Loyola Chicago Vs U San Diego

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Fabs5180
Posts: 17
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2011 6:13 pm

Loyola Chicago Vs U San Diego

Postby Fabs5180 » Mon Apr 04, 2011 4:09 pm

I haven't heard back from all the schools yet, but it is looking like I will have to pay a seat deposit soon. I have been waitlisted at a bunch of schools and accepted at 2:

Loyola Chicago (10,000k/year scholarship) - Deposit Due 4/15

U San Diego (sticker) - Deposit Due 4/30

I am looking to get involved in sports law so I have applied mostly to schools where I will have opportunities to intern with sports teams/agencies during law school. Any advice or information you guys have would be appreciated.

User avatar
aknecht
Posts: 164
Joined: Mon Feb 07, 2011 10:10 am

Re: Loyola Chicago Vs U San Diego

Postby aknecht » Tue Apr 05, 2011 9:01 am

well do you like snow?

User avatar
jcunni5
Posts: 226
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2009 12:51 pm

Re: Loyola Chicago Vs U San Diego

Postby jcunni5 » Tue Apr 05, 2011 9:12 am

USD--- it's a better school and more dominant in its market- admittedly at sticker it's a tough sell but even w/ 30k i think LUC is the worse option

User avatar
introversional
Posts: 181
Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:59 am

Re: Loyola Chicago Vs U San Diego

Postby introversional » Tue Apr 05, 2011 9:16 am

Fabs5180 wrote:I haven't heard back from all the schools yet, but it is looking like I will have to pay a seat deposit soon. I have been waitlisted at a bunch of schools and accepted at 2:

Loyola Chicago (10,000k/year scholarship) - Deposit Due 4/15

U San Diego (sticker) - Deposit Due 4/30

I am looking to get involved in sports law so I have applied mostly to schools where I will have opportunities to intern with sports teams/agencies during law school. Any advice or information you guys have would be appreciated.


Doesn't Marquette have a well known sports law program??? Anyways, Chicago is a terrific sports town, but San Diego is probably more accessible w/regards to interning, etc.

Btw, San Diego = beautiful mediterranean-like climate year round

Chicago = 7 month winters

User avatar
classix
Posts: 97
Joined: Thu Feb 17, 2011 3:47 pm

Re: Loyola Chicago Vs U San Diego

Postby classix » Tue Apr 05, 2011 9:36 am

FWIW I saw on research thread somewhere here that estimated 30% of LUC grads do doc review...

Also SD has way better QOL.

Fabs5180
Posts: 17
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2011 6:13 pm

Re: Loyola Chicago Vs U San Diego

Postby Fabs5180 » Tue Apr 05, 2011 1:31 pm

introversional wrote:
Fabs5180 wrote:I haven't heard back from all the schools yet, but it is looking like I will have to pay a seat deposit soon. I have been waitlisted at a bunch of schools and accepted at 2:

Loyola Chicago (10,000k/year scholarship) - Deposit Due 4/15

U San Diego (sticker) - Deposit Due 4/30

I am looking to get involved in sports law so I have applied mostly to schools where I will have opportunities to intern with sports teams/agencies during law school. Any advice or information you guys have would be appreciated.


Doesn't Marquette have a well known sports law program??? Anyways, Chicago is a terrific sports town, but San Diego is probably more accessible w/regards to interning, etc.

Btw, San Diego = beautiful mediterranean-like climate year round

Chicago = 7 month winters


Marquette does have a sports law program but I didn't end up applying there because they're ranked at the lower end of the top 100. Tulane does as well and is a first tier school. I am still waiting on a decision from them.

I'm from Buffalo, NY so I've dealt with terrible winters my whole life. This is a big reason why I'm leaning towards San Diego.

bearsfan1
Posts: 104
Joined: Wed Feb 09, 2011 5:49 pm

Re: Loyola Chicago Vs U San Diego

Postby bearsfan1 » Tue Apr 05, 2011 1:47 pm

Fabs5180 wrote:
introversional wrote:
Fabs5180 wrote:I haven't heard back from all the schools yet, but it is looking like I will have to pay a seat deposit soon. I have been waitlisted at a bunch of schools and accepted at 2:

Loyola Chicago (10,000k/year scholarship) - Deposit Due 4/15

U San Diego (sticker) - Deposit Due 4/30

I am looking to get involved in sports law so I have applied mostly to schools where I will have opportunities to intern with sports teams/agencies during law school. Any advice or information you guys have would be appreciated.


