Tulane vs. UF (last minute!)

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Tulane or Florida

Tulane
38
64%
Florida
21
36%
 
Total votes: 59

User avatar
Barbie
Posts: 3746
Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:51 pm

Tulane vs. UF (last minute!)

Postby Barbie » Fri Apr 01, 2011 2:28 pm

Which one is better for general work in the south? (As in Miss, Bama, LA, GA, SC, NC, FL, Tenn)?

I know I've made 100 of these, but I thought Tulane dinged me a while ago. I actually was really excited about them and kind of wrote them off after they ignored me since day 1. Well, I just got my scholarship offer and acceptance that makes it the same price as UF instate. Now I have no idea what to do!

Kicker: My husband has a business degree and is seriously seeking work. I've been told NOLA will have much more opportunities than Gainesville will. Need some advice or possible links to employment stats I can compare the two?
Last edited by Barbie on Sat Apr 02, 2011 12:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
FeelTheHeat
Posts: 5203
Joined: Tue Jan 18, 2011 2:32 am

Re: Tulane vs. UF (last minute!)

Postby FeelTheHeat » Fri Apr 01, 2011 2:39 pm

I think you might need to step back for about a week and let the excitement of Tulane pass over. When it comes to a decision like this it is difficult to separate emotion and approach it logically. Tulane just accepted you, they are new, exciting, and something you didn't even think was a possibility. Hell, if I thought someone didn't want me and then swooped in not only accepting me but throwing money as well, it would be overwhelming compared to my old choice I was set on.

You HAVE to visit (but not right after your wedding ;), get a good idea on where you want to be after graduation (I've yet to see evidence that either school is truly regional like you are looking for, but that is strictly from TLS wisdom), be comfortable where you choose.

User avatar
Aberzombie1892
Posts: 1907
Joined: Sun Mar 29, 2009 10:56 am

Re: Tulane vs. UF (last minute!)

Postby Aberzombie1892 » Fri Apr 01, 2011 2:47 pm

x
Last edited by Aberzombie1892 on Fri Apr 01, 2011 3:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Barbie
Posts: 3746
Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:51 pm

Re: Tulane vs. UF (last minute!)

Postby Barbie » Fri Apr 01, 2011 2:55 pm

Aberzombie1892 wrote:Where do you have ties to?

From what I have seen and heard,

1. If they are at the same price and
2. you don't really really want to be in FL (or have ties to FL, whatever it may be),

Tulane.

You chances securing legal employment are higher at Tulane. Period.



Ironically my biggest tie to the FL legal market is also in NOLA... so that evens out. Thanks for your input. I wish I could see stats for legal employment for both. What is your reference if you dont mind?

User avatar
FeelTheHeat
Posts: 5203
Joined: Tue Jan 18, 2011 2:32 am

Re: Tulane vs. UF (last minute!)

Postby FeelTheHeat » Fri Apr 01, 2011 2:56 pm

--ImageRemoved--

Employment prospects look nearly identical to to me. Such a negligible difference renders them meaningless.

JakeL
Posts: 453
Joined: Sat Jun 26, 2010 10:30 pm

Re: Tulane vs. UF (last minute!)

Postby JakeL » Fri Apr 01, 2011 3:12 pm

Tulane sounds cooler.

User avatar
mcubberly
Posts: 212
Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2010 4:44 pm

Re: Tulane vs. UF (last minute!)

Postby mcubberly » Fri Apr 01, 2011 3:14 pm

NOLA's probably a better place to find MBA-type work. There's some banking stuff here (Chase, etc).

User avatar
Aberzombie1892
Posts: 1907
Joined: Sun Mar 29, 2009 10:56 am

Re: Tulane vs. UF (last minute!)

Postby Aberzombie1892 » Fri Apr 01, 2011 3:23 pm

x
Last edited by Aberzombie1892 on Fri Apr 01, 2011 3:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Knock
Posts: 5152
Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2009 3:09 pm

Re: Tulane vs. UF (last minute!)

