Buffalo vs. John Marshall

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
chb462
Posts: 12
Joined: Tue Mar 22, 2011 11:52 am

Buffalo vs. John Marshall

Postby chb462 » Sun Apr 03, 2011 7:27 pm

Buffalo- 17 K tuition

John Marshall- full ride ( stipulation- 1/3 of class)

Preferably work in NYC, Boston or Chicago (I live in Buffalo). Is John Marshall worth the risk of scholarship stipulation, as well as its weak reputation?

I obviously want the best bang for my buck, yet want to be in a good city for entertainment industry connections/opportunities?

Anything worth while is appreciated.
Thanks

cubswin
Posts: 618
Joined: Mon May 25, 2009 4:40 pm

Re: Buffalo vs. John Marshall

Postby cubswin » Sun Apr 03, 2011 7:33 pm

chb462 wrote:Buffalo- 17 K tuition

John Marshall- full ride ( stipulation- 1/3 of class)

Preferably work in NYC, Boston or Chicago (I live in Buffalo). Is John Marshall worth the risk of scholarship stipulation, as well as its weak reputation?


Resounding no.

chb462 wrote:I obviously want the best bang for my buck, yet want to be in a good city for entertainment industry connections/opportunities?


I don't know much about entertainment law, but shouldn't you be targeting schools in LA. Like, UCLA/USC? I know those probably aren't viable options, given the LSAT score that must have led to considering the schools you've listed. But I thought entertainment law was a pretty small industry that's tough to break into.

chb462
Posts: 12
Joined: Tue Mar 22, 2011 11:52 am

Re: Buffalo vs. John Marshall

Postby chb462 » Mon Apr 04, 2011 12:44 am

Cali schools are not an option. I am waiting from NYC schools and Chicago schools with good IP programs.

I am going to have to put a deposit down on UB, but how should I consider NYC schools ( Cardozo, Brooklyn, Fordham)?
I am assuming very little if no money from those schools, is it still worth it to go to those NYC schools with such a financial burden?

jln82
Posts: 29
Joined: Tue Dec 21, 2010 1:47 pm

Re: Buffalo vs. John Marshall

Postby jln82 » Tue Apr 05, 2011 3:58 pm

chb462 wrote:Cali schools are not an option. I am waiting from NYC schools and Chicago schools with good IP programs.

I am going to have to put a deposit down on UB, but how should I consider NYC schools ( Cardozo, Brooklyn, Fordham)?
I am assuming very little if no money from those schools, is it still worth it to go to those NYC schools with such a financial burden?

For entertainment absolutely. There's no internship opportunities in Buffalo for what you are looking to get into. NYC is where you make all the connects in that industry.

User avatar
masochist
Posts: 247
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2010 3:14 pm

Re: Buffalo vs. John Marshall

Postby masochist » Tue Apr 05, 2011 4:06 pm

JM has a horrid reputation, and they section stack to make sure people are not able to renew their scholarships. The correct answer is never JM.

User avatar
taxnstuff
Posts: 134
Joined: Tue Mar 15, 2011 12:39 am

Re: Buffalo vs. John Marshall

Postby taxnstuff » Tue Apr 05, 2011 4:30 pm

Neither of these would give you a good chance of accomplishing the goals you suggested. Not impossible, but close to it.

chb462
Posts: 12
Joined: Tue Mar 22, 2011 11:52 am

Re: Buffalo vs. John Marshall

Postby chb462 » Tue Apr 05, 2011 6:52 pm

taxnstuff wrote:Neither of these would give you a good chance of accomplishing the goals you suggested. Not impossible, but close to it.


It's people like you that take away from getting any worth from these forums. Unless you have seen my future or anyone else's for that matter, do not make stupid comments with no merit to it.

These forums are for people who are looking for advice, not illegitimate claims that their goals will fail and they have no chance to do what they want.

When you have a thoughtful comment on the situation at hand, then post it.

User avatar
taxnstuff
Posts: 134
Joined: Tue Mar 15, 2011 12:39 am

Re: Buffalo vs. John Marshall

Postby taxnstuff » Tue Apr 05, 2011 8:04 pm

There was plenty of merit to my advice. You would have a lot of trouble entering a big market for an entertainment job graduating from either school, the numbers would be overwhelmingly against you. JM is competing with every other law school in Chicago, and is known to be difficult and you would risk losing the scholarship. Buffalo is a regional school and great if you want to stay in western new york. But if you want to go into entertainment law, you are already facing tons of competition as its a popular field. If you are serious about wanting entertainment law, you should try to up your lsat and get into a school in nyc with a better reputation. For what you stated you wanted to do, you would be bringing a knife to a gun fight with either of those degrees. Like i said, it wouldn't be impossible but would be very hard.

On a side note, if you end up choosing Buffalo Ill probably be seeing you in the fall.

User avatar
mpj_3050
Posts: 372
Joined: Fri Oct 02, 2009 9:59 pm

Re: Buffalo vs. John Marshall

Postby mpj_3050 » Tue Apr 05, 2011 8:09 pm

If you are dead set on your goals you need to retake.

In your shoes I would attend Buffalo; John Marshall shouldn't even be considered.

User avatar
zanda
Posts: 526
Joined: Fri Apr 24, 2009 9:36 am

Re: Buffalo vs. John Marshall

Postby zanda » Tue Apr 05, 2011 9:25 pm

chb462 wrote:
taxnstuff wrote:Neither of these would give you a good chance of accomplishing the goals you suggested. Not impossible, but close to it.


It's people like you that take away from getting any worth from these forums. Unless you have seen my future or anyone else's for that matter, do not make stupid comments with no merit to it.

These forums are for people who are looking for advice, not illegitimate claims that their goals will fail and they have no chance to do what they want.

When you have a thoughtful comment on the situation at hand, then post it.

flame? the advice you got was TLS consensus, and if anything was pretty nice for TLS.

cubswin
Posts: 618
Joined: Mon May 25, 2009 4:40 pm

Re: Buffalo vs. John Marshall

Postby cubswin » Thu Apr 07, 2011 4:27 pm

chb462 wrote:
taxnstuff wrote:Neither of these would give you a good chance of accomplishing the goals you suggested. Not impossible, but close to it.


It's people like you that take away from getting any worth from these forums. Unless you have seen my future or anyone else's for that matter, do not make stupid comments with no merit to it.

These forums are for people who are looking for advice, not illegitimate claims that their goals will fail and they have no chance to do what they want.

When you have a thoughtful comment on the situation at hand, then post it.


--ImageRemoved--




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: 01panm, lonola, Tiago Splitter and 7 guests