Northwestern ($0) vs. UCLA ($39K) vs. Vanderbilt ($60K)

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
huckster

Northwestern ($0) vs. UCLA ($39K) vs. Vanderbilt ($60K)

Postby huckster » Mon Apr 04, 2011 2:50 pm

I could definitely use some help here. I am almost certain I want to end up in CA doing transactional work for a large firm. On the other hand, I would also like to minimize debt. Here is my big question: does Northwestern place significantly better in CA than UCLA (enough to justify paying sticker at NU)? Here are my other thoughts:

Vanderbilt:
pros: best deal, good atmosphere/quality of life, low COL
cons: least helpful in getting me back to CA
UCLA:
pros: many CA recruiters at OCI, connections in CA, some $
cons: competing with classmates for the same jobs, high COL
NU
pros: the emphasis on transactional work, good placement
cons: no money, uncertainty about placement in CA in comparison to UCLA

JayWilTheBoat

Re: Northwestern ($0) vs. UCLA ($39K) vs. Vanderbilt ($60K)

Postby JayWilTheBoat » Mon Apr 04, 2011 3:03 pm

You'll be able to get back to cali with a degree from vandy. maybe you won't get the 160k job right out of the gate like you would had you gone to ucla, but you won't spend as much, either. Unless of course you can live at home at ucla or anything like that… There's definitely value in going to school where you want to live. Especially if you already have connections there.

I would go with whichever school is going to leave you with the smallest debt after graduating, with a slight advantage being given to UCLA because it's in the market you wish to work in. Unless you save significant coin by going to Vandy, UCLA is your best choice. I'm sure you won't have a problem getting a job in Cali out of NU, but you're debt will be a bit higher. And it isn't going to give you a significant advantage, either, unless you think you might considering going to NY or Chicago.

Good luck

huckster

Postby huckster » Mon Apr 04, 2011 7:15 pm

JayWilTheBoat wrote:You'll be able to get back to cali with a degree from vandy. maybe you won't get the 160k job right out of the gate like you would had you gone to ucla, but you won't spend as much, either. Unless of course you can live at home at ucla or anything like that… There's definitely value in going to school where you want to live. Especially if you already have connections there.

I would go with whichever school is going to leave you with the smallest debt after graduating, with a slight advantage being given to UCLA because it's in the market you wish to work in. Unless you save significant coin by going to Vandy, UCLA is your best choice. I'm sure you won't have a problem getting a job in Cali out of NU, but you're debt will be a bit higher. And it isn't going to give you a significant advantage, either, unless you think you might considering going to NY or Chicago.

Good luck

From what I've seen, the consensus seems to be that NU will not afford me a significant advantage over UCLA in the CA market. Thanks for the feedback.

huckster

Postby huckster » Wed Apr 06, 2011 9:48 pm

I talked to a partner at a big firm in SF today and he said that NU does offer a slight advantage over UCLA in securing employment at his firm, but if I miss the big-law boat, UCLA would offer many more options to connect with small and mid-size firms at OCI.

FiveSermon

Postby FiveSermon » Wed Apr 06, 2011 10:17 pm

UCLA since you want CA.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Wed Apr 06, 2011 10:59 pm

UCLA.

huckster

Postby huckster » Fri Apr 08, 2011 8:48 pm

Thanks for the feedback - UCLA seems to be the right choice.

handlesthetruth

Postby handlesthetruth » Fri Apr 08, 2011 8:54 pm

Go to ucla fool

Return to “Choosing a Law School”