Tulane vs. UF (last minute!) Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Tulane or Florida

Tulane
64%
Florida
36%

Total votes: 59

Barbie

Gold

Tulane vs. UF (last minute!)

Post by Barbie » Fri Apr 01, 2011 2:28 pm

Which one is better for general work in the south? (As in Miss, Bama, LA, GA, SC, NC, FL, Tenn)?

I know I've made 100 of these, but I thought Tulane dinged me a while ago. I actually was really excited about them and kind of wrote them off after they ignored me since day 1. Well, I just got my scholarship offer and acceptance that makes it the same price as UF instate. Now I have no idea what to do!

Kicker: My husband has a business degree and is seriously seeking work. I've been told NOLA will have much more opportunities than Gainesville will. Need some advice or possible links to employment stats I can compare the two?
Last edited by Barbie on Sat Apr 02, 2011 12:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

FeelTheHeat

Platinum

Re: Tulane vs. UF (last minute!)

Post by FeelTheHeat » Fri Apr 01, 2011 2:39 pm

I think you might need to step back for about a week and let the excitement of Tulane pass over. When it comes to a decision like this it is difficult to separate emotion and approach it logically. Tulane just accepted you, they are new, exciting, and something you didn't even think was a possibility. Hell, if I thought someone didn't want me and then swooped in not only accepting me but throwing money as well, it would be overwhelming compared to my old choice I was set on.

You HAVE to visit (but not right after your wedding ;), get a good idea on where you want to be after graduation (I've yet to see evidence that either school is truly regional like you are looking for, but that is strictly from TLS wisdom), be comfortable where you choose.

Aberzombie1892

Gold

Post by Aberzombie1892 » Fri Apr 01, 2011 2:47 pm

x
Last edited by Aberzombie1892 on Fri Apr 01, 2011 3:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Barbie

Gold

Post by Barbie » Fri Apr 01, 2011 2:55 pm

Aberzombie1892 wrote:Where do you have ties to?

From what I have seen and heard,

1. If they are at the same price and
2. you don't really really want to be in FL (or have ties to FL, whatever it may be),

Tulane.

You chances securing legal employment are higher at Tulane. Period.

Ironically my biggest tie to the FL legal market is also in NOLA... so that evens out. Thanks for your input. I wish I could see stats for legal employment for both. What is your reference if you dont mind?

FeelTheHeat

Platinum

Post by FeelTheHeat » Fri Apr 01, 2011 2:56 pm

--ImageRemoved--

Employment prospects look nearly identical to to me. Such a negligible difference renders them meaningless.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

JakeL

Bronze

Post by JakeL » Fri Apr 01, 2011 3:12 pm

Tulane sounds cooler.

mcubberly

Bronze

Post by mcubberly » Fri Apr 01, 2011 3:14 pm

NOLA's probably a better place to find MBA-type work. There's some banking stuff here (Chase, etc).

Aberzombie1892

Gold

Post by Aberzombie1892 » Fri Apr 01, 2011 3:23 pm

x
Last edited by Aberzombie1892 on Fri Apr 01, 2011 3:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Knock

Platinum

Post by Knock » Fri Apr 01, 2011 3:27 pm

You need a poll.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

FeelTheHeat

Platinum

Post by FeelTheHeat » Fri Apr 01, 2011 3:30 pm

Aberzombie1892 wrote:What is that chart supposed to show? Their "similarity?" Every law school places 50+% of their class in law firms. So I don't get your point.

Let's go down the list of what the OP should consider:
1. Which school has a better curve (which has been shown to affect employment outcomes)?
Tulane.
2. At which school with OP have less in-house competition for local and out of state jobs?
Tulane.
3. Which school is cheaper?
Neither.
4. Which school places better in OP's desired region?
I'm not sure about UF, but my class has done well in the southeast. From what I understand, UF students are fortunate to get out of state period.

I really don't know what else really should come into play without knowing the OP's interests. But by looking at the above, I know which school I would pick.
I know! Let's disregard statistics and facts because I really don't think they matter and just apply my vague anectodal (and as of now baseless) evidence about competition and placing well throughout the southeast!

You go to Tulane and so it is difficult to be objective. I get it. I am doing the same thing with UF. But when subjectivity is likely to be swayed by personal feelings towards a school, present facts and statistics instead of just dismissing them outright.

FeelTheHeat

Platinum

Post by FeelTheHeat » Fri Apr 01, 2011 3:40 pm

No. I haven't seen evidence of it, but it makes enough sense to take you at your word for it.

