Temple Law or Villanova Law

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Temple or Villanova

Temple
49
67%
Villanova
24
33%
 
Total votes: 73

LSATclincher
Posts: 476
Joined: Mon Nov 30, 2009 12:09 pm

Re: Temple Law or Villanova Law

Postby LSATclincher » Sun Apr 10, 2011 4:43 pm

beach_terror wrote:
LSATclincher wrote:Of course, since I'm likely attending Temple in the Fall, I'll cite Nova's recent unethical practices as one reason Temple trumps Nova (at least currently). In a year or two, the scandal will be meaningless.

If you change the above to "the scandal is currently meaningless" then I'll agree with your statement.


No way. Meaningless is a strong word, and Nova's drop in rankings will affect "outsiders" perspective right now, in terms of attendance. An uneducated student will choose Temple over Nova for this reason. I've spoken with a few of Temple's admissions people through a few fortunate circumstances, and they have surprisingly played down the situation almost to the point where I inferred Temple's stats "could" be skewed. But that's a topic I do not wish to address in a public forum.

Ultimately, I'm not arguing with you here. By the time we all graduate, Temple and Nova will be equal, with the most "normal" students obtaining the jobs in Philly.

HeavenWood
Posts: 2915
Joined: Wed Jul 28, 2010 6:42 pm

Re: Temple Law or Villanova Law

Postby HeavenWood » Sun Apr 10, 2011 4:48 pm

LSATclincher wrote:
beach_terror wrote:
LSATclincher wrote:Of course, since I'm likely attending Temple in the Fall, I'll cite Nova's recent unethical practices as one reason Temple trumps Nova (at least currently). In a year or two, the scandal will be meaningless.

If you change the above to "the scandal is currently meaningless" then I'll agree with your statement.


No way. Meaningless is a strong word, and Nova's drop in rankings will affect "outsiders" perspective right now, in terms of attendance. An uneducated student will choose Temple over Nova for this reason. I've spoken with a few of Temple's admissions people through a few fortunate circumstances, and they have surprisingly played down the situation almost to the point where I inferred Temple's stats "could" be skewed. But that's a topic I do not wish to address in a public forum.

Ultimately, I'm not arguing with you here. By the time we all graduate, Temple and Nova will be equal, with the most "normal" students obtaining the jobs in Philly.


Since you yourself state that the scandal will be meaningless (outside reputation-wise) in a year or two, and the vast majority of local employers will not change their hiring practices based on the scandal (local reputation-wise), why would the scandal even be meaningful now?

LSATclincher
Posts: 476
Joined: Mon Nov 30, 2009 12:09 pm

Re: Temple Law or Villanova Law

Postby LSATclincher » Sun Apr 10, 2011 4:49 pm

HeavenWood wrote:
beach_terror wrote:
LSATclincher wrote:Of course, since I'm likely attending Temple in the Fall, I'll cite Nova's recent unethical practices as one reason Temple trumps Nova (at least currently). In a year or two, the scandal will be meaningless.

If you change the above to "the scandal is currently meaningless" then I'll agree with your statement.


ITT Temple trolls pretend that local firms actually give two shits about the "scandal."


Haha. I wish I didn't add this comment. I forgot about the stigma of an online forum. Overall, I think law school is a joke. Success as an
attorney depends upon business skills, social skills, connections, and luck. I realize online forums overemphasis the posts of others. But that is not the discussion I want to have.

My main point is that Temple=Nova (with cost being the ultimate factor).

HeavenWood
Posts: 2915
Joined: Wed Jul 28, 2010 6:42 pm

Re: Temple Law or Villanova Law

Postby HeavenWood » Sun Apr 10, 2011 4:51 pm

LSATclincher wrote:Haha. I wish I didn't add this comment. I forgot about the stigma of an online forum. Overall, I think law school is a joke. Success as an attorney depends upon business skills, social skills, connections, and luck. I realize online forums overemphasis the posts of others. But that is not the discussion I want to have.

My main point is that Temple=Nova (with cost being the ultimate factor).


I happen to completely agree with the bolded. As for your other statements... :roll:

LSATclincher
Posts: 476
Joined: Mon Nov 30, 2009 12:09 pm

Re: Temple Law or Villanova Law

Postby LSATclincher » Sun Apr 10, 2011 4:51 pm

HeavenWood wrote:
LSATclincher wrote:
beach_terror wrote:
LSATclincher wrote:Of course, since I'm likely attending Temple in the Fall, I'll cite Nova's recent unethical practices as one reason Temple trumps Nova (at least currently). In a year or two, the scandal will be meaningless.

If you change the above to "the scandal is currently meaningless" then I'll agree with your statement.


