.

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

NYU, Penn, or Michigan

NYU
17
52%
Penn
9
27%
MIchigan
7
21%
 
Total votes: 33

reversejinx
Posts: 101
Joined: Mon Dec 27, 2010 4:25 pm

.

Postby reversejinx » Sun Apr 03, 2011 2:42 am

.
Last edited by reversejinx on Sat Jun 04, 2011 3:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
2things2
Posts: 183
Joined: Mon Sep 20, 2010 2:39 am

Re: NYU, Penn, or Michigan?

Postby 2things2 » Sun Apr 03, 2011 2:48 am

reversejinx wrote:I've been dreading doing this for some time, but after having spent a bunch of money and 2 weeks of my life to tour each school, I am just as confused as I was two weeks ago. Each place had very different atmospheres. I didn't particularly like Philly, although Penn was very nice. New York is New York, although the NYU campus was the worst of the three. Michigan had an amazing campus, but the surrounding area had a small town feel that I'll either come to love or hate over the three years. I'm just not sure which. I am not particularly risk/debt averse. I have no real regional preference, although California or New York make the most sense to me. I am shooting for either an Art. III or big law, preferably both. About as generic as it gets. Where should I go? Thanks!

NYU's campus is located in the heart of one of the greatest cities in the world. The campus essentially is New York City. This cannot be overstated.
Last edited by 2things2 on Sun Apr 03, 2011 3:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

dukey
Posts: 59
Joined: Fri Mar 18, 2011 6:56 pm

Re: NYU, Penn, or Michigan?

Postby dukey » Sun Apr 03, 2011 2:59 am

NYU given your career goals. Seems like you'll enjoy NYC as well.

Regardless of campus, you'll be stuck in one building for a long long time. NYU's law building is not bad at all - pretty comfortable if you ask me (visited there before).

User avatar
yngblkgifted
Posts: 1049
Joined: Sun Apr 25, 2010 8:57 pm

Re: NYU, Penn, or Michigan?

Postby yngblkgifted » Sun Apr 03, 2011 3:06 am

reversejinx wrote:I've been dreading doing this for some time, but after having spent a bunch of money and 2 weeks of my life to tour each school, I am just as confused as I was two weeks ago. Each place had very different atmospheres. I didn't particularly like Philly, although Penn was very nice. New York is New York, although the NYU campus was the worst of the three. Michigan had an amazing campus, but the surrounding area had a small town feel that I'll either come to love or hate over the three years. I'm just not sure which. I am not particularly risk/debt averse. I have no real regional preference, although California or New York make the most sense to me. I am shooting for either an Art. III or big law, preferably both. About as generic as it gets. Where should I go? Thanks!


Is this a good or a bad thing to you? Everything is relative here.

It sounds like you liked Michigan's campus the most. I felt the exact same way about Penn/Philly. If only it were in a different city :roll: .

Assuming that you meant that you really like NYC, then I would say it is between NYU/Michigan. I think you may be leaning Michigan??? Look at it this way, you'll have plenty of time to go to a big city once you are out of law school. While you are in school, it is not like you will be doing that much in the surrounding areas. I doubt Ann Arbor would be unbearable...not more so than Philly at least, and you even said you may grow to love it. What was so bad about NYU's campus? I think it comes down to, how important is the surrounding city vs. the actual campus.

Your ambiguity/indifference is making it extremely difficult to give good advice here. lol

There is no wrong answer here, they are all great schools. Only you have the answer. I understand how daunting this decision can be since I am currently making mine as well. Sorry if this post makes little to no sense, it's late but I would like to give you some type of help. HTH. Good luck.

User avatar
yngblkgifted
Posts: 1049
Joined: Sun Apr 25, 2010 8:57 pm

Re: NYU, Penn, or Michigan?

Postby yngblkgifted » Sun Apr 03, 2011 3:08 am

2things2 wrote:
reversejinx wrote:I've been dreading doing this for some time, but after having spent a bunch of money and 2 weeks of my life to tour each school, I am just as confused as I was two weeks ago. Each place had very different atmospheres. I didn't particularly like Philly, although Penn was very nice. New York is New York, although the NYU campus was the worst of the three. Michigan had an amazing campus, but the surrounding area had a small town feel that I'll either come to love or hate over the three years. I'm just not sure which. I am not particularly risk/debt averse. I have no real regional preference, although California or New York make the most sense to me. I am shooting for either an Art. III or big law, preferably both. About as generic as it gets. Where should I go? Thanks!

NYU's campus is located in the heart of one of the greatest cities in the world. The campus essentially in New York City. This cannot be overstated.


Is your avatar that "hot girl from 4 E?" If so, I think you are fucking awesome!
Last edited by yngblkgifted on Sun Apr 03, 2011 4:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
2things2
Posts: 183
Joined: Mon Sep 20, 2010 2:39 am

Re: NYU, Penn, or Michigan?

