Brooklyn Law vs St. John's

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
rghneck016

Brooklyn Law vs St. John's

Postby rghneck016 » Sun Apr 03, 2011 4:42 pm

I'm aware that neither of these schools afford me a great opportunity for a high paying job upon graduation, so no need to reiterate that. I have been offered a full ride to both schools. I would be commuting either way, as I live on Long Island (about 20 mins from STJ and 30 from BLS). Just looking for some opinions, as these are my final 2.

Justathought

Re: Brooklyn Law vs St. John's

Postby Justathought » Sun Apr 03, 2011 4:47 pm

I say Brooklyn, but the commute will be a major pain in the neck. That's where you should go though.

To elaborate a bit further: I have a few friends at St. John's, and their stories have been nothing short of nightmarish - in terms of job prospects. Plus St. John's comes with nastier stipulations on the scholarship, right?

tourdeforcex

Postby tourdeforcex » Sun Apr 03, 2011 5:29 pm

brooklyn

gwuorbust

Postby gwuorbust » Sun Apr 03, 2011 8:18 pm

I vote St. John's because I like the name better and your commute is shorter. both have very poor job placement. IMO, however, going to a better school with a partial schly would probably be a better decision. So could retaking the LSAT.

but lacking details, I cannot say as truth.

rghneck016

Postby rghneck016 » Mon Apr 04, 2011 2:30 pm

The scholarship stipulations are actually the exact same, must be in the top 40% to retain the full reward. I got a 172 on the LSAT and I am pretty sure thats the best I'm gonna do so retaking it wasn't an option

BarbellDreams

Postby BarbellDreams » Mon Apr 04, 2011 2:32 pm

With a 172 there have got to be better options for you.

If these are the only two option I would negotiate them fullrides against each other to drop the stips and then go to whichever school is willing to drop the stips. BLS is better than St.Johns but not by much.

patrickd139

Postby patrickd139 » Mon Apr 04, 2011 2:33 pm

rghneck016 wrote:The scholarship stipulations are actually the exact same, must be in the top 40% to retain the full reward. I got a 172 on the LSAT and I am pretty sure thats the best I'm gonna do so retaking it wasn't an option

You suck at trolling.

ETA: reapply early next cycle. Your numbers are going to net you so many more opportunities than what you're presented with now.

flexityflex86

Postby flexityflex86 » Mon Apr 04, 2011 2:36 pm

With a 172, these were your full rides?

I'd say Brooklyn no question. Who gives a crap about the commute? This is your future. The commute is a pain in the butt, but you can take the LIRR and it's reasonably convenient - 2 stops from Atlantic Terminal. This way you could get some work done on the commute. Depending on where in LI you are, it might only take an hour (no way you're commuting from LI in 30 minutes).

Brooklyn Law is significantly more respected than St. John's, though both are not so respected, but Brooklyn is generally seen as a touch below Cardozo.

patrickd139

Postby patrickd139 » Mon Apr 04, 2011 2:40 pm

flexityflex86 wrote:With a 172, these were your full rides?

I'd say Brooklyn no question. Who gives a crap about the commute? This is your future. The commute is a pain in the butt, but you can take the LIRR and it's reasonably convenient - 2 stops from Atlantic Terminal. This way you could get some work done on the commute. Depending on where in LI you are, it might only take an hour (no way you're commuting from LI in 30 minutes).

Brooklyn Law is significantly more respected than St. John's, though both are not so respected, but Brooklyn is generally seen as a touch below Cardozo.

Touting one's future as a reason to go to BLS over St. John's is a laughably bad proposition.

BLS:St. John's (when choosing a law school) :: Hyundai:Kia (when choosing a luxury vehicle)

bigkahuna2020

Postby bigkahuna2020 » Mon Apr 04, 2011 3:15 pm

patrickd139 wrote:

Touting one's future as a reason to go to BLS over St. John's is a laughably bad proposition.

BLS:St. John's (when choosing a law school) :: Hyundai:Kia (when choosing a luxury vehicle)

Someone hasn't driven a Hyundai Genesis.

timertimer61

Postby timertimer61 » Mon Apr 04, 2011 3:30 pm

bigkahuna2020 wrote:
patrickd139 wrote:

or a hyundai equus.

patrickd139

Postby patrickd139 » Mon Apr 04, 2011 4:51 pm

timertimer61 wrote:
bigkahuna2020 wrote:
patrickd139 wrote:Touting one's future as a reason to go to BLS over St. John's is a laughably bad proposition.

or a hyundai equus.

