GWU vs. ND in terms of degree portability Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Mr. December

New

GWU vs. ND in terms of degree portability

Post by Mr. December » Fri Apr 01, 2011 3:47 pm

Although GW is ranked slightly higher, I keep hearing about the power of the ND alumni network. Which school would offer more national portability for my degree?

bk1

Diamond

Re: GWU vs. ND in terms of degree portability

Post by bk1 » Fri Apr 01, 2011 3:54 pm

Both will need you to be at the top of your class to have any semblance of "national" placement. Since the difference is marginal pick where you would rather be should you happen to not be at the top of your class and be stuck in the school's region (midwest vs DC).

FWIW, ND primarily places in Illinois (with 5-10% staying in Indiana) whereas GW places primarily in DC (which is obvious however it is important to note that only 1/3 of GW students actually stay in the DC-MD-VA area).

NikaneOkie

Bronze

Post by NikaneOkie » Fri Apr 01, 2011 3:58 pm

bk187 wrote:Both will need you to be at the top of your class to have any semblance of "national" placement. Since the difference is marginal pick where you would rather be should you happen to not be at the top of your class and be stuck in the school's region (midwest vs DC).

FWIW, ND primarily places in Illinois (with 5-10% staying in Indiana) whereas GW places primarily in DC (which is obvious however it is important to note that only 1/3 of GW students actually stay in the DC-MD-VA area).
I'm not sure what the right answer to this is, but this small experiential information could possibly help you.

I have multiple family members who recently went to ND, graduated cum laude and both landed excellent, excellent jobs in DC afterward. I really think that the alumni network at ND ought not to be underestimated.
That isn't to say that perhaps you couldn't do the same thing from GW.

ndirish2010

Gold

Post by ndirish2010 » Fri Apr 01, 2011 4:03 pm

I think that there is a huge self selection issue with this question. Most people go to GW and want DC. People come to ND from everywhere looking to go back where they are from (a sample of our current 1L class would bear this out). Don't underestimate the power of the ND alumni network, but I don't know really anything about GW so I can't say that much. I'm also looking to secure employment in the midwest.

Justathought

Silver

Post by Justathought » Fri Apr 01, 2011 4:09 pm

Here's some meaningless anecdotal evidence for you: My cousin graduated from GW a few years back. Originally from LA, and made it back there for work with little trouble. She did well in school, but I don't imagine she is unique in pulling something like this off.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Blindmelon

Gold

Post by Blindmelon » Sat Apr 02, 2011 8:02 am

Anecdotal examples are pretty worthless. ND's alumni network is totally overrated- it didn't help them place into bigfirms according to the latest NLJ data (ND at 24%, GW at 25%). The schools are peers in every way and you should think about where you want to work and choose accordingly - DC/NYC = GW, Chicago/West = ND. Note that from either of these schools you'll need be in the top 1/4 or so to get something that'll help you repay your debt if you're not going with significant scholarship.

ndirish2010

Gold

Post by ndirish2010 » Sat Apr 02, 2011 10:38 am

Blindmelon wrote:Anecdotal examples are pretty worthless. ND's alumni network is totally overrated- it didn't help them place into bigfirms according to the latest NLJ data (ND at 24%, GW at 25%). The schools are peers in every way and you should think about where you want to work and choose accordingly - DC/NYC = GW, Chicago/West = ND. Note that from either of these schools you'll need be in the top 1/4 or so to get something that'll help you repay your debt if you're not going with significant scholarship.
Not disagreeing with the assertion that ND and GW are peers, but I disagree that our alumni network is 'overrated.' I think most ND and NDLS students would agree with me. Plus, there is an east coast bias even for the NLJ250...plenty of firms that we place into aren't NLJ250 still pay 90-115K in smaller markets. I know most people on here would never work in a non-major market but not everyone wants NYC/DC or even Chicago. Again, not disagreeing that ND/GW are peers and that if you do want to work in DC or really anywhere on I95, you should go to GW over ND.

Blindmelon

Gold

Post by Blindmelon » Sat Apr 02, 2011 11:44 am

ndirish2010 wrote:
Blindmelon wrote:Anecdotal examples are pretty worthless. ND's alumni network is totally overrated- it didn't help them place into bigfirms according to the latest NLJ data (ND at 24%, GW at 25%). The schools are peers in every way and you should think about where you want to work and choose accordingly - DC/NYC = GW, Chicago/West = ND. Note that from either of these schools you'll need be in the top 1/4 or so to get something that'll help you repay your debt if you're not going with significant scholarship.
Not disagreeing with the assertion that ND and GW are peers, but I disagree that our alumni network is 'overrated.' I think most ND and NDLS students would agree with me. Plus, there is an east coast bias even for the NLJ250...plenty of firms that we place into aren't NLJ250 still pay 90-115K in smaller markets. I know most people on here would never work in a non-major market but not everyone wants NYC/DC or even Chicago. Again, not disagreeing that ND/GW are peers and that if you do want to work in DC or really anywhere on I95, you should go to GW over ND.
There are also firms in MD/VA that pay 90-115k, so I don't think that is unique to where ND grads go. I would take GW for anywhere on the East Coast, ND for elsewhere. I think ND's alumni network helps it reach more markets, but it doesn't make it on-par with regional schools that feed directly and almost exclusively into those markets. In short, if you want NYC or DC, easily take GW. I'd take GW for the NE in general too, but I would take ND for basically anywhere else.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”