Demonstrate the other claims you make. Going off the aforementioned graph, along with lawschooltransparency, there is little to no difference between the two schools. If you just want to say bullshit and that the numbers are made up, fine. But come with something other than "my class is doing well and places throughout the southeast." If I went to Tulane, I'd still have a job in Miami because of connections I've established. Look, mobility!

My larger point is that the difference between the two schools in negligible at best. Therefore, it is in her best interests to visit the school and make a decision based on comfort level and each and other personal factors (i.e. husband's job, which is a substantial one). Those should come before any perceived statistical difference between the two schools, according to my research.

Edit: The post I was replying to was deleted. My general point remains.
Last edited by FeelTheHeat on Fri Apr 01, 2011 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LSATmakesMeNeurotic

Silver

Post by LSATmakesMeNeurotic » Fri Apr 01, 2011 3:42 pm

I think that a majority of UF grads stay in-state due to the difficult nature of the Florida Bar. Those in Florida obviously have an advantage, and why wouldn't they exploit that advantage? I don't think it is because they can't find jobs out of state.

New Orleans is a fantastic city from what I hear. But the rest of the state is consistently placed near last place educationally, economically etc. It makes sense that Tulane grads would want to get out of the state if they don't want to practice law in NO.

If you really like it there, and want to practice there, then go for it. I was talking with my cousin the other day (went to UM), and he said that after you get your first job, NO ONE will ask you where you went to law school. It's getting that first job that counts, and that's where I think UF has the advantage. The alumni base is so large and loyal that I think you'd have an easier time finding a job in Florida.

That being said, you already have your contacts that are based in NOLA. If that is what you want to do/who you want to work for, then you should do that.

FeelTheHeat

Platinum

Post by FeelTheHeat » Fri Apr 01, 2011 3:43 pm

LSATmakesMeNeurotic wrote:I think that a majority of UF grads stay in-state due to the difficult nature of the Florida Bar. Those in Florida obviously have an advantage, and why wouldn't they exploit that advantage? I don't think it is because they can't find jobs out of state.

New Orleans is a fantastic city from what I hear. But the rest of the state is consistently placed near last place educationally, economically etc. It makes sense that Tulane grads would want to get out of the state if they don't want to practice law in NO.

If you really like it there, and want to practice there, then go for it. I was talking with my cousin the other day (went to UM), and he said that after you get your first job, NO ONE will ask you where you went to law school. It's getting that first job that counts, and that's where I think UF has the advantage. The alumni base is so large and loyal that I think you'd have an easier time finding a job in Florida.

That being said, you already have your contacts that are based in NOLA. If that is what you want to do/who you want to work for, then you should do that.
Doin' the damn thang!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Aberzombie1892

Gold

Post by Aberzombie1892 » Fri Apr 01, 2011 3:46 pm

Scratch my other posts, as I've been in a bad mood today (for once).

OP - decide where you have ties to and where you want to practice.

I suggest that after you have done that, also consider each of the following:

1. Where graduates from each school end up practicing, employment prospects, and how much in-house competition you would face while looking for employment.

2. What the curve is for each school. This is important because many employers have 3.0 floors (Hell the person I'm working for now has a 3.0 floor). These employers extend beyond just private practice firms and into PI and government.

3. What personal considerations you have. You stated that your connection to FL was in LA. I don't know what that means, but it sounds important. Do what you think is best in this regard.

4. What programs that you would want to participate in. This is really low on the list because it is relatively unimportant. Although sometimes it can be. For example: UF has a good tax program, so if you got your JD there you could stay and get your LLM in taxation. Now, at the same time, if you get instate in LA, you are instate in FL (cool perk, huh?). Another example: Tulane is the Maritime law school, and there are advantages employment wise into pursuing that type of law.

I'm not sure about what else would matter to you. New Orleans is a pretty awesome place to live for three years, especially considering there is an endless amount of things to do. Gainesville sounds interesting, but I don't know much about it.

FeelTheHeat

Platinum

Post by FeelTheHeat » Fri Apr 01, 2011 3:47 pm

Aberzombie1892 wrote:Scratch my other posts, as I've been in a bad mood today (for once).

1. Where graduates from each school end up practicing, employment prospects, and how much in-house competition you would face while looking for employment.

2. What the curve is for each school. This is important because many employers have 3.0 floors (Hell the person I'm working for now has a 3.0 floor). These employers extend beyond just private practice firms and into PI and government.

3. What personal considerations you have. You stated that your connection to FL was in LA. I don't know what that means, but it sounds important. Do what you think is best in this regard.