Postby 2things2 » Sun Apr 03, 2011 3:12 am

yngblkgifted wrote:
2things2 wrote:
reversejinx wrote:I've been dreading doing this for some time, but after having spent a bunch of money and 2 weeks of my life to tour each school, I am just as confused as I was two weeks ago. Each place had very different atmospheres. I didn't particularly like Philly, although Penn was very nice. New York is New York, although the NYU campus was the worst of the three. Michigan had an amazing campus, but the surrounding area had a small town feel that I'll either come to love or hate over the three years. I'm just not sure which. I am not particularly risk/debt averse. I have no real regional preference, although California or New York make the most sense to me. I am shooting for either an Art. III or big law, preferably both. About as generic as it gets. Where should I go? Thanks!

NYU's campus is located in the heart of one of the greatest cities in the world. The campus essentially in New York City. This cannot be overstated.


Is you avatar that "hot girl from 4 E?" If so, I think you are fucking awesome!

right?!?! she's so hot.

User avatar
yngblkgifted
Posts: 1049
Joined: Sun Apr 25, 2010 8:57 pm

Re: NYU, Penn, or Michigan?

Postby yngblkgifted » Sun Apr 03, 2011 3:18 am

2things2 wrote:
yngblkgifted wrote:
2things2 wrote:
reversejinx wrote:I've been dreading doing this for some time, but after having spent a bunch of money and 2 weeks of my life to tour each school, I am just as confused as I was two weeks ago. Each place had very different atmospheres. I didn't particularly like Philly, although Penn was very nice. New York is New York, although the NYU campus was the worst of the three. Michigan had an amazing campus, but the surrounding area had a small town feel that I'll either come to love or hate over the three years. I'm just not sure which. I am not particularly risk/debt averse. I have no real regional preference, although California or New York make the most sense to me. I am shooting for either an Art. III or big law, preferably both. About as generic as it gets. Where should I go? Thanks!

NYU's campus is located in the heart of one of the greatest cities in the world. The campus essentially in New York City. This cannot be overstated.


Is you avatar that "hot girl from 4 E?" If so, I think you are fucking awesome!

right?!?! she's so hot.

fell in love with her the very first time I saw the commercial.

User avatar
FlightoftheEarls
Posts: 857
Joined: Fri Dec 19, 2008 5:50 pm

Re: NYU, Penn, or Michigan?

Postby FlightoftheEarls » Sun Apr 03, 2011 12:43 pm

No money at any of the schools?

dukey wrote:NYU given your career goals. Seems like you'll enjoy NYC as well.

If your goal is only NYC biglaw, NYU will be your best bet. However, Penn and Michigan consistently outplaced NYU in Article III clerkships based on all of the official data we have (by a not-insignificant amount, either - the only T14 NYU hasn't been out-averaged by in the past three years is Georgetown: http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=149333&p=4122116&hilit=clerkship#p4122116). Outside of NYC, I don't know that Michigan/NYU have any real placement difference. I can only find NYU's class of 2007 employed-at-graduation figure of 12% in California, while I believe Michigan's 2008 figure was around 14% - the difference here is negligible. Penn's has fluctuated between 7-11% in recent years, with an average of around 7.7% in California based on the school's data.

In my (admittedly biased) opinion, your decision comes down to any money difference and how comfortable you felt at each of the schools. I don't think there is a particularly wrong choice with any of these schools, especially assuming any money is on the table. Best of luck with your decision!

User avatar
gbpackerbacker
Posts: 634
Joined: Sun May 17, 2009 12:13 am

Re: NYU, Penn, or Michigan?

Postby gbpackerbacker » Sun Apr 03, 2011 12:46 pm

No Scholarship at any?

Ash;-)
Posts: 62
Joined: Sun Dec 05, 2010 6:54 pm

Re: NYU, Penn, or Michigan?

Postby Ash;-) » Thu Apr 07, 2011 8:01 pm

reversejinx wrote:I've been dreading doing this for some time, but after having spent a bunch of money and 2 weeks of my life to tour each school, I am just as confused as I was two weeks ago. Each place had very different atmospheres. I didn't particularly like Philly, although Penn was very nice. New York is New York, although the NYU campus was the worst of the three. Michigan had an amazing campus, but the surrounding area had a small town feel that I'll either come to love or hate over the three years. I'm just not sure which. I am not particularly risk/debt averse. I have no real regional preference, although California or New York make the most sense to me. I am shooting for either an Art. III or big law, preferably both. About as generic as it gets. Where should I go? Thanks!


clearly the choices are Michigan Vs. NYU... {i dont think Penn should come up as one of the choices in this conversation, base on how you described each school}... personally i like Michigan; after you are done with school and working for big law you'll get your fill for big city...lol.. further more Michigan Places very well on both coasts...so that will give you the true option that you are looking for [after graduation]...




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: DoYouEvenTLS, MarkinKansasCity, SunDevil14, Yahoo [Bot] and 3 guests