Loyola Los Angeles or University of Miami School of Law??? Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
major32

New

Loyola Los Angeles or University of Miami School of Law???

Post by major32 » Fri Apr 01, 2011 6:40 pm

Which one would you choose at sticker price???

JimHalpert

New

Re: Loyola Los Angeles or University of Miami School of Law???

Post by JimHalpert » Fri Apr 01, 2011 6:53 pm

Answer Choice (E): not enough information

BarbellDreams

Gold

Post by BarbellDreams » Fri Apr 01, 2011 7:00 pm

At sticker price I would choose Miami if there was a gun to my head. Otherwise, I would retake because you will NEVER pay off that debt from those schools at sticker.

snichols16

Bronze

Post by snichols16 » Fri Apr 01, 2011 7:10 pm

BarbellDreams wrote:At sticker price I would choose Miami if there was a gun to my head. Otherwise, I would retake because you will NEVER pay off that debt from those schools at sticker.
Don't listen to this guy. If you want to stay in LA, many of the top firms recruit from Loyola. If big law is your goal and if you are a gunner, you'll be fine in LA.

major32

New

Post by major32 » Fri Apr 01, 2011 7:17 pm

snichols16 wrote:
BarbellDreams wrote:At sticker price I would choose Miami if there was a gun to my head. Otherwise, I would retake because you will NEVER pay off that debt from those schools at sticker.
Don't listen to this guy. If you want to stay in LA, many of the top firms recruit from Loyola. If big law is your goal and if you are a gunner, you'll be fine in LA.
Thanks. I appreciate the advice.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Justathought

Silver

Post by Justathought » Fri Apr 01, 2011 7:21 pm

major32 wrote:Which one would you choose at sticker price???
Do you have ties to LA? I'm on the wait list at Loyola, so if I attend it would likely be at sticker. I would probably go there over Miami because a lot of my family lives in LA. If everything is equal, Miami. No state income tax, bigger name in its immediate region, lower tuition.

major32

New

Post by major32 » Fri Apr 01, 2011 7:22 pm

JimHalpert wrote:Answer Choice (E): not enough information

My main interest is sports and entertainment law. I love both of the locations. I love both of the schools and what they have to offer(despite no merit aid). Both cities have high cost of living. I don't like the fact that Loyola is fenced in around the "hood". Basically is there anything that one school has that would make it wise for a person to choose that school over the other?

major32

New

Post by major32 » Fri Apr 01, 2011 7:24 pm

Justathought wrote:
major32 wrote:Which one would you choose at sticker price???
Do you have ties to LA? I'm on the wait list at Loyola, so if I attend it would likely be at sticker. I would probably go there over Miami because a lot of my family lives in LA. If everything is equal, Miami. No state income tax, bigger name in its immediate region, lower tuition.
I have no ties to either city. I will be my first time out of state, and I'm the first person in my family to go off to school. I like the the things mentioned about Florida! thanks for the advice.

snichols16

Bronze

Post by snichols16 » Fri Apr 01, 2011 7:26 pm

major32 wrote:

My main interest is sports and entertainment law. I love both of the locations. I love both of the schools and what they have to offer(despite no merit aid). Both cities have high cost of living. I don't like the fact that Loyola is fenced in around the "hood". Basically is there anything that one school has that would make it wise for a person to choose that school over the other?
If entertainment law is your goal, then I don't really think there is much of a question as to where you should go. Loyola is in an iffy part of town, but you don't have to live there. You can very easily live in West Hollywood, North Hollywood, a nicer part of downtown... Burbank, Glendale. Anywhere. The cost of living is going to blow no matter where you are, but you could cut it down. If you are going entertainment, I know several people who work for the entertainment focused firms who went to LLS. Not sure about studios, production companies, or agencies, though. Again, the key at LLS is to gun. Competition will be stiff because most people there have a chip on their shoulder for not getting into SC or UCLA. But the opportunities are there.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Justathought

Silver

Post by Justathought » Fri Apr 01, 2011 7:29 pm

snichols16 wrote:
major32 wrote:

If entertainment law is your goal, then I don't really think there is much of a question as to where you should go. Loyola is in an iffy part of town, but you don't have to live there. You can very easily live in West Hollywood, North Hollywood, a nicer part of downtown... Burbank, Glendale. Anywhere. The cost of living is going to blow no matter where you are, but you could cut it down. If you are going entertainment, I know several people who work for the entertainment focused firms who went to LLS. Not sure about studios, production companies, or agencies, though. Again, the key at LLS is to gun. Competition will be stiff because most people there have a chip on their shoulder for not getting into SC or UCLA. But the opportunities are there.
I agree Loyola has to be better for entertainment law, just based on location. If that's your only goal, I suggest Loyola.