Postby Knock » Fri Apr 01, 2011 3:27 pm

You need a poll.

User avatar
FeelTheHeat
Posts: 5203
Joined: Tue Jan 18, 2011 2:32 am

Re: Tulane vs. UF (last minute!)

Postby FeelTheHeat » Fri Apr 01, 2011 3:30 pm

Aberzombie1892 wrote:What is that chart supposed to show? Their "similarity?" Every law school places 50+% of their class in law firms. So I don't get your point.

Let's go down the list of what the OP should consider:
1. Which school has a better curve (which has been shown to affect employment outcomes)?
Tulane.
2. At which school with OP have less in-house competition for local and out of state jobs?
Tulane.
3. Which school is cheaper?
Neither.
4. Which school places better in OP's desired region?
I'm not sure about UF, but my class has done well in the southeast. From what I understand, UF students are fortunate to get out of state period.

I really don't know what else really should come into play without knowing the OP's interests. But by looking at the above, I know which school I would pick.


I know! Let's disregard statistics and facts because I really don't think they matter and just apply my vague anectodal (and as of now baseless) evidence about competition and placing well throughout the southeast!

You go to Tulane and so it is difficult to be objective. I get it. I am doing the same thing with UF. But when subjectivity is likely to be swayed by personal feelings towards a school, present facts and statistics instead of just dismissing them outright.

User avatar
FeelTheHeat
Posts: 5203
Joined: Tue Jan 18, 2011 2:32 am

Re: Tulane vs. UF (last minute!)

Postby FeelTheHeat » Fri Apr 01, 2011 3:40 pm

No. I haven't seen evidence of it, but it makes enough sense to take you at your word for it.

Demonstrate the other claims you make. Going off the aforementioned graph, along with lawschooltransparency, there is little to no difference between the two schools. If you just want to say bullshit and that the numbers are made up, fine. But come with something other than "my class is doing well and places throughout the southeast." If I went to Tulane, I'd still have a job in Miami because of connections I've established. Look, mobility!

My larger point is that the difference between the two schools in negligible at best. Therefore, it is in her best interests to visit the school and make a decision based on comfort level and each and other personal factors (i.e. husband's job, which is a substantial one). Those should come before any perceived statistical difference between the two schools, according to my research.

Edit: The post I was replying to was deleted. My general point remains.
Last edited by FeelTheHeat on Fri Apr 01, 2011 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
LSATmakesMeNeurotic
Posts: 941
Joined: Sat Jun 26, 2010 9:17 am

Re: Tulane vs. UF (last minute!)

Postby LSATmakesMeNeurotic » Fri Apr 01, 2011 3:42 pm

I think that a majority of UF grads stay in-state due to the difficult nature of the Florida Bar. Those in Florida obviously have an advantage, and why wouldn't they exploit that advantage? I don't think it is because they can't find jobs out of state.

New Orleans is a fantastic city from what I hear. But the rest of the state is consistently placed near last place educationally, economically etc. It makes sense that Tulane grads would want to get out of the state if they don't want to practice law in NO.

If you really like it there, and want to practice there, then go for it. I was talking with my cousin the other day (went to UM), and he said that after you get your first job, NO ONE will ask you where you went to law school. It's getting that first job that counts, and that's where I think UF has the advantage. The alumni base is so large and loyal that I think you'd have an easier time finding a job in Florida.

That being said, you already have your contacts that are based in NOLA. If that is what you want to do/who you want to work for, then you should do that.

User avatar
FeelTheHeat
Posts: 5203
Joined: Tue Jan 18, 2011 2:32 am

Re: Tulane vs. UF (last minute!)

Postby FeelTheHeat » Fri Apr 01, 2011 3:43 pm

LSATmakesMeNeurotic wrote:I think that a majority of UF grads stay in-state due to the difficult nature of the Florida Bar. Those in Florida obviously have an advantage, and why wouldn't they exploit that advantage? I don't think it is because they can't find jobs out of state.