I predict Hyundai will become synonymous with luxury car about the same time BLS becomes a top law school.

ndirish2010

Postby ndirish2010 » Mon Apr 04, 2011 5:27 pm

My question is what is your GPA with a 172 that these are the only places that gave you full rides?

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Mon Apr 04, 2011 7:04 pm

rghneck016 wrote:The scholarship stipulations are actually the exact same, must be in the top 40% to retain the full reward. I got a 172 on the LSAT and I am pretty sure thats the best I'm gonna do so retaking it wasn't an option

You can do better than these

Robespierre

Postby Robespierre » Tue Apr 05, 2011 10:39 am

ndirish2010 wrote:My question is what is your GPA with a 172 that these are the only places that gave you full rides?

He's 3.3/172 according to his profile. I agree that he should have better options. OP, consider trying again early next cycle.

But, to answer the question: Brooklyn. Higher ranking (and the spread is growing); more fun neighborhood and easier access to Manhattan; no rigid Catholic school administration. The commute is a minor factor.

ndirish2010

Postby ndirish2010 » Tue Apr 05, 2011 10:47 am

3.3/172 could get close to a full ride from WUSTL or UIUC...these would be much better options than BLS and SJU. At least you'd have a much better chance of getting a job, though it might not be in New York unless you're at the very top of the class.

timertimer61

Postby timertimer61 » Tue Apr 05, 2011 10:53 am

patrickd139 wrote:
timertimer61 wrote:
bigkahuna2020 wrote:
patrickd139 wrote:Touting one's future as a reason to go to BLS over St. John's is a laughably bad proposition.

or a hyundai equus.

I predict Hyundai will become synonymous with luxury car about the same time BLS becomes a top law school.

Would you have said the same for Lexus 20 years ago when in first came into the US? Bc if so, you would have been wrong.

Justathought

Postby Justathought » Tue Apr 05, 2011 1:12 pm

timertimer61 wrote:Would you have said the same for Lexus 20 years ago when in first came into the US? Bc if so, you would have been wrong.

I don't know man, I'm 30 years old and Hyundai's have been lame since I was knee high. Waiting for them to become an elite car is like waiting for Cardozo to go from "up and coming" to arrived.

rghneck016

Postby rghneck016 » Thu Apr 07, 2011 3:41 pm

My GPA is a 3.3 and I'm an accounting major if that makes any difference. I'm still waiting on U of Alabama, they told me they will notify me with their scholarship offer by April 10th. I applied to my schools at the end of February, so I'm guessing I screwed myself out of some additional money. Fordham hasn't even gotten back to me with any type of decision yet, but as they are notoriously stingy I am not expecting anything from them. Is the consensus that I should reapply next cycle? I plan on getting my CPA so delaying my enrollment a year will allow me to do so. Thanks to everyone who has replied thus far

Justathought

Postby Justathought » Thu Apr 07, 2011 3:48 pm

rghneck016 wrote:My GPA is a 3.3 and I'm an accounting major if that makes any difference. I'm still waiting on U of Alabama, they told me they will notify me with their scholarship offer by April 10th. I applied to my schools at the end of February, so I'm guessing I screwed myself out of some additional money. Fordham hasn't even gotten back to me with any type of decision yet, but as they are notoriously stingy I am not expecting anything from them. Is the consensus that I should reapply next cycle? I plan on getting my CPA so delaying my enrollment a year will allow me to do so. Thanks to everyone who has replied thus far

I think delaying for a year sounds great in your situation. Your LSAT should make you very competitive for an ED to Northwestern or Virgina. Northwestern likes work experience, but perhaps if you have a new job on your resume, thanks to that CPA, and apply super early, you'll get in. Certainly schools like Georgetown, Cornell, and Fordham and will bite. Plus you'll certainly get a big scholarship from WUSTL. Apply early! First day!

zanda

Postby zanda » Thu Apr 07, 2011 4:14 pm

Yes, reapply.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”