Caveat: Its a hard market to break into, only a fraction of students will do it, even at top schools in the region.

major32

New

Post by major32 » Fri Apr 01, 2011 8:36 pm

Thanks for all the info. You all are very helpful. It's a tough decision for me.

golfer89

New

Post by golfer89 » Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:21 pm

I'm facing pretty much the same decision (same schools, money's pretty much equal), so let me know what you decide! I'm really torn about which to choose. Have you visited them both? I've only visited Miami so far...the campus was beautiful but I'm not a huge fan of the city of Miami.

major32

New

Post by major32 » Sat Apr 02, 2011 8:08 am

golfer89 wrote:I'm facing pretty much the same decision (same schools, money's pretty much equal), so let me know what you decide! I'm really torn about which to choose. Have you visited them both? I've only visited Miami so far...the campus was beautiful but I'm not a huge fan of the city of Miami.

I've only visited Miami. I loved the campus and I love the city. I've only heard things about Loyola. The things I heard about it as far as location and the city were not impressive. I love the qualities I hear about the school, but I gotta be careful about what they're trying to sell admitted students if you know what I mean. Have you ever been in LA? I will keep you posted by the way. I want to make my decision around the tenth or so. Not too close to the due date for Miami's deposit.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Aberzombie1892

Gold

Post by Aberzombie1892 » Sat Apr 02, 2011 8:58 am

Don't you think that is a little dramatic? While I sill say that paying more than $100,000 for a law degree outside the T6 is not a wise short term decision, OP will make the COA back throughout his career (even if that takes 20-25 years). Basically, I am saying that it will pay off, but not as quickly as it would if he/she was looking at better schools.

Of course, this dependent on OP's other options.

maxm2764

Silver

Post by maxm2764 » Sat Apr 02, 2011 9:16 am

major32 wrote:My main interest is sports and entertainment law. ?
Before I say this, I just want you to know that I'm not one of those "retake or don't go" type of people. I honestly think that there's a school out there for everyone and that not going to a T-14 doesn't mean you'll be debt-ridden working at The Home Depot for the rest of your life.

With that said, Sports and Entertainment law is an incredibly difficult (if not near impossible) field to crack. There's only a few people who actually practice in this field and they're usually only doing it because of some connection they have. I wouldn't base my decision on the idea that you'll get into this area of the law.

I'm not saying that you won't, because who knows you could be one of the luck ones, but I think that you should leave your options open to what area you'd like to practice in and decide between the two schools on other contributing factors.

/rant.

BarbellDreams

Gold

Post by BarbellDreams » Sat Apr 02, 2011 9:25 am

Aberzombie1892 wrote:
Don't you think that is a little dramatic? While I sill say that paying more than $100,000 for a law degree outside the T6 is not a wise short term decision, OP will make the COA back throughout his career (even if that takes 20-25 years). Basically, I am saying that it will pay off, but not as quickly as it would if he/she was looking at better schools.

Of course, this dependent on OP's other options.
I honestly dont think its too dramatic for two reasons:

1. At sticker price we're not talking 100k which is scary from these types of schools but I can see rationalizing. We're talking about 180-200k.
2. That 180-200k will not get 10-year forgiveness because OP doesn't want to do PI. So what we have is 180-200k that OP will be paying off got 25 years after graduation unless he lands top 5-10% + Law Review. 10% chance (at best) of succeeding versus 90% that you're paying loans off till you're 50 isn't a gamble I could ever take.

maxm2764

Silver

Post by maxm2764 » Sat Apr 02, 2011 9:31 am

Both are private schools in expensive cities. 100k covers maybe two years in Miami, especially if OP would be moving there.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Justathought

Silver

Post by Justathought » Sat Apr 02, 2011 9:52 am

As someone considering paying for Miami, at sticker, I can confirm its just under 200k. Its a tough pill to swallow, and I wouldn't advise doing it via loans unless you are certain you want to get a job in the public sector and IBR / LRAP it for 10 years.

It looks like the tuition at both schools is even; I stated earlier that Loyola was a bit more expensive, they're actually the same. I think you'll spend a little more for a little less in LA for living expenses. Plus, its one of the worst legal markets in the country. I don't think S. Florida is a cakewalk, but at least you don't have UCLA, USC, and evenly ranked Pepperdine surrounding you on all sides. Plus, again, no state income tax. Also, Florida has a lot of deals, in terms of real estate. Its a buyers market down there.

major32

New

Post by major32 » Sat Apr 02, 2011 1:18 pm

which school is better for networking with alumni?

Justathought

Silver

Post by Justathought » Sat Apr 02, 2011 1:34 pm

I've heard good things about both. Miami's is a little more spread out, with graduates finding work in more Florida locations and sending more graduates out of state. Loyola's is very LA centric, but there are a ton of Loyola grads in LA. Both schools are very regional though, so despite a bit more reach by Miami, you are going to have to bank on South Florida for work.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”