OREGON v. GONZAGA ($) v. NEITHER Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
plugkev

New

OREGON v. GONZAGA ($) v. NEITHER

Post by plugkev » Mon Apr 04, 2011 10:59 am

Options:

1. Full price in-state tuition at Oregon with possibility of free room

2. Half tuition at Gonzaga

3. Try again next year retake LSAT

4. Give up and keep working current job which is ok but not great

snapdragon

Silver

Re: OREGON v. GONZAGA ($) v. NEITHER

Post by snapdragon » Mon Apr 04, 2011 11:27 am

I'd say 3. or 4. What is your LSAT and how long did you spend prepping? If it's under 160, I'd definitely vote prep more and retake.

plugkev

New

Post by plugkev » Mon Apr 04, 2011 12:03 pm

158 and got crushed on one section. All practice tests above 160. I am only afraid that it would hurt me to apply at the same schools again after being accepted this year.

Plus, things seem to be getting more competitive in the admissions department.

akili

Gold

Post by akili » Mon Apr 04, 2011 12:06 pm

plugkev wrote:158 and got crushed on one section. All practice tests above 160. I am only afraid that it would hurt me to apply at the same schools again after being accepted this year.

Plus, things seem to be getting more competitive in the admissions department.
It won't hurt you. If you were scoring higher on PTs you should definitely retake and aim for UW if you want the PacNW.

snapdragon

Silver

Post by snapdragon » Mon Apr 04, 2011 12:22 pm

I would definitely recommend a retake. Although getting UW at all will be a challenge - as akili can attest, they are EXTREMELY mercurial. But a scholarship at U Oregon or L&C could come into play depending on how you do. Even if you can bump your score to a 163ish, you'll be in better shape. You don't have a lot to lose - I am not a big fan of Gonzaga, and you will probably only get a better offer from U Oregon.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

akili

Gold

Post by akili » Mon Apr 04, 2011 12:24 pm

snapdragon wrote:I would definitely recommend a retake. Although getting UW at all will be a challenge - as akili can attest, they are EXTREMELY mercurial. But a scholarship at U Oregon or L&C could come into play depending on how you do. Even if you can bump your score to a 163ish, you'll be in better shape. You don't have a lot to lose - I am not a big fan of Gonzaga, and you will probably only get a better offer from U Oregon.
Plus I went to UG in Spokane and it's not awful....but it's not that great either. I would avoid it if at all possible. Eugene seemed pretty cool.

UW is tough to get in to (but def worth a try).

It sucks to take a year off, but I did and jumped my score up 9 points. It made a huge difference and not one school cared that I had applied the year before.

plugkev

New

Post by plugkev » Mon Apr 04, 2011 12:31 pm

Good to know you added 9 points. It would be well worth it if I could get to 167.

A lot of people with much better numbers than me got rejected at U of O this year. That scares me a little when I am already in this year.

GU would only be an option bc it is a bit less expensive with the scholarship.

Probably go to UO or retake in June.

Thanks.

masochist

Bronze

Post by masochist » Mon Apr 04, 2011 1:28 pm

My .02 …

The only option I’d definitely take off the table is Gonzaga. There really isn’t much of an upside to GU unless you want to end up east of the Cascades, and most people don’t. Even if you were looking to end up in Spokane or Yakima I would think that U of O, Washington, and L and C would place just as well (if not better) than GU. A half-tuition scholarship that is guaranteed for three years would only result in a net benefit of about 6K/year relative to Oregon, and I think difference in the relative value of the two degrees favors Oregon by more than 18K.

I might just go to Oregon this year provided that you knew that you would mind having employment options that were concentrated in Portland. I’ve been told that Oregon is not very generous with scholarships, so I don’t know that you could count on a better financial aid package even if you were able to increase your LSAT score.

Retaking to try to get into Washington or L and C with money might be a waste of a year. Washington appears to make acceptance and scholarship decisions basically at random, and L and C is not a lot more generous than Oregon with scholarships (with a 170/3.7 they only gave me 22K/year). Washington opens up a lot more opportunities in the Seattle area and west coast in general, but I don’t know how important that might be for you.

plugkev

New

Post by plugkev » Mon Apr 04, 2011 1:42 pm

I would definitely be looking to stay in the Willamette Valley. I am not interested in living in Seattle.

I would love to go to LC but did not have the numbers to get in this year. Based on my 3.3 I don't think I can expect a great scholarship there no matter how much my LSAT improved.

If I retake the LSAT I will be looking to get a better offer from UO or maybe get entrance to LC.

thanks for your input, it is definitely helpful.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

akili

Gold

Post by akili » Mon Apr 04, 2011 1:44 pm

plugkev wrote:I would definitely be looking to stay in the Willamette Valley. I am not interested in living in Seattle.

I would love to go to LC but did not have the numbers to get in this year. Based on my 3.3 I don't think I can expect a great scholarship there no matter how much my LSAT improved.

If I retake the LSAT I will be looking to get a better offer from UO or maybe get entrance to LC.

thanks for your input, it is definitely helpful.
You know, it might not be too bad of an idea to put a deposit down at UO and retake in June. You might be able to negotiate for more $$ with a higher score.

cinephile

Gold

Post by cinephile » Mon Apr 04, 2011 1:55 pm

akili wrote: You know, it might not be too bad of an idea to put a deposit down at UO and retake in June. You might be able to negotiate for more $$ with a higher score.
Was just about to say this.

buckilaw

Silver

Post by buckilaw » Mon Apr 04, 2011 1:57 pm

Look behind option number 3. What does it have? Profit!

plugkev

New

Post by plugkev » Mon Jun 13, 2011 3:53 pm

UPDATE: Thanks for the advice. Took the LSAT again and feel much better about it.

Put deposit down at UO and called. They said there is still a chance for $$ after they solidify the incoming class toward the end of June. Should have a new LSAT score by then too so hopefully it helps.

If not, I am feeling okay about re-applying.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”