New Orleans is a fantastic city from what I hear. But the rest of the state is consistently placed near last place educationally, economically etc. It makes sense that Tulane grads would want to get out of the state if they don't want to practice law in NO.

If you really like it there, and want to practice there, then go for it. I was talking with my cousin the other day (went to UM), and he said that after you get your first job, NO ONE will ask you where you went to law school. It's getting that first job that counts, and that's where I think UF has the advantage. The alumni base is so large and loyal that I think you'd have an easier time finding a job in Florida.

That being said, you already have your contacts that are based in NOLA. If that is what you want to do/who you want to work for, then you should do that.


Doin' the damn thang!

User avatar
Aberzombie1892
Posts: 1907
Joined: Sun Mar 29, 2009 10:56 am

Re: Tulane vs. UF (last minute!)

Postby Aberzombie1892 » Fri Apr 01, 2011 3:46 pm

Scratch my other posts, as I've been in a bad mood today (for once).

OP - decide where you have ties to and where you want to practice.

I suggest that after you have done that, also consider each of the following:

1. Where graduates from each school end up practicing, employment prospects, and how much in-house competition you would face while looking for employment.

2. What the curve is for each school. This is important because many employers have 3.0 floors (Hell the person I'm working for now has a 3.0 floor). These employers extend beyond just private practice firms and into PI and government.

3. What personal considerations you have. You stated that your connection to FL was in LA. I don't know what that means, but it sounds important. Do what you think is best in this regard.

4. What programs that you would want to participate in. This is really low on the list because it is relatively unimportant. Although sometimes it can be. For example: UF has a good tax program, so if you got your JD there you could stay and get your LLM in taxation. Now, at the same time, if you get instate in LA, you are instate in FL (cool perk, huh?). Another example: Tulane is the Maritime law school, and there are advantages employment wise into pursuing that type of law.

I'm not sure about what else would matter to you. New Orleans is a pretty awesome place to live for three years, especially considering there is an endless amount of things to do. Gainesville sounds interesting, but I don't know much about it.

User avatar
FeelTheHeat
Posts: 5203
Joined: Tue Jan 18, 2011 2:32 am

Re: Tulane vs. UF (last minute!)

Postby FeelTheHeat » Fri Apr 01, 2011 3:47 pm

Aberzombie1892 wrote:Scratch my other posts, as I've been in a bad mood today (for once).

OP - decide where you have ties to and where you want to practice.

I suggest that after you have done that, also consider each of the following:

1. Where graduates from each school end up practicing, employment prospects, and how much in-house competition you would face while looking for employment.

2. What the curve is for each school. This is important because many employers have 3.0 floors (Hell the person I'm working for now has a 3.0 floor). These employers extend beyond just private practice firms and into PI and government.

3. What personal considerations you have. You stated that your connection to FL was in LA. I don't know what that means, but it sounds important. Do what you think is best in this regard.

4. What programs that you would want to participate in. This is really low on the list because it is relatively unimportant. Although sometimes it can be. For example: UF has a good tax program, so if you got your JD there you could stay and get your LLM in taxation. Now, at the same time, if you get instate in LA, you are instate in FL (cool perk, huh?). Another example: Tulane is the Maritime law school, and there are advantages employment wise into pursuing that type of law.

I'm not sure about what else would matter to you. New Orleans is a pretty awesome place to live for three years, especially considering there is an endless amount of things to do. Gainesville sounds interesting, but I don't know much about it.


I agree with all of this.

User avatar
LSATmakesMeNeurotic
Posts: 941
Joined: Sat Jun 26, 2010 9:17 am

Re: Tulane vs. UF (last minute!)

Postby LSATmakesMeNeurotic » Fri Apr 01, 2011 3:48 pm

Also, IIRC, you gave up certain schools because they were far away from family/friends/doctors...
Why relocate when the cost is the same and the two schools are relatively equal? You lose the intangibles.