Doesn't Marquette have a well known sports law program??? Anyways, Chicago is a terrific sports town, but San Diego is probably more accessible w/regards to interning, etc.

Btw, San Diego = beautiful mediterranean-like climate year round

Chicago = 7 month winters


Marquette does have a sports law program but I didn't end up applying there because they're ranked at the lower end of the top 100. Tulane does as well and is a first tier school. I am still waiting on a decision from them.

I'm from Buffalo, NY so I've dealt with terrible winters my whole life. This is a big reason why I'm leaning towards San Diego.


Where do you want to work after you graduate? It might be tough to get a job in San Diego after graduation since you're from the opposite side of the country.

User avatar
EstboundNDwn
Posts: 170
Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2011 6:15 pm

Re: Loyola Chicago Vs U San Diego

Postby EstboundNDwn » Tue Apr 05, 2011 2:13 pm

Fabs5180 wrote:I am looking to get involved in sports law so I have applied mostly to schools where I will have opportunities to intern with sports teams/agencies during law school. Any advice or information you guys have would be appreciated.


Chicago is definitely a better sports town, but there aren't as many people running to San Diego to work with sports teams. And the Padres are even moving their AAA team to North County San Diego within the next 3-5 years, so that adds another job opportunity.

http://www.10news.com/news/26154672/detail.html

chb462
Posts: 12
Joined: Tue Mar 22, 2011 11:52 am

Re: Loyola Chicago Vs U San Diego

Postby chb462 » Tue Apr 05, 2011 2:21 pm

I'm going to University of Chicago, if you need a roommate we can split the costs.

Fabs5180
Posts: 17
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2011 6:13 pm

Re: Loyola Chicago Vs U San Diego

Postby Fabs5180 » Tue Apr 05, 2011 2:21 pm

bearsfan1 wrote:
Fabs5180 wrote:
introversional wrote:
Fabs5180 wrote:I haven't heard back from all the schools yet, but it is looking like I will have to pay a seat deposit soon. I have been waitlisted at a bunch of schools and accepted at 2:

Loyola Chicago (10,000k/year scholarship) - Deposit Due 4/15

U San Diego (sticker) - Deposit Due 4/30

I am looking to get involved in sports law so I have applied mostly to schools where I will have opportunities to intern with sports teams/agencies during law school. Any advice or information you guys have would be appreciated.


Doesn't Marquette have a well known sports law program??? Anyways, Chicago is a terrific sports town, but San Diego is probably more accessible w/regards to interning, etc.

Btw, San Diego = beautiful mediterranean-like climate year round

Chicago = 7 month winters


Marquette does have a sports law program but I didn't end up applying there because they're ranked at the lower end of the top 100. Tulane does as well and is a first tier school. I am still waiting on a decision from them.

I'm from Buffalo, NY so I've dealt with terrible winters my whole life. This is a big reason why I'm leaning towards San Diego.


Where do you want to work after you graduate? It might be tough to get a job in San Diego after graduation since you're from the opposite side of the country.


I really do not care where I end up working. I don't see myself in Buffalo just because there are so few job opportunities there.

jesss
Posts: 49
Joined: Mon Nov 01, 2010 1:14 pm

Re: Loyola Chicago Vs U San Diego

Postby jesss » Tue Apr 05, 2011 2:23 pm

i absolutely love san diego and usd does have a good rep in sd but are you really willing to pay sticker for it? that's a lot of debt and they are not really known for sports law. if money is not a consideration though then go for it.

