other grads said the prospects were dismal(I have a cousin at a firm in Denver who went to UC and he says the few DU grads there are stuck with a lot of debt). However, I know that most judges in the area went to DU, so if that is something you're looking into, maybe DU is the place for you.

Tennessee grads do well from what I hear. Many Vandy grads head elsewhere and then UTK is top dog. If your SO is future wife material, then consider her in your choice. If not, I hate to say it, but you need to think more about your own personal needs. But the debt at UTK is considerable. Do you have offers from peer schools that you could use to negotiate a small scholly from them?

Best of luck!


No I have acceptance from peer schools - Baylor and Colorado. Then I have the big scholly from DU.

It seems like UTK has no cash this cycle. There was a guy who was 168/3.5 from TN who only got 3k a year.

By the way when you say they could not provide data do you mean they did not send you the data from 2010? I have asked for that and I'm afraid they are stonewalling me. The 2009 data from DU as available on USNEWS is terrifying.

User avatar
pinkcamellia
Posts: 959
Joined: Sun Dec 12, 2010 5:59 pm

Re: DU $$$ or UTK

Postby pinkcamellia » Mon Apr 04, 2011 8:46 pm

mrwarre85 wrote:
pinkcamellia wrote:mrwarre, I withdrew from DU with a big scholly because they could not provide solid employment data and other grads said the prospects were dismal(I have a cousin at a firm in Denver who went to UC and he says the few DU grads there are stuck with a lot of debt). However, I know that most judges in the area went to DU, so if that is something you're looking into, maybe DU is the place for you.

Tennessee grads do well from what I hear. Many Vandy grads head elsewhere and then UTK is top dog. If your SO is future wife material, then consider her in your choice. If not, I hate to say it, but you need to think more about your own personal needs. But the debt at UTK is considerable. Do you have offers from peer schools that you could use to negotiate a small scholly from them?

Best of luck!


No I have acceptance from peer schools - Baylor and Colorado. Then I have the big scholly from DU.

It seems like UTK has no cash this cycle. There was a guy who was 168/3.5 from TN who only got 3k a year.

By the way when you say they could not provide data do you mean they did not send you the data from 2010? I have asked for that and I'm afraid they are stonewalling me. The 2009 data from DU as available on USNEWS is terrifying.


I asked for employment data and a list of employers that came to OCI. I was flat-out denied. Plus, and I posted this in the DU thread, I sent an email with Qs and was aways polite, but they never responded with answers and were just all-around rude. I called twice and neither message was ever returned. I just felt ignored. But you may have had a more positive experience - mine is anecdotal.

Colorado has the name that will carry across the state and out of Denver, which Denver can't exactly do right now. I hear Baylor is tough, and probably not worth it without $$. Unfortunately, you don't have much bargaining power here. Maybe wait it out a cycle, retake, and apply to peer schools of the schools you desire to leverage $$?

Wactawshus
Posts: 69
Joined: Thu Apr 15, 2010 4:59 pm

Re: DU $$$ or UTK

Postby Wactawshus » Mon Apr 04, 2011 9:21 pm

Speaking strictly on potential - 2 incomes (1 with a MBA & 1 JD) in Knoxville will afford you a much more comfortable life then the same in Denver. Of course this is just hypothetically speaking. As someone else mentioned, UTK is really the top of the hill for most of Tennessee. The kids from Vandy generally shoot off to other places. IDK about Denver, but Knoxville is a pretty cool place to live.

User avatar
mpj_3050
Posts: 372
Joined: Fri Oct 02, 2009 9:59 pm

Re: DU $$$ or UTK

Postby mpj_3050 » Mon Apr 04, 2011 9:40 pm

I would go with UT if and only if your significant other would be moving with you, guaranteed, and can help offest living expenses. I gather from your OP that Tennessee is pretty strict on residency, based off of the 120k figure?

I would be concerned about losing the Dever scholarship; top 50% doesn't sound bad but neither one of us has ever taken a law school exam. Also, what if you have to pay full-price at some point?

mrwarre85
Posts: 685
Joined: Fri Feb 27, 2009 8:40 pm

Re: DU $$$ or UTK

Postby mrwarre85 » Mon Apr 04, 2011 11:46 pm

mpj_3050 wrote:I would go with UT if and only if your significant other would be moving with you, guaranteed, and can help offest living expenses. I gather from your OP that Tennessee is pretty strict on residency, based off of the 120k figure?

I would be concerned about losing the Dever scholarship; top 50% doesn't sound bad but neither one of us has ever taken a law school exam. Also, what if you have to pay full-price at some point?


Spoke with DU and every year only 10 to 15 of the 300 students lose their scholarships. Its possible, but highly unlikely. I also think DU is less competitive than UTK.

The 120k figure at UTK is actually taking into account that I could get in-state my 2L and 3L years. I'm engaged and according to their admissions office I should be fine for those two years. I am simply factoring in cost of living at both DU and UTK in order to get those figures.

User avatar
Lawquacious
Posts: 2037
Joined: Fri Oct 23, 2009 10:36 am

Re: DU $$$ or UTK

Postby Lawquacious » Mon Apr 04, 2011 11:59 pm

This has been stated at least indirectly, but it is largely a question of where you want to practice IMO. If you would prefer to be in Denver area (for a long time) then I would go with DU. If you'd prefer to live in TN after grad then TN. If no strong preference, then maybe go to the school that works best with your family situation. Just realize that at both of these schools your employment options may be limited to the state the school is in (and may be limited in general). If retaking is an option, it may not be a bad idea- especially if you have only taken the LSAT once and have no compelling reason to immediately start law school. It sounds like the extra time may also allow your SO to figure out what schools are being looked at on his/her side of things.

CanadianWolf
Posts: 10439
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:54 pm

Re: DU $$$ or UTK

Postby CanadianWolf » Tue Apr 05, 2011 1:59 pm

Very few seem to leave the Denver area, so you might like it more than you anticipate.




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: big_willy_style_333, JoshLyman13, ponderingmeerkat, Yahoo [Bot] and 11 guests