Which NY Law School Should I Choose?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Which law school should I choose?

Cardozo May Part-Time (at sticker)
25%
Brooklyn (at sticker)
5%
Hofstra ($40,000 scholarship 1st year)
32%
St. John's ($25,000 scholarship 1st year)
27%
Pace ($22,000 scholarship 1st year)
No votes
NYLS ($30,000 scholarship 1st year)
4%
CUNY Queens (at sticker)
7%

Total votes: 56

Slevin Kelevra 2011

Re: Which NY Law School Should I Choose?

Postby Slevin Kelevra 2011 » Sun Apr 10, 2011 1:10 pm

None of the above? I wouldn't attend any of these unless I could be guaranteed 0 debt at graduation.

dissonance1848

Postby dissonance1848 » Sun Apr 10, 2011 1:15 pm

Forget all of the above. Do Buffalo. Has similar placement to St. Johns and Hofstra, much cheaper. Do it. Check out the Choosing a School in the New York Market before anything else.

IzziesGal

Postby IzziesGal » Sun Apr 10, 2011 1:17 pm

Ugh. I don't think the OP is looking for people to tell her that her options suck. She is looking for feedback among the choices that she has. The negativity is not only unnecessary, but it is hurtful. Getting into law school - any law school - is an accomplishment.

I vote Cardozo. It places better than the other choices in biglaw, and just has a better reputation. I would stay away from NYLS, as I have friends there and if you don't maintain a certain GPA after the first semester, you can get kicked out. No one should have to deal with that looming over their head during finals. Cardozo is also a tier 2 I believe, which believe it or not makes it a lot stronger than people are giving it credit for. I know someone at CUNY, but not well enough to weigh in. I have heard stories about St. John's and Brooklyn kids not getting jobs. I think Cardozo is the best bet. Good luck!

Edit: if you're concerned about being part-time, see if Cardozo will let you transfer into the full-time program after a year. Georgetown has this option, and I assume other law schools do as well.

MP24

Postby MP24 » Sun Apr 10, 2011 2:51 pm

Thanks IzziesGal for the supportive comments! Cardozo does let students transfer into the full-time program after the first year. I am also on the wait list for the full-time program, so I suppose there's a slight chance I could get off it.

As far as NYLS, I'm not sure if they still drop people out who don't do well their first semester. Hopefully, I won't be in that situation but I was told that for the students that do fall in the bottom 25% of the class, they are forced to go into the Comprehensive Curriculum Program which includes additional prep courses. However, I'm concerned that your friends have heard differently.

zanda

Postby zanda » Sun Apr 10, 2011 3:53 pm

MP24 wrote:Thanks IzziesGal for the supportive comments! Cardozo does let students transfer into the full-time program after the first year. I am also on the wait list for the full-time program, so I suppose there's a slight chance I could get off it.

As far as NYLS, I'm not sure if they still drop people out who don't do well their first semester. Hopefully, I won't be in that situation but I was told that for the students that do fall in the bottom 25% of the class, they are forced to go into the Comprehensive Curriculum Program which includes additional prep courses. However, I'm concerned that your friends have heard differently.

If you're in the bottom of the NYLS class they're doing you a favor by not letting you waste more money and time.

XxSpyKEx

Postby XxSpyKEx » Sun Apr 10, 2011 3:57 pm

IzziesGal wrote:Ugh. I don't think the OP is looking for people to tell her that her options suck. She is looking for feedback among the choices that she has. The negativity is not only unnecessary, but it is hurtful. Getting into law school - any law school - is an accomplishment.

I like your positivity, which is something pretty much everyone this message board lacks. Nonetheless, the underlined is patently untrue. Pretty much anyone can get into some law school (see, e.g., Cooley's median GPA & LSAT). Most of the schools that people with a bad GPA and/or LSAT can get into, however, are not worth the money they cost (because the benefit of attendance is not high enough to offset the cost). None of these schools being discussed here are worth what OP will have to pay to attend them. NY is a pretty competitive legal market because there are a ton of law schools in NYC and a ton of students that want to be in NYC (such as a ton of students from t14 schools that are not located in NY). Going to a bad law school that depends on the NY legal market, or a slight better ranked (but still not good) school that depends on the NY legal for a high price just doesn't make sense from a cost-benefit standpoint. Although, I guess it's another story if OP is extremely wealthy and just wants to go to law school for the sake of going to law school.

YourCaptain

Postby YourCaptain » Sun Apr 10, 2011 3:59 pm

IzziesGal wrote:Ugh. I don't think the OP is looking for people to tell her that her options suck. She is looking for feedback among the choices that she has. The negativity is not only unnecessary, but it is hurtful. Getting into law school - any law school - is an accomplishment.

:lol:

Robespierre

Postby Robespierre » Mon Apr 11, 2011 11:35 am

Don't go to Pace or NYLS under any circumstances.

Don't go to CUNY under any circumstances unless PI is your goal.

The SJU and Hofstra scholarships have so many limitations and stipulations that they are illusory.

Go to Dozo or Brooklyn. I would vote for Dozo as slightly better all around.

But don't go at all, if you can't live with the possibility of the nightmare scenario of 200K in debt and no job. It could happen.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”