No way. Meaningless is a strong word, and Nova's drop in rankings will affect "outsiders" perspective right now, in terms of attendance. An uneducated student will choose Temple over Nova for this reason. I've spoken with a few of Temple's admissions people through a few fortunate circumstances, and they have surprisingly played down the situation almost to the point where I inferred Temple's stats "could" be skewed. But that's a topic I do not wish to address in a public forum.

Ultimately, I'm not arguing with you here. By the time we all graduate, Temple and Nova will be equal, with the most "normal" students obtaining the jobs in Philly.


Since you yourself state that the scandal will be meaningless (outside reputation-wise) in a year or two, and the vast majority of local employers will not change their hiring practices based on the scandal (local reputation-wise), why would the scandal even be meaningful now?


I think the scandal could draw a promising applicant away from Nova and towards Temple. My argument was that "meaningless" is a strong word. The scandal will affect the choices of at least some current applicants.

HeavenWood
Posts: 2915
Joined: Wed Jul 28, 2010 6:42 pm

Re: Temple Law or Villanova Law

Postby HeavenWood » Sun Apr 10, 2011 4:52 pm

LSATclincher wrote:I think the scandal could draw a promising applicant away from Nova and towards Temple. My argument was that "meaningless" is a strong word. The scandal will affect the choices of at least some current applicants.


I agree with this. But I don't agree that employers will care.

LSATclincher
Posts: 476
Joined: Mon Nov 30, 2009 12:09 pm

Re: Temple Law or Villanova Law

Postby LSATclincher » Sun Apr 10, 2011 4:58 pm

HeavenWood wrote:
LSATclincher wrote:I think the scandal could draw a promising applicant away from Nova and towards Temple. My argument was that "meaningless" is a strong word. The scandal will affect the choices of at least some current applicants.


I agree with this. But I don't agree that employers will care.


O yea. I never said anything about employers. I work for one mid-sized law firm, but that firm was founded by a guy who came from s*it, so he hires based upon different factors. Again, I stand by what I said about being a decent attorney. By the time I graduate, Nova/Temple will have the same employment prospects. Certain people will succeed, others will fail. I could discuss this forever in PM, but I rather not state my full opinions on TLS for obvious reasons.

PM me if you want to chat.

User avatar
beach_terror
Posts: 7249
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2009 10:01 pm

Re: Temple Law or Villanova Law

Postby beach_terror » Sun Apr 10, 2011 5:05 pm

LSATclincher wrote:
HeavenWood wrote:
LSATclincher wrote:I think the scandal could draw a promising applicant away from Nova and towards Temple. My argument was that "meaningless" is a strong word. The scandal will affect the choices of at least some current applicants.


I agree with this. But I don't agree that employers will care.


O yea. I never said anything about employers. I work for one mid-sized law firm, but that firm was founded by a guy who came from s*it, so he hires based upon different factors. Again, I stand by what I said about being a decent attorney. By the time I graduate, Nova/Temple will have the same employment prospects. Certain people will succeed, others will fail. I could discuss this forever in PM, but I rather not state my full opinions on TLS for obvious reasons.

PM me if you want to chat.

So what exactly is your argument then.

LSATclincher
Posts: 476
Joined: Mon Nov 30, 2009 12:09 pm

Re: Temple Law or Villanova Law

Postby LSATclincher » Sun Apr 10, 2011 5:14 pm

beach_terror wrote:
LSATclincher wrote:
HeavenWood wrote:
LSATclincher wrote:I think the scandal could draw a promising applicant away from Nova and towards Temple. My argument was that "meaningless" is a strong word. The scandal will affect the choices of at least some current applicants.


I agree with this. But I don't agree that employers will care.


O yea. I never said anything about employers. I work for one mid-sized law firm, but that firm was founded by a guy who came from s*it, so he hires based upon different factors. Again, I stand by what I said about being a decent attorney. By the time I graduate, Nova/Temple will have the same employment prospects. Certain people will succeed, others will fail. I could discuss this forever in PM, but I rather not state my full opinions on TLS for obvious reasons.

PM me if you want to chat.

So what exactly is your argument then.


My argument is that the scandal will not affect the prospects of Nova in about a year or two. It may, in fact, affect the decisions of applicants in 2011. The ultimate decision between attending Nova and Temple is based upon cost. I threw the jab at Nova in my initial post because I'll likely attend Temple this Fall. I was half-joking, but not entirely.

My final argument is that law school is a joke. Understanding people and business combined with luck will define one's path as an attorney.

JakeG3636
Posts: 23
Joined: Sun Apr 10, 2011 1:09 am

Re: Temple Law or Villanova Law

Postby JakeG3636 » Sun Apr 10, 2011 8:24 pm

You are right that I am completely biased as a Temple student, and that US News rankings between Temple, Nova and Rutgers are meaningless in the greater Philly area.