User avatar
Stonewall
Posts: 392
Joined: Thu Jan 27, 2011 1:19 am

Re: Tulane vs. UF (last minute!)

Postby Stonewall » Fri Apr 01, 2011 3:49 pm

UF. no real reason why -- other than my sincere love of all things SEC

PleaseHelpThanks
Posts: 85
Joined: Sun Mar 06, 2011 10:05 pm

Re: Tulane vs. UF (last minute!)

Postby PleaseHelpThanks » Fri Apr 01, 2011 4:10 pm

I, and many people I know, have no clue how good Tulane Law is, or even that it exists. In fact, I would have believed it was TTTT. I know that might sound dumb, but it is how the majority of America would react to hearing you went to law school there (not the case for UF). The University of Florida is on a whole other level compared to Tulane, and I don't care what the employment, or rankings, tells us (which is nothing anyway). So go to the bigger, better known/nationally recognized, just as affordable, in a better state, better sports, bigger alumni base, and BETTER EVERYTHING school!

Unless it’s for family reasons, you would have to be crazy to go T>UF, IMO.

Plus, you seem like a really nice person, and you should go to UF and chill with us cool kids.

PHT

User avatar
FeelTheHeat
Posts: 5203
Joined: Tue Jan 18, 2011 2:32 am

Re: Tulane vs. UF (last minute!)

Postby FeelTheHeat » Fri Apr 01, 2011 4:13 pm

PleaseHelpThanks wrote:I, and many people I know, have no clue how good Tulane Law is, or even that it exists. In fact, I would have believed it was TTTT. I know that might sound dumb, but it is how the majority of America would react to hearing you went to law school there (not the case for UF). The University of Florida is on a whole other level compared to Tulane, and I don't care what the employment, or rankings, tells us (which is nothing anyway). So go to the bigger, better known/nationally recognized, just as affordable, in a better state, better sports, bigger alumni base, and BETTER EVERYTHING school!

Unless it’s for family reasons, you would have to be crazy to go T>UF, IMO.

Plus, you seem like a really nice person, and you should go to UF and chill with us cool kids.

PHT


/facepalm

thewarflamingo
Posts: 939
Joined: Tue Aug 25, 2009 12:27 pm

Re: Tulane vs. UF (last minute!)

Postby thewarflamingo » Fri Apr 01, 2011 4:16 pm

add a polllllllll

User avatar
Barbie
Posts: 3746
Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:51 pm

Re: Tulane vs. UF (last minute!)

Postby Barbie » Sat Apr 02, 2011 12:30 am

PleaseHelpThanks wrote:I, and many people I know, have no clue how good Tulane Law is, or even that it exists. In fact, I would have believed it was TTTT. I know that might sound dumb, but it is how the majority of America would react to hearing you went to law school there (not the case for UF). The University of Florida is on a whole other level compared to Tulane, and I don't care what the employment, or rankings, tells us (which is nothing anyway). So go to the bigger, better known/nationally recognized, just as affordable, in a better state, better sports, bigger alumni base, and BETTER EVERYTHING school!

Unless it’s for family reasons, you would have to be crazy to go T>UF, IMO.

Plus, you seem like a really nice person, and you should go to UF and chill with us cool kids.

PHT


I don't know about Tulane being unknown. I would wager that Tulane is just as if not more known as UF in states other than Florida....

User avatar
Barbie
Posts: 3746
Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:51 pm

Re: Tulane vs. UF (last minute!)

Postby Barbie » Sat Apr 02, 2011 12:37 am

Aberzombie1892 wrote:Scratch my other posts, as I've been in a bad mood today (for once).

OP - decide where you have ties to and where you want to practice.

I suggest that after you have done that, also consider each of the following:

1. Where graduates from each school end up practicing, employment prospects, and how much in-house competition you would face while looking for employment.

2. What the curve is for each school. This is important because many employers have 3.0 floors (Hell the person I'm working for now has a 3.0 floor). These employers extend beyond just private practice firms and into PI and government.

