Harvard retake/reapply worth it?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
ElvisAaron

Harvard retake/reapply worth it?

Postby ElvisAaron » Mon Apr 04, 2011 12:08 pm

Heres the deal-
I have a 4.0/171, enviable LORs and very substantial, quality WE. Its looking like I'm headed for ding/WL at Harvard, so I committed to UConn, my fallback.
Wife springs it on me last night that she thinks I should retake in June (my PT avg was much higher than the 171, with a couple of 180s and I've been tutoring since) and if I get 175+, withdraw everywhere and try again for Harvard next year.
Do auto-admit numbers really exist? If I'm a WL/Ding at 171/4.0 am I no different at 175+/4.0?
I don't want to waste my time with more LSAT stress/study and then also be another year behind if it doesn't work, I'm getting old...
Credited opinions requested.

2things2

Re: Harvard retake/reapply worth it?

Postby 2things2 » Mon Apr 04, 2011 12:12 pm

Take the June LSAT -- if you do well, you pull your deposit from UConn and reapply next year. If you don't, you should still consider reapplying because you can still get into T-14 with significant dough if you apply early in the cycle.

Na_Swatch

Postby Na_Swatch » Mon Apr 04, 2011 12:16 pm

Its probably worth it if you're average is over 175. The difference in admissions with a 4.0/171 and a 4.0/175/171 is something around say 30~40% chance and 65~80%.

Also, given those numbers, why is your backup UCONN? Anyways I think you should retake. You could definitely get a substantial scholarship to T14 schools even if you don't get HLS next cycle

DoubleChecks

Postby DoubleChecks » Mon Apr 04, 2011 12:16 pm

A 4/171 and 4/175 are different for sure, considering the latter would pull up medians while the former would drag them down. Would it make you "auto lock"? iunno about that, but you'd have great odds, like 80% at least imo.

That being said, HLS to UConn is quite a drop...there are a lot of other schools in between lol, even ones significantly better that would give you $ in the T14 (without even considering the retake).

edit: pretty much exactly what Na Swatch said lol

ElvisAaron

Postby ElvisAaron » Mon Apr 04, 2011 12:18 pm

I have to stay in MA or CT for family reasons. Moving is not an option. Believe me I'd have loved to go to quite a few of the T14, but I just can't pick up and go, it'd be very irresponsible.

Cavalier

Postby Cavalier » Mon Apr 04, 2011 12:21 pm

I looked at your LSN profile... what in the world requires you to stay that local? You obviously have the potential to get into Harvard; it would be an absolute shame to waste those numbers on a $10,000 scholarship at UConn. NYC isn't that far away, you should consider targeting Columbia and NYU as well if at all possible. Retake the LSAT and see what happens--a 175+ would make you a stronger candidate for Harvard and Yale.

rayiner

Postby rayiner » Mon Apr 04, 2011 12:22 pm

You'd probably get full ride to BU/BC as well.

In your case I think retake/reapply is definitely worth it.

snapdragon

Postby snapdragon » Mon Apr 04, 2011 12:27 pm

Srsly? Ditching me? :P

Retake in June. It's not going to hurt anything. You're tutoring anyway, you're in good prep shape, it's not really going to hurt that much. If you do well, pull your deposit from UConn and suck up to BC/BU so you get $$$ if Harvard doesn't pan out and be really sad that you're not going to school with me.

Would a good financial package from BC/BU full time be > UConn pt for you?

Cavalier

Postby Cavalier » Mon Apr 04, 2011 12:31 pm

rayiner wrote:You'd probably get full ride to BU/BC as well.

I didn't even think about that. That would be much better than $10k at UConn as well.

rundoxierun

Postby rundoxierun » Mon Apr 04, 2011 12:36 pm

Wait.. is 10k full in-state tuition at UCONN? If not, combined with the other results(no full schollys) this is a really underwhelming cycle for those numbers

Postby 20121109 » Mon Apr 04, 2011 12:37 pm

At the very least, renegotiate with UConn to get a full scholarship and stipend. I mean, they probably only gave you 10k because they thought you would go to another school, regardless of the money they threw at you. You should definitely get better offers however, so this should be a moot point but yeah, 10K at UConn is NOT something you should really even consider.

Good luck!

ETA: Basically what tkgrett hinted at. Unless its a full scholly don't even bother

bk1

Postby bk1 » Mon Apr 04, 2011 12:44 pm

rayiner wrote:You'd probably get full ride to BU/BC as well.

In your case I think retake/reapply is definitely worth it.

+1

Moxie

Postby Moxie » Mon Apr 04, 2011 12:49 pm

Definitely retake/reapply. You should get serious money from BU (I don't think BC gives full-rides, but you should get better money from them than you did from UConn this cycle).