4. What programs that you would want to participate in. This is really low on the list because it is relatively unimportant. Although sometimes it can be. For example: UF has a good tax program, so if you got your JD there you could stay and get your LLM in taxation. Now, at the same time, if you get instate in LA, you are instate in FL (cool perk, huh?). Another example: Tulane is the Maritime law school, and there are advantages employment wise into pursuing that type of law.

I'm not sure about what else would matter to you. New Orleans is a pretty awesome place to live for three years, especially considering there is an endless amount of things to do. Gainesville sounds interesting, but I don't know much about it.
I agree with all of this.

LSATmakesMeNeurotic

Silver

Post by LSATmakesMeNeurotic » Fri Apr 01, 2011 3:48 pm

Also, IIRC, you gave up certain schools because they were far away from family/friends/doctors...
Why relocate when the cost is the same and the two schools are relatively equal? You lose the intangibles.

Stonewall

Bronze

Post by Stonewall » Fri Apr 01, 2011 3:49 pm

UF. no real reason why -- other than my sincere love of all things SEC

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

PleaseHelpThanks

New

Post by PleaseHelpThanks » Fri Apr 01, 2011 4:10 pm

I, and many people I know, have no clue how good Tulane Law is, or even that it exists. In fact, I would have believed it was TTTT. I know that might sound dumb, but it is how the majority of America would react to hearing you went to law school there (not the case for UF). The University of Florida is on a whole other level compared to Tulane, and I don't care what the employment, or rankings, tells us (which is nothing anyway). So go to the bigger, better known/nationally recognized, just as affordable, in a better state, better sports, bigger alumni base, and BETTER EVERYTHING school!

Unless it’s for family reasons, you would have to be crazy to go T>UF, IMO.

Plus, you seem like a really nice person, and you should go to UF and chill with us cool kids.

PHT

FeelTheHeat

Platinum

Post by FeelTheHeat » Fri Apr 01, 2011 4:13 pm

PleaseHelpThanks wrote:I, and many people I know, have no clue how good Tulane Law is, or even that it exists. In fact, I would have believed it was TTTT. I know that might sound dumb, but it is how the majority of America would react to hearing you went to law school there (not the case for UF). The University of Florida is on a whole other level compared to Tulane, and I don't care what the employment, or rankings, tells us (which is nothing anyway). So go to the bigger, better known/nationally recognized, just as affordable, in a better state, better sports, bigger alumni base, and BETTER EVERYTHING school!

Plus, you seem like a really nice person, and you should go to UF and chill with us cool kids.

PHT
/facepalm

thewarflamingo

Silver

Post by thewarflamingo » Fri Apr 01, 2011 4:16 pm

add a polllllllll

Barbie

Gold

Post by Barbie » Sat Apr 02, 2011 12:30 am

PleaseHelpThanks wrote:I, and many people I know, have no clue how good Tulane Law is, or even that it exists. In fact, I would have believed it was TTTT. I know that might sound dumb, but it is how the majority of America would react to hearing you went to law school there (not the case for UF). The University of Florida is on a whole other level compared to Tulane, and I don't care what the employment, or rankings, tells us (which is nothing anyway). So go to the bigger, better known/nationally recognized, just as affordable, in a better state, better sports, bigger alumni base, and BETTER EVERYTHING school!

PHT
I don't know about Tulane being unknown. I would wager that Tulane is just as if not more known as UF in states other than Florida....

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Barbie

Gold

Post by Barbie » Sat Apr 02, 2011 12:37 am

Aberzombie1892 wrote:Scratch my other posts, as I've been in a bad mood today (for once).

Heres the thing. I don't know the answers to all these questions! Whats the curve at Tulane? My biggest connection to Florida is in New Orleans, PM me for details :). Programs- I would be more interested in the programs at Tulane than at UF. I really need to visit. Its just so rushed :(

FeelTheHeat

Platinum

Post by FeelTheHeat » Sat Apr 02, 2011 12:46 am

Barbie wrote:

PHT
I don't know about Tulane being unknown. I would wager that Tulane is just as if not more known as UF in states other than Florida....
Barbie, you put too much work into responding to that post.

ns77770

Bronze

Post by ns77770 » Sat Apr 02, 2011 12:47 am

Barbie wrote:

Heres the thing. I don't know the answers to all these questions! Whats the curve at Tulane? My biggest connection to Florida is in New Orleans, PM me for details :). Programs- I would be more interested in the programs at Tulane than at UF. I really need to visit. Its just so rushed :(
noooooooo barbie!! i mean congrats on your acceptance and money but I would hate to see you go!

Barbie

Gold

Post by Barbie » Sat Apr 02, 2011 12:53 am

poll added!!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”