UMich or WashU... Help Me Choose

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Which school should I choose?

U of Michigan (100-110k total debt)
86%
Wash U (25-30k debt)
14%

Total votes: 49

lawlcat4179

UMich or WashU... Help Me Choose

Postby lawlcat4179 » Fri Apr 01, 2011 7:23 pm

Dollar amounts listed are the total cost of attendance over 3 years.

Little background info: I've spent my entire life in MI, don't really have any desire to leave. While I'd prefer to stay in MI, I honestly don't care too much as long as I stay in the Midwest. I'd rather work out of the state than take a terrible job within MI, location is more of a tiebreaker. However, I have no desire at all to work in Chicago or NY (if I wound up working there I would be very disappointed). My goal would be to work at one of the larger MI firms, or possibly a large STL firm if I went to WashU.

If I strike out and miss big/mid law, I don't mind working as a prosecutor or something along those lines, provided I have the means to pay off my debts (LRAP or small debt, either way). $100k is a LOT of money though, especially from someone who doesn't exactly come from a wealthy family. What do you think? Comments would be more than appreciated, I'm leaning toward one of the choices but I encourage you to persuade me the other way or point out things I may not have considered. Thanks

adt231

Re: UMich or WashU... Help Me Choose

Postby adt231 » Fri Apr 01, 2011 7:49 pm

You're right, 100k is a ton of money but since you actually have some desire to stay in Michigan, UMich is the obvious choice here.

adt231

Postby adt231 » Fri Apr 01, 2011 7:53 pm

I should have elaborated a bit more. The reason its the obvious choice here is that even though you are also cool with staying in STL to work, WashU doesn't necessarily clean up in STL (it competes with SLU) whereas Michigan does not compete with anyone really for staying in Mich (of course, maybe there are a few Mich natives who go off to other T14s and want to return, but I doubt they will be too much competition).

PLUS (and this is the biggest reason), Michigan opens SO MANY OTHER DOORS that if you do kick ass in law school or change your mind about what type of law you want to do or where you want to do it, Mich will provide wayyy more opportunities to do it.

And, of course there is nothing wrong with WashU, especially for nearly nothing. But since you have the chance to go to Mich at nearly half price, I think that is just too good to turn down.

lawlcat4179

Postby lawlcat4179 » Fri Apr 01, 2011 8:43 pm

Wow, I figured the TLS consensus would be Michigan, but not by quite such a margin. I was leaning the same way, but I actually emailed my situation to the hiring partner of a firm that I would want to work at, and she actually suggested WashU (which led me to my current uncertainty). She felt that with the current state of the economy, it would be incredibly foolish to take out that much for law school. Does she have a motive for telling me WashU that maybe I'm not aware of? It seems like I'm the only uber debt-averse person on here, which you would probably find incredibly ironic if you knew what my job was.

ArchRoark

Postby ArchRoark » Fri Apr 01, 2011 11:04 pm

I am in a similar situation (180k from NU vs 20-30K to UIUC/SMU/WUSTL) and I am leaning towards SMU. Now, if my debt load attending NU was around 100K, I would probably take that. If you have desire to return to Michigan, I would attend UMich.

lawlcat4179

Postby lawlcat4179 » Fri Apr 01, 2011 11:16 pm

ArchRoark wrote:I am in a similar situation (180k from NU vs 20-30K to UIUC/SMU/WUSTL) and I am leaning towards SMU. Now, if my debt load attending NU was around 100K, I would probably take that. If you have desire to return to Michigan, I would attend UMich.

Yeah, if I was in your spot I would definitely not choose NU. Pick your preferred region from the other three and go with it. For me, I've also got the fact that I could qualify for the UMich LRAP if I didn't land a large firm, which makes it pretty appealing since I wouldn't mind working as a prosecutor in the middle of nowhere (which I would assume wouldn't have TOO much competition). So actually, if I stuck out the ten years for the full loan forgiveness it would actually wind up costing me less overall than at WashU (since their LRAP isn't as good). Seems like the only ways I'm completely screwed is if I can't land any job at all, or land a job and not make it the required 10 years.

Looks like I'll be a wolverine (unless I'm forgetting some consideration).

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Sat Apr 02, 2011 12:02 am

The difference is about $75,000 which is a small monthly payment if repaid over 20 or 25 years. Visit both law schools, then, if still undecided, attend Michigan for the greater portability, better job prospects & greater prestige.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Sat Apr 02, 2011 3:14 am

I want to say Wash U, but come on... you are from Michigan and actually want to be in Michigan. Go to Michigan. Yes 100k is a lot of money, but you like Michigan, are from Michigan, and want to stay in Michigan. And Michigan is a friggen great law school.

Rock Chalk

Postby Rock Chalk » Sat Apr 02, 2011 4:05 am

Last edited by Rock Chalk on Thu May 24, 2012 8:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ndirish2010

Postby ndirish2010 » Sat Apr 02, 2011 10:45 am

Yeah, you love Michigan so why not stay. That money will either be paid off by big/midlaw or LRAP like you said.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”