At the least, you'd get more money at BU/BC, at the best, you're in at Harvard. With your numbers, no way should you go to UConn with less than a full ride.

ElvisAaron

Postby ElvisAaron » Mon Apr 04, 2011 12:52 pm

UConn did up the ante and my first year would be free, after that its in-state. Uconn does not have renewable schollys. My total debt would be around $50k.
My cycle sucks but I expected it because I applied PT everywhere and I applied to mainly crap schools and then top 2- nothing in between. I don't want to give up my job and quality of life for a non-top school. Quinnipiac and Suffolk both called me and asked me to switch to FT and offered full rides if I would do so, I refused.
I would not go FT to anywhere but T10, so no, BU/BC schollys mean dick to me.
When I set out on this I narrowed my options to two choices based on my current financial, family and living circumstances-
1. Regional LS regardless of rank, go PT to keep current cashflow, work for a small local firm (job offer in hand) or maybe a midlaw firm when I'm done, make less $$ but be close to home.
2. H/Y, go FT, be poor, give up the life I've built but for big potential rewards later.

Option #2 appears to be down the shitter. but at my wife's prompting I'm wondering if its possible or even worth the try to resurrect it. I'm now thinking I'll retake June and just let it sort itself out, if I do poorly then its moot anyway.

DoubleChecks

Postby DoubleChecks » Mon Apr 04, 2011 12:54 pm

ElvisAaron wrote:UConn did up the ante and my first year would be free, after that its in-state. Uconn does not have renewable schollys. My total debt would be around $50k.
My cycle sucks but I expected it because I applied PT everywhere and I applied to mainly crap schools and then top 2- nothing in between. I don't want to give up my job and quality of life for a non-top school. Quinnipiac and Suffolk both called me and asked me to switch to FT and offered full rides if I would do so, I refused.
When I set out on this I narrowed my options to two choices based on my current financial, family and living circumstances-
1. Regional LS regardless of rank, go PT to keep current cashflow, work for a small local firm (job offer in hand) or maybe a midlaw firm when I'm done, make less $$ but be close to home.
2. H/Y, go FT, be poor, give up the life I've built but for big potential rewards later.

Option #2 appears to be down the shitter. but at my wife's prompting I'm wondering if its possible or even worth the try to resurrect it. I'm now thinking I'll retake July and just let it sort itself out, if I do poorly then its moot anyway.

Wait, option 2 sounds like an implosion of your current life anyways...so why not expand the scope of option 2 to include schools like SLS or CLS? I would not say they are substantially different than HY, esp. since you dont seem to be focused on academia anyways (referring just to CLS here).

ElvisAaron

Postby ElvisAaron » Mon Apr 04, 2011 5:26 pm

DoubleChecks wrote:
ElvisAaron wrote:UConn did up the ante and my first year would be free, after that its in-state. Uconn does not have renewable schollys. My total debt would be around $50k.

Option #2 appears to be down the shitter. but at my wife's prompting I'm wondering if its possible or even worth the try to resurrect it. I'm now thinking I'll retake June and just let it sort itself out, if I do poorly then its moot anyway.

Wait, option 2 sounds like an implosion of your current life anyways...so why not expand the scope of option 2 to include schools like SLS or CLS? I would not say they are substantially different than HY, esp. since you dont seem to be focused on academia anyways (referring just to CLS here).

Option 2 is still restricted logistically. I wouldn't have to sell my house, I'd just be completely broke when I finish school from living off savings for 3 years. In hindsight, I should have at least tried CLS just to have the option, its not too insanely far. Pain in the ass.

Attorney

Postby Attorney » Mon Apr 04, 2011 5:57 pm

The two credited responses are substantial $$ at BC/BU or retake and enjoy Harvard/Yale.

If you go to UConn with a 4.0 and 17X, you lose any chance you ever had at having tiger blood course through your veins.

ElvisAaron

Postby ElvisAaron » Mon Apr 04, 2011 6:41 pm

Attorney wrote:
If you go to UConn with a 4.0 and 17X, you lose any chance you ever had at having tiger blood course through your veins.

Lol wow. I cannot think of a more perfect description of the fear in my gut. Well done, sir.

FiveSermon

Postby FiveSermon » Mon Apr 04, 2011 6:43 pm

How do you go from Harvard to UCONN?

Attorney

Postby Attorney » Mon Apr 04, 2011 7:13 pm

ElvisAaron wrote:
Attorney wrote:

Lol wow. I cannot think of a more perfect description of the fear in my gut. Well done, sir.

Follow your gut! Glad I could help. :lol:

Return to “Choosing a Law School”