User avatar
Justathought
Posts: 977
Joined: Sun Nov 21, 2010 11:16 pm

Re: Loyola Chicago Vs U San Diego

Postby Justathought » Tue Apr 05, 2011 2:29 pm

jcunni5 wrote:USD--- it's a better school and more dominant in its market- admittedly at sticker it's a tough sell but even w/ 30k i think LUC is the worse option


I worry about this assessment. My decision letter is incoming from USD, and I'll likely consider the school if there is any merit aid attached to an offer. I've heard California is, as a whole, the worst legal market in the country. Cost of living is also high, salaries are lower from USD, and you're essentially limited to one city - albeit a great one. I don't think USD stands too much of a chance north of Orange County, considering the massive glut of schools.

That said, Loyola isn't a great choice, but I would feel more secure with less debt in a massive market, despite the added competition. Again, San Diego is a pretty small market, and your chances at securing work greatly diminish once you head north. Then it becomes like Chicago, only with less jobs and equally impressive competition.

Please feel free to correct me if you disagree; I love the idea of USD, but if I get in, I'm not sure I would feel to confident about my prospects, and it would likely take a good scholarship to make me feel like I wasn't taking a substantial risk with my money.

bearsfan1
Posts: 104
Joined: Wed Feb 09, 2011 5:49 pm

Re: Loyola Chicago Vs U San Diego

Postby bearsfan1 » Tue Apr 05, 2011 2:36 pm

Justathought wrote:
jcunni5 wrote:USD--- it's a better school and more dominant in its market- admittedly at sticker it's a tough sell but even w/ 30k i think LUC is the worse option


I worry about this assessment. My decision letter is incoming from USD, and I'll likely consider the school if there is any merit aid attached to an offer. I've heard California is, as a whole, the worst legal market in the country. Cost of living is also high, salaries are lower from USD, and you're essentially limited to one city - albeit a great one. I don't think USD stands too much of a chance north of Orange County, considering the massive glut of schools.

That said, Loyola isn't a great choice, but I would feel more secure with less debt in a massive market, despite the added competition. Again, San Diego is a pretty small market, and your chances at securing work greatly diminish once you head north. Then it becomes like Chicago, only with less jobs and equally impressive competition.

Please feel free to correct me if you disagree; I love the idea of USD, but if I get in, I'm not sure I would feel to confident about my prospects, and it would likely take a good scholarship to make me feel like I wasn't taking a substantial risk with my money.


I'd agree with you regarding Loyola. There is alot of competition in Chicago though. Chicago and Northwestern are probably the two frontrunners in Chicago, followed by the rest of the t14, UIUC, and WashU. Then Loyola/Depaul/Kent/ and John Marshall come into play. With a good class rank, you can get a good job from Loyola, but the coa vs. future employment prospects must be taken into consideration. Again, I believe having ties to the region greatly benefits a person going to a school such as Loyola. Why should a firm hire a possible flight risk from Loyola when they could hire the next person (even if that person has worse grades) who is from Chicago and not as much of a possible flight risk?

User avatar
Justathought
Posts: 977
Joined: Sun Nov 21, 2010 11:16 pm

Re: Loyola Chicago Vs U San Diego

Postby Justathought » Tue Apr 05, 2011 2:40 pm

bearsfan1 wrote:
Justathought wrote:
jcunni5 wrote:USD--- it's a better school and more dominant in its market- admittedly at sticker it's a tough sell but even w/ 30k i think LUC is the worse option


I worry about this assessment. My decision letter is incoming from USD, and I'll likely consider the school if there is any merit aid attached to an offer. I've heard California is, as a whole, the worst legal market in the country. Cost of living is also high, salaries are lower from USD, and you're essentially limited to one city - albeit a great one. I don't think USD stands too much of a chance north of Orange County, considering the massive glut of schools.

That said, Loyola isn't a great choice, but I would feel more secure with less debt in a massive market, despite the added competition. Again, San Diego is a pretty small market, and your chances at securing work greatly diminish once you head north. Then it becomes like Chicago, only with less jobs and equally impressive competition.

Please feel free to correct me if you disagree; I love the idea of USD, but if I get in, I'm not sure I would feel to confident about my prospects, and it would likely take a good scholarship to make me feel like I wasn't taking a substantial risk with my money.


