Would You Rather...

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Which School / Legal Market Combo?

Kent for Chicago
21%
Rutgers for NYC
14%
Miami for South Florida
65%

Total votes: 57

glewz

Re: Would You Rather...

Postby glewz » Sun Apr 03, 2011 4:18 pm

BeachandRun23 wrote:Miami without a doubt. All the other markets are extremely flooded and targeted by T14 grads. Florida has less good schools in it (at U miami you'd be at one of the best schools in florida) and your market isnt so overwhelmed with grads looking for jobs.

This.

As much as it sounds unattractive, follow the footsteps of LeBronze.

Justathought

Postby Justathought » Sun Apr 03, 2011 4:21 pm

HeavenWood wrote:Rutgers for NYC is practically a pipe dream in this economy, but if you don't mind the (very real) possibility of working in North Jersey, it's probably your best option.

I do mind it, but it might be a risk I end up taking. I have until the 15th to decide, so we shall see. My dilemma stems from the size of these markets. NY has so many more opportunities than South Florida. I know there is less competition down there, but the recent NALP report on market trends showed the southeast as nothing short of brutal. In 2009, The largest firms in Miami were taking summer classes of around 10; many people got no-offered, and many firms took classes of like 2-4. Meanwhile I have significant ties in NY, lived here all my life, and know a whole slew of attorneys from prior business dealings. That may come in handy, or it may not. Bottom line, Rutgers is cheap, but I hate Newark and am very concerned about ending up in Jersey. I should probably just go though; if I make it my mission to end up in NYC, i think its very feasible, provided we're not just speaking in terms of biglaw.

HeavenWood

Postby HeavenWood » Sun Apr 03, 2011 4:23 pm

Justathought wrote:Bottom line, Rutgers is cheap, but I hate Newark and am very concerned about ending up in Jersey

Then don't go. Seriously. NYC is such a saturated market (and Rutgers is so far down on the NYC totem pole) that you CANNOT by any means bank on ending up there.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Sun Apr 03, 2011 8:25 pm

BeachandRun23 wrote:Miami without a doubt. All the other markets are extremely flooded and targeted by T14 grads. Florida has less good schools in it (at U miami you'd be at one of the best schools in florida) and your market isnt so overwhelmed with grads looking for jobs.

lol Miami is very much targeted by T14 grads. FL legal market tanked with housing and it's not back, not by a long shot. South FL is saturated with grads. People from FIU and Nova do get jobs, ya know.

OP, what are your career goals and where do you have ties?

Justathought

Postby Justathought » Sun Apr 03, 2011 8:49 pm

rad law wrote:

lol Miami is very much targeted by T14 grads. FL legal market tanked with housing and it's not back, not by a long shot. South FL is saturated with grads. People from FIU and Nova do get jobs, ya know.

Ties to NYC. Looking for work in real estate / construction related law; due to a strong pre-legal background in that area. Also, would be interested in tax law, but obviously have no idea if I'd have an aptitude for that. Just trying to pick the best market, given my current options. Miami seems like a solid choice based on career preferences, despite a lack of ties. I think, provided good grades, I could make my resume stand out from similar students; even students from higher ranked schools. (Edit: Obviously getting good grades will be tough anywhere)

However, I can't say I'm exactly clear on how bad the market is. Perhaps its better to go with over the overcrowded, but huge market which is NYC.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Sun Apr 03, 2011 9:50 pm

Justathought wrote:
rad law wrote:

Ties to NYC. Looking for work in real estate / construction related law; due to a strong pre-legal background in that area. Also, would be interested in tax law, but obviously have no idea if I'd have an aptitude for that. Just trying to pick the best market, given my current options. Miami seems like a solid choice based on career preferences, despite a lack of ties. I think, provided good grades, I could make my resume stand out from similar students; even students from higher ranked schools. (Edit: Obviously getting good grades will be tough anywhere)

However, I can't say I'm exactly clear on how bad the market is. Perhaps its better to go with over the overcrowded, but huge market which is NYC.

Assume you'll be median. Median at UM is not a great place to be, especially with no ties. I'd be hesitant to go to UM, even if you'd graduate with no debt due to savings.

Justathought

Postby Justathought » Mon Apr 04, 2011 7:26 pm

Got into Temple today, and USD rendered a decision. I think, barring a nice offer from USD, I'll head to Temple. Its fairly cheap, even without instate tuition, and my family has a home in PA. That means I might have a fighting chance at establishing residency, at least for 2L onward.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Mon Apr 04, 2011 8:12 pm

Justathought wrote:Got into Temple today, and USD rendered a decision. I think, barring a nice offer from USD, I'll head to Temple. Its fairly cheap, even without instate tuition, and my family has a home in PA. That means I might have a fighting chance at establishing residency, at least for 2L onward.

Sounds like a good plan bro. Godspeed.

Justathought

Postby Justathought » Mon Apr 04, 2011 8:25 pm

rad law wrote:
Justathought wrote:Got into Temple today, and USD rendered a decision. I think, barring a nice offer from USD, I'll head to Temple. Its fairly cheap, even without instate tuition, and my family has a home in PA. That means I might have a fighting chance at establishing residency, at least for 2L onward.

Can't quite tell if you're serious. I hear so few positives things from you, so its hard to know if you're genuinely in agreement here. :wink:

In any case, thanks for the help! I do appreciate the frankness.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Mon Apr 04, 2011 8:28 pm

Justathought wrote:
rad law wrote:

Can't quite tell if you're serious. I hear so few positives things from you, so its hard to know if you're genuinely in agreement here. :wink:

In any case, thanks for the help! I do appreciate the frankness.

Haha I'm actually being serious. Best of luck man.

Justathought

Postby Justathought » Mon Apr 04, 2011 8:29 pm

Thanks very much.

northwood

Postby northwood » Mon Apr 04, 2011 8:30 pm

when rad says its serious, or gets serious, you know its definately serious and you should heed his advice

end of story.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”