Cornell ($$) or GULC ($)

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
wiseguy33

Cornell ($$) or GULC ($)

Postby wiseguy33 » Fri Apr 01, 2011 1:50 am

75K at Cornell vs. 15K (lame) @ GULC. Total over 3 years.

Considerations:
Shooting for BigLaw, though it's a crapshoot, I know.
Would like national placement.
Interested in academia in the future.
International prestige?
Love city life.
Have never lived through a real winter. Do not have snow boots. Do not own a parka. <--Really freaking out about this, but maybe it's not that big a deal?

Thoughts?

NikaneOkie

Re: Cornell ($$) or GULC ($)

Postby NikaneOkie » Fri Apr 01, 2011 1:52 am

wiseguy33 wrote:75K at Cornell vs. 15K (lame) @ GULC. Total over 3 years.

Considerations:
Shooting for BigLaw, though it's a crapshoot, I know.
Would like national placement.
Interested in academia in the future.
International prestige?
Love city life.
Have never lived through a real winter. Do not have snow boots. Do not own a parka. <--Really freaking out about this, but maybe it's not that big a deal?

Thoughts?

I really think that every single one of these things except for you love of city life points to Cornell
It's three years. Ithaca probably wont' kill you, and it's great for BigLaw, has great international prestige, and it's nice to have one life experience with some real weather.

YaSvoboden

Postby YaSvoboden » Fri Apr 01, 2011 4:20 am

I grew up in San Diego then I spent a couple years in Siberia. I understand being intimidated by the weather of a place, but people live there, you'll be fine. You may not like having an actual winter, but I personally learned to like walking outside on a cool day and breathing in some crisp air.

Some have a hard time with it, but I would say put the weather consideration last on your list. Other than the basic look at placement numbers and minimize debt when possible, I can't really add anything else.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Fri Apr 01, 2011 4:27 am

Follow the money. These schools are roughly comparable. While Cornell may place a bit more in biglaw, GULC does tend to place a bit more in PI/gov so I don't think Cornell actually has an appreciable edge. Both can get you "national placement" and by that I mean they will get you NYC, DC (with good grades), and wherever you have ties. Neither has anything more than a slim chance at getting you academia. International prestige shouldn't be a consideration but maybe Cornell because they are Ivy?

In the end, follow the money even though you'd rather have a city and warm weather. Look at it like they are you are getting paid $60k to live in Ithica. Cornell is hands down the right call here.

wiseguy33

Postby wiseguy33 » Fri Apr 01, 2011 2:27 pm

Alright, guess I'm just being a huge pansy re: weather/location. Everyone's voting Cornell. Maybe boring location will = more time to study?

bk1

Postby bk1 » Fri Apr 01, 2011 2:29 pm

wiseguy33 wrote:Alright, guess I'm just being a huge pansy re: weather/location. Everyone's voting Cornell. Maybe boring location will = more time to study?

As I said, if someone paid you 20k/year to live in some place you didn't like, would you do it?

dpk711

Postby dpk711 » Fri Apr 01, 2011 2:34 pm

Enjoy Cornell

Return to “Choosing a Law School”