Chicago versus Columbia

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Columbia vs Chicago

Columbia
72%
Chicago
28%

Total votes: 53

perspective

Chicago versus Columbia

Postby perspective » Sun Apr 03, 2011 3:12 pm

Which of these two schools is more internationally recognized?

perspective

Re: Chicago versus Columbia

Postby perspective » Sun Apr 03, 2011 4:01 pm

If you vote in the poll, please indicate why you voted in a certain way. For the record, I voted for Columbia because of the stronger undergraduate school.

Saul Goodman

Postby Saul Goodman » Sun Apr 03, 2011 4:09 pm

As someone who spent a year studying internationally, Columbia ITCR. Yet you need to be more specific. Recognized for what? Also, I would take Chicago over Columbia every day twice a day: this coming from someone who lived in NY most of his life and loves the city more than any other - I've even given historical tours. But, I didn't even apply to Columbia.

hiddenfist

Postby hiddenfist » Sun Apr 03, 2011 8:25 pm

Saul Goodman wrote:As someone who spent a year studying internationally, Columbia ITCR. Yet you need to be more specific. Recognized for what? Also, I would take Chicago over Columbia every day twice a day: this coming from someone who lived in NY most of his life and loves the city more than any other - I've even given historical tours. But, I didn't even apply to Columbia.

Why not?

bdubs

Postby bdubs » Sun Apr 03, 2011 8:33 pm

If you're polling economists then Chicago will be better recognized, if it is people in PI type organizations Columbia will probably have more recognition. If you're thinking of the general business community I think it is closer to a toss up, with Columbia probably coming out slightly ahead.

Postby 09042014 » Sun Apr 03, 2011 9:04 pm

Chicago isn't even locally recognized.

"University of Chicago? Oh my brother goes to UIC too!"

Saul Goodman

Postby Saul Goodman » Mon Apr 04, 2011 10:23 am

hiddenfist wrote:
Saul Goodman wrote:As someone who spent a year studying internationally, Columbia ITCR. Yet you need to be more specific. Recognized for what? Also, I would take Chicago over Columbia every day twice a day: this coming from someone who lived in NY most of his life and loves the city more than any other - I've even given historical tours. But, I didn't even apply to Columbia.

Why not?

I didn't think the school had anything unique to offer, personal preference. It seemed to me like Chicago was an academic mecca, Columbia a prestige mecca. I find myself drawn towards the former.

Patriot1208

Postby Patriot1208 » Mon Apr 04, 2011 10:27 am

Desert Fox wrote:Chicago isn't even locally recognized.

"University of Chicago? Oh my brother goes to UIC too!"

This is definitely true to the lay person. If lay people is what you are looking for OP, then Chicago is not the answer.

Saul Goodman

Postby Saul Goodman » Mon Apr 04, 2011 2:38 pm

It's actually funny. I think lay prestige can actually be harmful for a school. Case in point, Georgetown: they use their LP to fill a class with full and part-time students because enough people would gladly pay sticker. Yet LP isn't going to make law school any more enjoyable. That's why, for me, S will always beat H, Chi > Col, Berk > Penn etc. But, if LP is all you care about Columbia ITCR

bhan87

Postby bhan87 » Mon Apr 04, 2011 2:42 pm

I believe Columbia is much more internationally recognized.

Though this is a terrible sample, but from my experiences in Japan, Harvard was always the most recognizable university overall, followed by Columbia (ahead of Princeton and Yale). I think this may have a lot to do with Columbia's early pushes to make themselves an international school.

Non-Chalant1

Postby Non-Chalant1 » Mon Apr 04, 2011 2:50 pm

Saul Goodman wrote:It's actually funny. I think lay prestige can actually be harmful for a school. Case in point, Georgetown: they use their LP to fill a class with full and part-time students because enough people would gladly pay sticker. Yet LP isn't going to make law school any more enjoyable. That's why, for me, S will always beat H, Chi > Col, Berk > Penn etc. But, if LP is all you care about Columbia ITCR

You really didn't say anything at all except that you prefer going to the school that the layperson doesn't consider as prestigious...just because. I really don't even understand the point you were attempting to make. "Hey the layperson thinks Columbia >>> Chi. So go to Chi because less people caught up by prestige will be there and thus they're automatically more enjoyable." That sounds like what you attempting to say, while ignoring that people who care about prestige and the strength of the programs are at every law school.

With that said, to people in the know they are both prestigious..maybe Columbia more so internationally just looking at their international offerings and connections and outreach. I wouldn't let that make your decision unless you're an international student who needs a name brand to get their foot in the door.

bellamy

Postby bellamy » Mon Apr 04, 2011 2:52 pm

bhan87 wrote:I believe Columbia is much more internationally recognized.

Though this is a terrible sample, but from my experiences in Japan, Harvard was always the most recognizable university overall, followed by Columbia (ahead of Princeton and Yale). I think this may have a lot to do with Columbia's early pushes to make themselves an international school.

True story. I friend of mine was traveling in the West Bank and got stopped at an Israeli army roadblock. The person in charge looked suspiciously at him and asked for his passport. Inside the first page he had his International Student ID card. The army captain looked at it and said "You are a student at Columbia? That is a great school!" and let him pass without even looking at the rest of the passport or asking him any other questions. How is that for LP?

bhan87

Postby bhan87 » Mon Apr 04, 2011 3:15 pm

bellamy wrote:
bhan87 wrote:I believe Columbia is much more internationally recognized.

True story. I friend of mine was traveling in the West Bank and got stopped at an Israeli army roadblock. The person in charge looked suspiciously at him and asked for his passport. Inside the first page he had his International Student ID card. The army captain looked at it and said "You are a student at Columbia? That is a great school!" and let him pass without even looking at the rest of the passport or asking him any other questions. How is that for LP?

Note to self, put a Columbia Student ID card when smuggling goods past Israeli roadblocks

Return to “Choosing a Law School”