UT Austin or Fordham

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

UT Austin or Fordham

Fordham
15%
UT Austin
85%

Total votes: 26

nmillerrider

UT Austin or Fordham

Postby nmillerrider » Sat Apr 02, 2011 9:13 pm

I've been accepted to both in the past few days, but have yet to recieve full financial aid packages. Lets assume they are similar (they might not be, but i'll factor that in later). If I am not sure what area of law I would like to be in, but am considering International Law, Public Interest, or government work, and just maybe corporate law, which is a better choice?

How well would UT Austin's degree travel to other parts of the country? How about Fordham?

Now, if only Michigan, NYU, and Columbia would actually inform me of their decisions, I could actually try to make a final choice.

Thanks for any input you may have

dakatz

Re: UT Austin or Fordham

Postby dakatz » Sat Apr 02, 2011 9:15 pm

nmillerrider wrote:I've been accepted to both in the past few days, but have yet to recieve full financial aid packages. Lets assume they are similar (they might not be, but i'll factor that in later). If I am not sure what area of law I would like to be in, but am considering International Law, Public Interest, or government work, and just maybe corporate law, which is a better choice?

How well would UT Austin's degree travel to other parts of the country? How about Fordham?

Now, if only Michigan, NYU, and Columbia would actually inform me of their decisions, I could actually try to make a final choice.

Thanks for any input you may have

Well, where in the country would you like to end up? And I'm not sure what international law is.

Stanford4Me

Postby Stanford4Me » Sat Apr 02, 2011 9:25 pm

What state do you currently live in?

nmillerrider

Postby nmillerrider » Sat Apr 02, 2011 9:27 pm

I was living in California until last June, when I moved to Brooklyn. I would like to end up in NYC, DC, or california, but I wouldn't mind if I ended up staying in Austin.

As you can probably tell, part of the problem is that I don't know what I want. I'm partly hoping that someone here will be able to bring up something I should be considering that I hadn't thought of yet.

BeachandRun23

Postby BeachandRun23 » Sat Apr 02, 2011 9:41 pm

nmillerrider wrote:I was living in California until last June, when I moved to Brooklyn. I would like to end up in NYC, DC, or california, but I wouldn't mind if I ended up staying in Austin.

As you can probably tell, part of the problem is that I don't know what I want. I'm partly hoping that someone here will be able to bring up something I should be considering that I hadn't thought of yet.

Without a doubt UT. UT is a top notch school that can compete with other T14 schools and place nationally. Fordham is a regional school. It is good for NYC but its reputation does not travel very far. You also said you liked austin.

Stanford4Me

Postby Stanford4Me » Sat Apr 02, 2011 11:16 pm

I was trying to look up placement information on how each school places regionally, but was unable to do so. I would vote for UT because COA is going to be substantially lower, and it's a higher ranked school. Obviously it places a majority of its students in Texas, but that could be do to self selection (since something like 80% of its students are required to be Texas residents). Fordham will pretty much place you in New York, and even then you'll have to do extremely well and you'll be competing with CLS, NYU and all of the T14 for jobs in that market.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”