I'd agree with you regarding Loyola. There is alot of competition in Chicago though. Chicago and Northwestern are probably the two frontrunners in Chicago, followed by the rest of the t14, UIUC, and WashU. Then Loyola/Depaul/Kent/ and John Marshall come into play. With a good class rank, you can get a good job from Loyola, but the coa vs. future employment prospects must be taken into consideration. Again, I believe having ties to the region greatly benefits a person going to a school such as Loyola. Why should a firm hire a possible flight risk from Loyola when they could hire the next person (even if that person has worse grades) who is from Chicago and not as much of a possible flight risk?


I haven't taken note of where the OP is from, so if he is a San Diego native, might as well go to USD and hope for the best. One thing I'll say though - the cost of living will likely be lower in Chicago (unless he's living with parents in SD). Chicago is very reasonable when compared to the coasts. San Diego is actually pretty pricey, as is the norm with California as a state.

Edit: Oh he's from NY. So probably no ties to San Diego. So he's a flight risk at either school. While his prospects may be good in San Diego, there very well might not be enough good jobs that allow for paying off that amount of debt. If he heads north, then he deals with USC and UCLA, plus all the other schools. May as well be NW and Chicago in my opinion; UCLA and USC are top regional schools and their graduates have first choice at jobs. Loyola and Pepperdine are also better positioned. Then there's Southwestern, Chapman, and UC-Irvine. Graduates from those schools will take jobs too. Also, any grad from Standford or Berkeley will be in high demand. Finally, add in any graduate from a T20 with strong ties to the region. My cousin just came back to LA from George Washington and got a great job.

chb462
Posts: 12
Joined: Tue Mar 22, 2011 11:52 am

Re: Loyola Chicago Vs U San Diego

Postby chb462 » Tue Apr 05, 2011 3:53 pm

I think you will be fine wherever you go. Its funny how everyone on these forums makes it sound that you are jailed to the city you go to school in.

Last time I checked, most people I know who have gone to "regional schools" have great jobs outside of their prospective area. Everyone going to law school isn't looking for the same job of everyone else. A guy going into sports isn't locked into a city, if so there would be thousands of JD's running around the streets of every city where every school is in.

Fabs5180- you will do great, plus you went to SUNY Geneseo and saved money there. Best of Luck!

bearsfan1
Posts: 104
Joined: Wed Feb 09, 2011 5:49 pm

Re: Loyola Chicago Vs U San Diego

Postby bearsfan1 » Tue Apr 05, 2011 4:39 pm

chb462 wrote:I think you will be fine wherever you go. Its funny how everyone on these forums makes it sound that you are jailed to the city you go to school in.

Last time I checked, most people I know who have gone to "regional schools" have great jobs outside of their prospective area. Everyone going to law school isn't looking for the same job of everyone else. A guy going into sports isn't locked into a city, if so there would be thousands of JD's running around the streets of every city where every school is in.

Fabs5180- you will do great, plus you went to SUNY Geneseo and saved money there. Best of Luck!


I agree with you to an extent. I don't think you are necessarily jailed to the city you go to school in, but there is a good chance that (unless you have ties to a job somewhere else) your first job will be in or very near the city that you go to school in. On top of that, a person from Chicago will have a better shot of landing a job in Chicago than a person from Buffalo. And I also wish you the best of luck.

Fabs5180
Posts: 17
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2011 6:13 pm

Re: Loyola Chicago Vs U San Diego

Postby Fabs5180 » Wed Apr 06, 2011 12:43 am

jesss wrote:i absolutely love san diego and usd does have a good rep in sd but are you really willing to pay sticker for it? that's a lot of debt and they are not really known for sports law. if money is not a consideration though then go for it.


Other than Tulane and Marquette, there aren't really schools known for sports law. That is why I have been trying to apply to schools in bigger markets. San Diego is a decently sized market and LA isn't far from there.

I'm from the other side of the country so I don't know, but is it really close to impossible to take a degree from USD and get a job in LA?




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Exabot [Bot] and 2 guests