For USAO/Politics Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
MaxWeber

New

For USAO/Politics

Post by MaxWeber » Sun Apr 03, 2011 5:15 pm

Last edited by MaxWeber on Thu Jun 30, 2011 4:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BeachandRun23

Bronze

Re: For USAO/Politics

Post by BeachandRun23 » Sun Apr 03, 2011 5:47 pm

MaxWeber wrote:After clerking and doing a stint in BigLaw, I'm interested in being a prosecutor/federal litigator and running for national office one day. Fortunate to have HLS and SLS as options....What do people think? I'm leaning Harvard. I think the size problems (access to profs/courses) are overblown and that H is severely underrated on TLS.
For politics, I think harvard is the place to be. The large school and alumni network will give you plenty of chances to network which is certainly what you need for politics.

tgir

Bronze

Post by tgir » Sun Apr 03, 2011 5:52 pm

MaxWeber wrote:After clerking and doing a stint in BigLaw, I'm interested in being a prosecutor/federal litigator and running for national office one day. Fortunate to have HLS and SLS as options....What do people think? I'm leaning Harvard. I think the size problems (access to profs/courses) are overblown and that H is severely underrated on TLS.
I'm not sure HLS is severely underrated on TLS, but yeah, if you see yourself running for national elected office, the Harvard brand is second to none. But for everything else you mentioned (clerking, biglaw, federal litigator), the differences between the schools are negligible. And as many people will say, for whatever you want to do, including running for elected office, your success will depend more on your personal drive, charisma, etc. than on a slight difference in the lay prestige of your degrees.

pride09

New

Post by pride09 » Sun Apr 03, 2011 6:08 pm

I have roughly similar career goals, and initially would never have believed I'd be considering turning down Harvard for Stanford. But now it looks like that's probably what I'm going to do.

Not everyone in this thread is explicitly interested in politics, but a good discussion of the general merits of the two schools has been happening here: http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 1&t=144668

tgir

Bronze

Post by tgir » Sun Apr 03, 2011 6:13 pm

pride09 wrote:I have roughly similar career goals, and initially would never have believed I'd be considering turning down Harvard for Stanford. But now it looks like that's probably what I'm going to do.

Not everyone in this thread is explicitly interested in politics, but a good discussion of the general merits of the two schools has been happening here: http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 1&t=144668

Hey there, pride09. You might have mentioned this elsewhere, but are you planning to attend SLS's ASW this coming week?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

bdubs

Gold

Post by bdubs » Sun Apr 03, 2011 6:22 pm

I think you are delusional. Granted almost everyone says go to YLS if you get in, but H is not underrated on TLS.

Bildungsroman

Platinum

Post by Bildungsroman » Sun Apr 03, 2011 6:24 pm

MaxWeber wrote:After clerking and doing a stint in BigLaw, I'm interested in being a prosecutor/federal litigator and running for national office one day.
Awful lot of assumptions here.

pride09

New

Post by pride09 » Sun Apr 03, 2011 6:54 pm

Yes, I will be at ASW for Stanford this coming weekend, and Harvard the weekend after that. Can't wait!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”