NYU Sticker or Michigan with $18k/year

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

NYU vs Mich

NYU(sticker)
29%
Mich($18k/year)
71%

Total votes: 34

jpinjuv

NYU Sticker or Michigan with $18k/year

Postby jpinjuv » Thu Mar 31, 2011 6:30 pm

Should I be considering NYU at sticker? Or save myself the $54k (plus cost of living savings) and go to Mich. I have no ties to New York and I don't necessarily want to work on the east coast. And Ann Arbor actually looks like a pretty cool place. Anybody have reasons why NYU may still be a viable option? Would love to hear them. Thanks!

BrightLine

Re: NYU Sticker or Michigan with $18k/year

Postby BrightLine » Thu Mar 31, 2011 9:13 pm

jpinjuv wrote:Should I be considering NYU at sticker? Or save myself the $54k (plus cost of living savings) and go to Mich. I have no ties to New York and I don't necessarily want to work on the east coast. And Ann Arbor actually looks like a pretty cool place. Anybody have reasons why NYU may still be a viable option? Would love to hear them. Thanks!

NYC biglaw would be a reason, but it doesn't seem to be your interest

Moxie

Postby Moxie » Thu Mar 31, 2011 9:17 pm

I'm torn here, but I think I'd recommend Michigan, as the cost will be at least $70k cheaper (accounting for Cost of Attendance and Financial Aid).

While NYU offers better odds for NYC Biglaw, Michigan equals NYU's placement in almost every other market.

nerdherder

Postby nerdherder » Thu Mar 31, 2011 11:14 pm

I'm in the exact same boat and completely torn so I have nothing to offer now, but I'm following this!

Lawlcat

Postby Lawlcat » Thu Mar 31, 2011 11:15 pm

As strange as it might sound, I'd say to go on "feel". People here are pretty hardcore into "CCN" vs. "MVP", but as far as I can tell they're very similar schools in terms of placement power and most other objective measures. (Speaking of, I have the article III info now and will try to post up updated placement numbers tomorrow.) Your post suggests (somewhat) to me that you like Michigan and are trying to justify going to a "lower-ranked" school. Based on that, go to Michigan. The money makes the choice easier.

But yeah. I don't think you should feel either choice would be stupid. FOLLOW YOUR HEART.

tamlyric

Postby tamlyric » Thu Mar 31, 2011 11:17 pm

What Lawlcat said, srsly.

BeachandRun23

Postby BeachandRun23 » Thu Mar 31, 2011 11:21 pm

If you dont want NYC biglaw and you dont want to live in NYC during law school then you're not really interested in 2 of NYU's biggest selling points. Add in the money and I dont think there is a wrong choice here.
Last edited by BeachandRun23 on Thu Mar 31, 2011 11:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BruceWayne

Postby BruceWayne » Thu Mar 31, 2011 11:21 pm

FYI you don't need ties to NYC to work there. So don't let that factor into your decision. If anything Michigan will open up more "tie" focused markets for you than NYU will. You may be able to make a legit argument that you have an interest in working in Chicago coming from Michigan for example.

Also keep in mind that sticker at any top 14 is a ton of money. Add to sticker the COL of the most expensive place in America and you're talking some seriously soul crushing debt.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”