Carmen Sandiego - where in the world do I go?! Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

If I was Carmen SanDiego - Where in the World Should I Go?

Chicago-Kent - $20k/yr (Tuition 40k)
13%
Cincinnati - $7.5k/yr (Tuition 21k)
17%
Houston - $0 (Tuition 1st yr 37k, then 27k)
17%
Penn State - 15k/yr (Tuition 37k)
8%
UConn - $0 (yet - just accepted) (1st yr 44k, then 21.5k)
6%
St. Louis - $19k/yr (Tuition 35k)
15%
U of Missouri - $9k/yr (Tuition 17k)
25%

Total votes: 48

bk1

Diamond

Re: Carmen Sandiego - where in the world do I go?!

Post by bk1 » Wed Apr 06, 2011 1:06 pm

Splintor49 wrote:An AmLaw 50 attorney that is a friend of a friend's sent me this e-mail in regards to my questions:

"I've reviewed the schools you are considering as of a week ago and would be happy to discuss. I have a few perspectives that might be useful (briefly, if you are aspiring to an AmLaw 50 career track or a top 20 law school teaching position, then attending the very best, most highly ranked school is a good investment and will improve ultimate career choices; if you know where you'd like to practice, then the local networks of the schools will matter and part-time positions, internships, etc. are quite valuable). If I were doing this all over again, I'd want to know % of graduates placed by graduation, the top 20-25 law firms hiring graduates, the list of firms which interviewed on campus last year, and try to get some personal take from a recent graduate or two as to their view of the value of their particular degree. Frankly modest dollar differences in out-of-pocket costs thru graduation tell me less than what is the practical value of the credential in terms of getting the career opportunity you aspire to.

We very consciously try to limit hiring to the group we broadly view as top 25 schools, except for students in the top 10% of schools in our particular cities. It is no longer true that the most selective law firms hire only from a handful of top schools, but the competitiveness of the school still matters -- a lot -- and ultimate academic success will be the deciding factor."

Thoughts???
That's pretty much it. At top schools they will hire deeply (up to half of the class at the T14) and they will take roughly the top 5% or so of the shitty schools in the area. Since you are considering the aforementioned shitty schools, you have a 5% or so chance of getting hired by a biglaw firm (one that will pay a 6 figure salary and make taking out over $100k in debt worth it). Since these schools only have a 5% shot at that, you should pick the cheapest one since your starting salary will most likely be in the 30-60k range.

Splintor49

New

Post by Splintor49 » Wed Apr 06, 2011 1:22 pm

"That's pretty much it. At top schools they will hire deeply (up to half of the class at the T14) and they will take roughly the top 5% or so of the shitty schools in the area. Since you are considering the aforementioned shitty schools, you have a 5% or so chance of getting hired by a biglaw firm (one that will pay a 6 figure salary and make taking out over $100k in debt worth it). Since these schools only have a 5% shot at that, you should pick the cheapest one since your starting salary will most likely be in the 30-60k range."

Dude - I get where you are coming from. And I have truly appreciated your input. It has been helpful, so thank you. But please do not refer to my school choices as "shitty". At no point did I say I was expecting 6 figures. I am not stupid. I don't know your scores or your school. Great if you had a 180 and a 4.0 and you are choosing Harvard. But for some of us, who actually like these options, and are genuinely trying to choose one for our future - try and have a little more decorum and respect. Seriously. I really have appreciated your feedback, but that... seriously, dude.

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Wed Apr 06, 2011 1:26 pm

Splintor49 wrote:Dude - I get where you are coming from. And I have truly appreciated your input. It has been helpful, so thank you. But please do not refer to my school choices as "shitty". At no point did I say I was expecting 6 figures. I am not stupid. I don't know your scores or your school. Great if you had a 180 and a 4.0 and you are choosing Harvard. But for some of us, who actually like these options, and are genuinely trying to choose one for our future - try and have a little more decorum and respect. Seriously. I really have appreciated your feedback, but that... seriously, dude.
Their employment prospects are bad and don't justify more than 50-100k debt at best. That fine enough for you? This sort of thinking applies to almost every law school in the country and even the T25 school I will probably be attending.

I'm trying to drive home the point of pick where you want to be or pick whatever is cheapest. All these options are radically different in cost and where they place that I don't understand what is so difficult about picking one of these schools. At all of them you will be hustling your ass off for a job.
Last edited by bk1 on Wed Apr 06, 2011 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AP-375

Bronze

Post by AP-375 » Wed Apr 06, 2011 1:26 pm

I'll vote Houston. Best law school in a gigantic city, so maybe your best job prospects there, plus cheap cost of living. I'm sure you could go to UH, work your hardest, and have a great career there.

Splintor49

New

Post by Splintor49 » Wed Apr 06, 2011 3:27 pm

AP-375 wrote:I'll vote Houston. Best law school in a gigantic city, so maybe your best job prospects there, plus cheap cost of living. I'm sure you could go to UH, work your hardest, and have a great career there.
I really like Chicago - but I do fear their market is over-saturated. It isn't that I don't like Missouri, but I do fear job prospects even in St. Louis and Kansas City because they aren't HUGE legal markets. Penn State does have a national name recognition, but being in the middle of no where, I'm not sure how well it can compete with Temple and Villanova and Pitt - statistics are disheartening.

I just wish Houston would give me some money!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Aberzombie1892

Gold

Post by Aberzombie1892 » Wed Apr 06, 2011 3:34 pm

I haven't read all of the comments, but I would make the following your only options:

1. U of Houston
2. U of Conn
3. U of Missouri
4. SLU

I would go with U of Houston as long as the total debt is under six figures. Even then, you should expect to make between $40,000-$50,000 from the school.

Splintor49

New

Post by Splintor49 » Wed Apr 06, 2011 8:39 pm

Aberzombie1892 wrote:I haven't read all of the comments, but I would make the following your only options:

1. U of Houston
2. U of Conn
3. U of Missouri
4. SLU

I would go with U of Houston as long as the total debt is under six figures. Even then, you should expect to make between $40,000-$50,000 from the school.
Thank you for your thoughts - Why Houston? Any reason why U Conn over Kent? Just curious to the logic...

Splintor49

New

Post by Splintor49 » Thu Apr 07, 2011 12:31 pm

Has anyone had any luck negotiating scholarships from any of these schools?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”