Viable Option?!? Need Help!

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
ultrafl1ght
Posts: 25
Joined: Tue Mar 09, 2010 11:17 pm

Viable Option?!? Need Help!

Postby ultrafl1ght » Thu Mar 31, 2011 9:34 pm

I'm kind of in a dilemma, I screwed up this year's cycle with late apps and low LSAT score (160) but still managed to get accepted into one T30 school. I believe I could put some serious study time into the June LSAT to be prepared for next year's cycle when apps begin to be accepted. Unfortunately, friends and mainly family do not believe my fortune will change and have suggested I take what I got especially because I have no plans for the year I would be taking off.

One suggestion I was given was to study for the LSAT and reapply in next year's cycle and while I wait to hear back next year, I could attend the T30 school as a 1L. I.O.W. if I were to be accepted, I would be restarting as a 1L at a dream T10/T14 school and if things don't work out, I'd continue on as a 2L. I know it sounds stupid, but I am very risk averse and was wondering if this would be a viable option? Thanks for your input.

towkthi
Posts: 56
Joined: Sat Mar 13, 2010 2:49 pm

Re: Viable Option?!? Need Help!

Postby towkthi » Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:28 pm

ultrafl1ght wrote:I'm kind of in a dilemma, I screwed up this year's cycle with late apps and low LSAT score (160) but still managed to get accepted into one T30 school. I believe I could put some serious study time into the June LSAT to be prepared for next year's cycle when apps begin to be accepted. Unfortunately, friends and mainly family do not believe my fortune will change and have suggested I take what I got especially because I have no plans for the year I would be taking off.

One suggestion I was given was to study for the LSAT and reapply in next year's cycle and while I wait to hear back next year, I could attend the T30 school as a 1L. I.O.W. if I were to be accepted, I would be restarting as a 1L at a dream T10/T14 school and if things don't work out, I'd continue on as a 2L. I know it sounds stupid, but I am very risk averse and was wondering if this would be a viable option? Thanks for your input.


uhhh that sounds like a crazy counterproductive idea

if you know you can study more for the LSAT then take the time off and study every waking moment and apply next cycle, it seems like you are certain you can do better so don't listen to your family listen to yourself

User avatar
ArchRoark
Posts: 1000
Joined: Sat Jul 03, 2010 2:53 pm

Re: Viable Option?!? Need Help!

Postby ArchRoark » Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:31 pm

Schools ask if you have ever matriculated at another law school. Mentioning that you are currently enrolled at a T30 and plan to "restart" again as a 1L would most likely lead to auto-dings. They would all expect you just to finish your 1L and, if with good enough grades, attempt to transfer.

If you do not have a sizable scholarship at the T30, take the year off, study hard for the LSAT, and reapply next year. Travel or work during the off-year. What is your GPA?
Last edited by ArchRoark on Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Moxie
Posts: 665
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2009 3:27 pm

Re: Viable Option?!? Need Help!

Postby Moxie » Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:31 pm

If you can find something do in the off-year, than retaking could be helpful. But if the alternative is sitting around for a year, you might as well just go to school in the fall.

ultrafl1ght
Posts: 25
Joined: Tue Mar 09, 2010 11:17 pm

Re: Viable Option?!? Need Help!

Postby ultrafl1ght » Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:43 pm

Thanks for the replies. @ArchRoark my LSAC GPA is 3.56, so I feel I'd have to be aiming for 172+ to have a chance at a T10. What are some job ideas that would work for a 1 year period and look good on law school apps? (economics major)

User avatar
JamMasterJ
Posts: 6688
Joined: Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:17 pm

Re: Viable Option?!? Need Help!

Postby JamMasterJ » Fri Apr 01, 2011 12:41 am

I would say that the safest option is to pay your seat deposits until the test. If you score a bit higher, pull your app and get to work on next cycle. If you don't break 166 or so, go to the school you're in at.

justhockey31
Posts: 312
Joined: Tue Jul 27, 2010 8:35 pm

Re: Viable Option?!? Need Help!

Postby justhockey31 » Fri Apr 01, 2011 12:47 am

Not sure about this but are you able to defer the acceptance and then apply to schools next cycle? (Could someone please let me know if this is allowed)




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Christinabruin, Screech Owl, Yahoo [Bot] and 4 guests