USC or UCLA at equal cost? Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
boalt2l

New

Re: USC or UCLA at equal cost?

Post by boalt2l » Thu Apr 07, 2011 12:15 pm

Do you mean 2010 OCI, because I can tell you at most we had 40% Biglaw for our years OCI, probably more around 35%. I don't know what is so hard to understand this but I'll explain it one last time. The class of 2010 did OCI in 2008. The OCI in 2008 was based on absolute boomtimes projections where Biglaw was at its best ever. If you had a pulse in 2008 you got a Biglaw summer job. Lehman crashed shortly after OCI 2008 and after the summer offers had been made the rest is history. Once again why TLS is basing its law school placement based on NLJ 2010 which come from an OCI where summer offers were based on amazing economic projections is beyond me. The 35-40% is what happened in great economic years, not sure why you don't get that.

Ratchet Jackson

Gold

Post by Ratchet Jackson » Thu Apr 07, 2011 12:23 pm

boalt2l wrote:Do you mean 2010 OCI, because I can tell you at most we had 40% Biglaw for our years OCI, probably more around 35%. I don't know what is so hard to understand this but I'll explain it one last time. The class of 2010 did OCI in 2008. The OCI in 2008 was based on absolute boomtimes projections where Biglaw was at its best ever. If you had a pulse in 2008 you got a Biglaw summer job. Lehman crashed shortly after OCI 2008 and after the summer offers had been made the rest is history. Once again why TLS is basing its law school placement based on NLJ 2010 which come from an OCI where summer offers were based on amazing economic projections is beyond me. The 35-40% is what happened in great economic years, not sure why you don't get that.
I definitely understand what you were trying to say in terms of the years removed from OCI to graduation year but the fact that you claim a roughly 15% placement in biglaw for both UCLA and USC is not based on anything besides anecdotal evidence from your buddies. That's not the case in LA right now under any circumstances.

ku1185

Bronze

Post by ku1185 » Thu Apr 07, 2011 1:55 pm

Just my 2 cents:

It seems like USC would be cheaper and be more convenient for you and your SO. You prefer USC but the only thing holding you back is lack of portability. However, there's a chance that you'd be working in LA for a year or two before you'd have to move back east.

I would say go to USC. It's not impossible to get a job outside of SoCal with a degree from USC (from what I've been told by USC alumns in the east). You'll have to put in more effort to get a job elsewhere, but you may not even have to worry about that if your SO doesn't move before 2015/moves at all.

Ratchet Jackson

Gold

Post by Ratchet Jackson » Thu Apr 07, 2011 1:59 pm

ku1185 wrote:Just my 2 cents:

It seems like USC would be cheaper and be more convenient for you and your SO. You prefer USC but the only thing holding you back is lack of portability. However, there's a chance that you'd be working in LA for a year or two before you'd have to move back east.

I would say go to USC. It's not impossible to get a job outside of SoCal with a degree from USC (from what I've been told by USC alumns in the east). You'll have to put in more effort to get a job elsewhere, but you may not even have to worry about that if your SO doesn't move before 2015/moves at all.
I agree with this. Another important thing to note: the farther removed you are from your graduation year, the easier it will be to find a job in another region. Furture employers will begin to evaluate you based on your body of work at your previous firm. So if you work in LA for a number of years and do extremely well, it will bode well for you in locating a job in another city/state. Also, the USC network is extremely strong nationally. You will have a decent amount of pull outside of Los Angeles.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”