3. What personal considerations you have. You stated that your connection to FL was in LA. I don't know what that means, but it sounds important. Do what you think is best in this regard.

4. What programs that you would want to participate in. This is really low on the list because it is relatively unimportant. Although sometimes it can be. For example: UF has a good tax program, so if you got your JD there you could stay and get your LLM in taxation. Now, at the same time, if you get instate in LA, you are instate in FL (cool perk, huh?). Another example: Tulane is the Maritime law school, and there are advantages employment wise into pursuing that type of law.

I'm not sure about what else would matter to you. New Orleans is a pretty awesome place to live for three years, especially considering there is an endless amount of things to do. Gainesville sounds interesting, but I don't know much about it.


Heres the thing. I don't know the answers to all these questions! Whats the curve at Tulane? My biggest connection to Florida is in New Orleans, PM me for details :). Programs- I would be more interested in the programs at Tulane than at UF. I really need to visit. Its just so rushed :(

User avatar
FeelTheHeat
Posts: 5203
Joined: Tue Jan 18, 2011 2:32 am

Re: Tulane vs. UF (last minute!)

Postby FeelTheHeat » Sat Apr 02, 2011 12:46 am

Barbie wrote:
PleaseHelpThanks wrote:I, and many people I know, have no clue how good Tulane Law is, or even that it exists. In fact, I would have believed it was TTTT. I know that might sound dumb, but it is how the majority of America would react to hearing you went to law school there (not the case for UF). The University of Florida is on a whole other level compared to Tulane, and I don't care what the employment, or rankings, tells us (which is nothing anyway). So go to the bigger, better known/nationally recognized, just as affordable, in a better state, better sports, bigger alumni base, and BETTER EVERYTHING school!

Unless it’s for family reasons, you would have to be crazy to go T>UF, IMO.

Plus, you seem like a really nice person, and you should go to UF and chill with us cool kids.

PHT


I don't know about Tulane being unknown. I would wager that Tulane is just as if not more known as UF in states other than Florida....


Barbie, you put too much work into responding to that post.

ns77770
Posts: 287
Joined: Sun Aug 29, 2010 7:40 pm

Re: Tulane vs. UF (last minute!)

Postby ns77770 » Sat Apr 02, 2011 12:47 am

Barbie wrote:
Aberzombie1892 wrote:Scratch my other posts, as I've been in a bad mood today (for once).

OP - decide where you have ties to and where you want to practice.

I suggest that after you have done that, also consider each of the following:

1. Where graduates from each school end up practicing, employment prospects, and how much in-house competition you would face while looking for employment.

2. What the curve is for each school. This is important because many employers have 3.0 floors (Hell the person I'm working for now has a 3.0 floor). These employers extend beyond just private practice firms and into PI and government.

3. What personal considerations you have. You stated that your connection to FL was in LA. I don't know what that means, but it sounds important. Do what you think is best in this regard.

4. What programs that you would want to participate in. This is really low on the list because it is relatively unimportant. Although sometimes it can be. For example: UF has a good tax program, so if you got your JD there you could stay and get your LLM in taxation. Now, at the same time, if you get instate in LA, you are instate in FL (cool perk, huh?). Another example: Tulane is the Maritime law school, and there are advantages employment wise into pursuing that type of law.

I'm not sure about what else would matter to you. New Orleans is a pretty awesome place to live for three years, especially considering there is an endless amount of things to do. Gainesville sounds interesting, but I don't know much about it.


Heres the thing. I don't know the answers to all these questions! Whats the curve at Tulane? My biggest connection to Florida is in New Orleans, PM me for details :). Programs- I would be more interested in the programs at Tulane than at UF. I really need to visit. Its just so rushed :(


noooooooo barbie!! i mean congrats on your acceptance and money but I would hate to see you go!

User avatar
Barbie
Posts: 3746
Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:51 pm

Re: Tulane vs. UF (last minute!)

Postby Barbie » Sat Apr 02, 2011 12:53 am

poll added!!




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Socratease and 7 guests