Which Boston School? Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Which Boston school should I choose?

Boston College (sticker)
80%
Northeastern (10k/yr)
8%
Suffolk (55k/yr)
13%

Total votes: 40

africaforlife

New

Which Boston School?

Post by africaforlife » Sun Apr 03, 2011 12:52 pm

I am from Boston, and, if not working outside the US, probably want to remain in Boston. I have been accepted at BC, Northeastern, and Suffolk. I would be paying full price at BC (but could live with parents in Newton to offset some costs), about 10K a year at Northeastern, and more than a full ride at Suffolk (55K/yr).

Do you guys think a full ride at Suffolk would be smarter than full price at BC? My primary interest is in public interest / international human rights law (been working for the UN in Africa for the past three years), so the whole biglaw thing does not factor heavily into my decision making (though I can't entirely rule it out either). I really think I want to go back into human rights law in Africa and Southeast Asia.

Would really love people's advice and/or thoughts, but please no negativity about the schools or the pricetags involved. I can't stand all the pretentious T5-bound kids on here that like to poke at everyone who is not going to a t14.

Thanks!

gbpackerbacker

Silver

Re: Which Boston School?

Post by gbpackerbacker » Sun Apr 03, 2011 12:56 pm

I chose Suffolk, assuming no scholarship stipulation. But then again, I know nothing about it (and TLS doesn't even have a profile on it). If not Suffolk, then I would choose BC. Northeastern does not seem to be worth that small of a scholarship.

NOLA Proud

New

Post by NOLA Proud » Sun Apr 03, 2011 12:59 pm

Look at BC's LRAP. It will likely help to offset the difference in Scholly. If you want more versatility down the road BC will without question be the correct decision. A lot of people are interested in PI when entering but change their minds once in law school. It is usually best to not limit your options.

africaforlife

New

Post by africaforlife » Mon Apr 04, 2011 9:32 am

thank you for the advice. Does anyone else have any other words of wisdom that I should consider? i would be very grateful for any thoughts, but particularly from students at any of the three schools I am thinking about.

Thanks!

ldboston

New

Post by ldboston » Mon Apr 04, 2011 9:48 am

I would go with BC if you want to be able to work abroad/nationally. LRAP will help offset costs later, as will living in Newton with parents. I know several people at Suffolk Law who just aren't finding jobs, especially outside Boston. I think BC gives you the most options for the work you want to do.

Good luck with deciding!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

knotoftoads

New

Post by knotoftoads » Wed Apr 13, 2011 2:25 pm

don't pick Suffolk

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Wed Apr 13, 2011 2:27 pm

Given not just current hiring levels ITE, but also how saturated the Boston legal market is and how those specific schools place, I would honestly recommend "don't go" over either Northeastern or Suffolk.

paratactical

Platinum

Post by paratactical » Wed Apr 13, 2011 2:30 pm

Last edited by paratactical on Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Valkyrie

Bronze

Post by The Valkyrie » Wed Apr 13, 2011 2:48 pm

none of these schools are special. Considering your career goals, you should absolutely go to the school that will cost you the least money.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”