Cycle didn’t go as planned…

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Which Option is Best

Wisconsin
3%
UIUC (15k/yr)
12%
GW
21%
Work, retake, reapply
64%

Total votes: 67

Jen Loblaw

Re: Cycle didn’t go as planned…

Postby Jen Loblaw » Thu Apr 21, 2011 5:20 pm

bfaiken wrote:Well that presumably means they would help you out at T14 as well, correct? Personally, I really think it's worth it to take a year, re-take, and go all out. I was in a similar situation to you a few years ago. I'd taken the LSAT undergrad and not done as well as I hoped. I was getting ready to apply to some schools in the 20-40 range, but my father (Partner at a law firm) convinced me to put some time in to pulling up my score. I took his advice, and I'm really happy I did.

The schools you are looking at are fine, solid law schools. But you are passing up an enormous opportunity if you settle for them. And again, I think you can do better than you've done even with your current numbers. Pull your LSAT up and apply early October. It's only a slight inconvenience now that will pay huge dividends down the road.

Don't people normally want T14 so that they can get a biglaw job and make money so they can pay off their debt? If I won't have any debt to pay off, is it necessary that I go to a T14? I'm not sure I could stand the atmosphere it sounds like is at those schools

firemed

Postby firemed » Thu Apr 21, 2011 5:24 pm

Jen Loblaw wrote:
bfaiken wrote:Well that presumably means they would help you out at T14 as well, correct? Personally, I really think it's worth it to take a year, re-take, and go all out. I was in a similar situation to you a few years ago. I'd taken the LSAT undergrad and not done as well as I hoped. I was getting ready to apply to some schools in the 20-40 range, but my father (Partner at a law firm) convinced me to put some time in to pulling up my score. I took his advice, and I'm really happy I did.

The schools you are looking at are fine, solid law schools. But you are passing up an enormous opportunity if you settle for them. And again, I think you can do better than you've done even with your current numbers. Pull your LSAT up and apply early October. It's only a slight inconvenience now that will pay huge dividends down the road.

Don't people normally want T14 so that they can get a biglaw job and make money so they can pay off their debt? If I won't have any debt to pay off, is it necessary that I go to a T14? I'm not sure I could stand the atmosphere it sounds like is at those schools

Um.... first off with a good LSAT you would probably get a scholly.

Second off the atmosphere at those schools (from talking to the students there) is in no way substantially different from any law schools. Frankly, as far as I can tell law school pretty much sucks. For every law student ever, anywhere.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Thu Apr 21, 2011 5:24 pm

Jen Loblaw wrote:Don't people normally want T14 so that they can get a biglaw job and make money so they can pay off their debt? If I won't have any debt to pay off, is it necessary that I go to a T14? I'm not sure I could stand the atmosphere it sounds like is at those schools

How is the atmosphere different? Just because at one everyone scored 2-3 points higher on the LSAT they all act differently? Everyone at every law school tends to want a biglaw job (hyperbolic but you get my point). At T14's it is (or at least it used to be) the path of least resistance. I would bet you that especially at GW people are still massively gunning for biglaw.

The schools above GW have materially better job prospects than GW across the board. It is worth the chance to get into them.

splitmuch

Postby splitmuch » Thu Apr 21, 2011 5:29 pm

Jen Loblaw wrote:

You have this backwards.

If you have no debt to pay off its all the more reason to go to a T 14. If someone says theyll buy you any car you want, doesn't it make a lot more sense to get a ferrari instead of a camry?

T14 opens lots of jobs that won't be available otherwise (or incredibly difficult) and increases your future earnings (in all liklihood). The downside to T14s is it usually requires more debt than you would otherwise have. But you don't have to worry about that.

enron123

Postby enron123 » Thu Apr 21, 2011 5:37 pm

Wish I had rich relatives, I guess they are going to cover your cost of living as well?

jarofsoup

Postby jarofsoup » Thu Apr 21, 2011 5:49 pm

splitmuch wrote:
Jen Loblaw wrote:

You have this backwards.

If you have no debt to pay off its all the more reason to go to a T 14. If someone says theyll buy you any car you want, doesn't it make a lot more sense to get a ferrari instead of a camry?

T14 opens lots of jobs that won't be available otherwise (or incredibly difficult) and increases your future earnings (in all liklihood). The downside to T14s is it usually requires more debt than you would otherwise have. But you don't have to worry about that.

GWU is a school that has some prestige. I think if OP is looking at no debt then why the hell not go and stop wasting time?

bk1

Postby bk1 » Thu Apr 21, 2011 5:51 pm

jarofsoup wrote:GWU is a school that has some prestige. I think if OP is looking at no debt then why the hell not go and stop wasting time?

OP is a 3.94/166 with some work exp. It would only take a couple points to open up the T14. Would you rather be GW class of 2014 or [INSERTT14HERE] class of 2015?

skw

Postby skw » Thu Apr 21, 2011 6:07 pm

I'm coming at this from a slightly different perspective. I've already had one successful career (12 years in biotech sales) and I'll be entering law school at Carolina in the Fall (and like you, I won't have to consider debt as an issue in my particular case). I suggest that you take at least a year or two off to work, but for a different reason than, 'you can raise your LSAT and get into a premium school'. You may find that during your year or two of REAL world work experience, you change your mind about law school. If not, you (as has been noted) can likely raise your LSAT and get into a better school than GW (though there's nothing wrong with GW -- it's a good school).

Once you are IN school, you'll be competing for jobs/internships every summer and post-grad. Take it from someone who has held a job: it will matter if you have substantive work experience, regardless of whether that experience is law related when it comes time to compete for positions during and after law school. Of course your grades will matter, but think about it... If you're competing against someone with essentially the same grades you have and that someone has gone straight through from undergrad to law school and has never supported himself with a job, who do you think is going to get hired? You got it -- the candidate who has actually WORKED in some capacity (working during under-grad is simply not the same thing as working and supporting yourself while not in school). Working also gives you an opportunity to establish a network that may help you get internships and/or your first job post law school.

If you're gung-ho to enter school right away, GW is a fine option, especially since you're not concerned about debt. Ultimately, this is a highly personal decision and only you can make the 'right' decision for your situation. The world will keep on spinning, whatever you decide.

Best of luck :)

Slimpee

Postby Slimpee » Thu Apr 21, 2011 6:16 pm

Not that this is much of an option but i figure i'd throw it out there:

Iowa is doing some cool things w/ IP. Prof. Hovenkamp, the preeminent antitrust prof in the country, teaches Intro to IP (although I think there is someone new coming in next year) and there are several other offerings.

The exciting things are IP advocacy competitions and a program in which engineering students, med students, business students, and law students collaborate on a project from conception through prosecution (the application review stage). While at this point the royalty and licensing rights go to the school, it's a fantastic opportunity to get real-world experience.

I don't know what other school offer but it's really interesting...

Return to “Choosing a Law School”