Tulane vs. UF (last minute!) Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Tulane or Florida

Tulane
64%
Florida
36%

Total votes: 59

Sandro

Gold

Re: Tulane vs. UF (last minute!)

Post by Sandro » Mon Apr 04, 2011 4:06 pm

suzee401 wrote: go whereever you feel you fit in.
IMO there are no discernible differences in these schools. Even if it was a proven fact that say Tulane had 5% better placement overall - this small percentage gets made virtually irrelevant when you throw it into the context of real life.

FeelTheHeat

Platinum

Post by FeelTheHeat » Mon Apr 04, 2011 4:09 pm

Sandro's views are identical to mine

Barbie

Gold

Post by Barbie » Mon Apr 04, 2011 4:11 pm

FeelTheHeat wrote:Sandro's views are identical to mine
I get what you are saying, but "overall placement" has never really been my concern. Name recognition throughout the southeast to a degree, yes. I'm more curious about the affect of the curve difference, ability of my husband to land a job, and the school's ability to cater to my specific needs.

thewarflamingo

Silver

Post by thewarflamingo » Mon Apr 04, 2011 4:24 pm

Last edited by thewarflamingo on Thu Jan 12, 2012 8:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

suzee401

New

Post by suzee401 » Mon Apr 04, 2011 4:31 pm

Barbie wrote:
I get what you are saying, but "overall placement" has never really been my concern. Name recognition throughout the southeast to a degree, yes. I'm more curious about the affect of the curve difference, ability of my husband to land a job, and the school's ability to cater to my specific needs.

I doubt you will see much of a difference relative to curve. Name recognition is probably the same - UF alumni base though - MUCH larger (better?) I just checked 2 of my clients in Atlanta. There are 25 grads of Tulane and 32 of UF. Then I checked one here in New York and they had 6 from Tulane and 1 from UF. Anecdotal - but still worth thinking about since class sizes are similar. I don't know about your specific needs - so can't help you there. As far as jobs for your SO go - it's a crappy market no matter where you are.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Barbie

Gold

Post by Barbie » Mon Apr 04, 2011 4:41 pm

suzee401 wrote:
Barbie wrote:

I doubt you will see much of a difference relative to curve. Name recognition is probably the same - UF alumni base though - MUCH larger (better?) I just checked 2 of my clients in Atlanta. There are 25 grads of Tulane and 32 of UF. Then I checked one here in New York and they had 6 from Tulane and 1 from UF. Anecdotal - but still worth thinking about since class sizes are similar. I don't know about your specific needs - so can't help you there. As far as jobs for your SO go - it's a crappy market no matter where you are.
Crappy market all over doesn't change the differences between New Orleans' opportunities vs. Gainesville's. From what I've found, Gainesville has almost nothing. We are going to explore what New Orleans has to offer, and from what I hear there are at least more business opportunities but we'll see. On our visit next week he's going to talk to some people. I hope it works out in Gville because I <3 UF and <3 how close it is to my family... but if it turns out Tulane is a better opportunity for my husband and I I'll have to take it ... even though itll make me sad! :(

FeelTheHeat

Platinum

Post by FeelTheHeat » Mon Apr 04, 2011 5:22 pm

I think the .1 difference in curve is relatively meaningless. Others are free to disagree. I also think the placement stats speak to themselves for "name recognition". Your comfort at the school and your husband's ability to find a good job are, IMO, far and away the most relevant factors.

mcubberly

Bronze

Post by mcubberly » Mon Apr 04, 2011 6:05 pm

FeelTheHeat wrote:I think the .1 difference in curve is relatively meaningless. Others are free to disagree. I also think the placement stats speak to themselves for "name recognition". Your comfort at the school and your husband's ability to find a good job are, IMO, far and away the most relevant factors.
+1. New Orleans is definitely different from everywhere else, in good and bad ways. See how you like it when you visit.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”