It sounds like this guy is too scared of the idea of living in North Philly, so maybe Vanilla-nova is better for him ;)

HeavenWood
Posts: 2915
Joined: Wed Jul 28, 2010 6:42 pm

Re: Temple Law or Villanova Law

Postby HeavenWood » Sun Apr 10, 2011 8:40 pm

JakeG3636 wrote:You are right that I am completely biased as a Temple student, and that US News rankings between Temple, Nova and Rutgers are meaningless in the greater Philly area.

It sounds like this guy is too scared of the idea of living in North Philly, so maybe Vanilla-nova is better for him ;)


Outside of the T17, the rankings have (at best) a rough correlation to legal placement. Temple and Villanova have been near-identical peers for years now. Sometimes Temple beats Villanova. Sometimes Villanova beats Temple. For the purposes of local hiring, it doesn't matter (ad hominem attacks against Villanova students aside).

JakeG3636
Posts: 23
Joined: Sun Apr 10, 2011 1:09 am

Re: Temple Law or Villanova Law

Postby JakeG3636 » Mon Apr 11, 2011 12:25 am

Heavenwood:

I agree 100%. Most employers will weight Temple and Villanova equally. If it is a position that is mainly trial advocacy, ie DA, public defender or litigation firm, Temple probably is slightly better, if it is a firm that does tax or corporate, Villanova might be slightly better. Alums like hiring people who went to their schools.

The advantage to Temple is simply that it's cheaper. For this student, that doesn't seem to be the case, so you're right that its an issue of where he wants to live.

I see Philly as a better place to live, as a 23-26 year old, but reasonably people can differ on that issue. There are also a lot of Nova people who live in the city, and Temple people in the burbs. My ad hominen attack on Villanova students was in jest. I have friends who go there. Its a nice campus and good school

mettasutta
Posts: 312
Joined: Thu Jan 20, 2011 12:25 am

Re: Temple Law or Villanova Law

Postby mettasutta » Mon Apr 11, 2011 9:18 am

Temple/Villanova are the BC/BU of Philadelphia--both dominate their respective regions, and although there are T14s in Philly (Penn) and Boston (Harvard), most grads from there spread out all over the country. They're peer schools by most metrics. Since the price difference is negligible, visit both campuses and decide which one would be a better "feel" for you--urban vs. suburban, Catholic vs. secular, etc. I doubt that the recent drop in rankings will drastically affect Villanova's job prospects; rankings are pretty volatile beyond T30.

GL, you can't go wrong with either, though I'd personally choose Temple.

HeavenWood
Posts: 2915
Joined: Wed Jul 28, 2010 6:42 pm

Re: Temple Law or Villanova Law

Postby HeavenWood » Mon Apr 11, 2011 12:46 pm

JakeG3636 wrote:Heavenwood:

I agree 100%. Most employers will weight Temple and Villanova equally. If it is a position that is mainly trial advocacy, ie DA, public defender or litigation firm, Temple probably is slightly better, if it is a firm that does tax or corporate, Villanova might be slightly better. Alums like hiring people who went to their schools.

The advantage to Temple is simply that it's cheaper. For this student, that doesn't seem to be the case, so you're right that its an issue of where he wants to live.

I see Philly as a better place to live, as a 23-26 year old, but reasonably people can differ on that issue. There are also a lot of Nova people who live in the city, and Temple people in the burbs. My ad hominen attack on Villanova students was in jest. I have friends who go there. Its a nice campus and good school


As someone who grew up on the Main Line, I couldn't agree more. In fact, if I had to choose between Temple and Villanova at equal cost, I'd almost surely go to Temple.

User avatar
beach_terror
Posts: 7249
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2009 10:01 pm

Re: Temple Law or Villanova Law

Postby beach_terror » Mon Apr 11, 2011 12:53 pm

HeavenWood wrote:As someone who grew up on the Main Line, I couldn't agree more. In fact, if I had to choose between Temple and Villanova at equal cost, I'd almost surely go to Temple.

Girls are so much hotter on the mainline. This should be the primary factor guiding anyone's decision. God, I love main line girls.

HeavenWood
Posts: 2915
Joined: Wed Jul 28, 2010 6:42 pm

Re: Temple Law or Villanova Law

Postby HeavenWood » Mon Apr 11, 2011 12:59 pm

beach_terror wrote:
HeavenWood wrote:As someone who grew up on the Main Line, I couldn't agree more. In fact, if I had to choose between Temple and Villanova at equal cost, I'd almost surely go to Temple.

Girls are so much hotter on the mainline. This should be the primary factor guiding anyone's decision. God, I love main line girls.


A lot of them are pretentious as fuck, though. Oh well, you'll find pretension wherever you go, and quite frankly, the bullshit you have to put up with on the Main Line is well worth its quick access to the city, rich history, high quality of life, and superb public schools. Granted, I'm not thinking about living here again until I start a family, but it's always good to plan for the future, I suppose.

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: Temple Law or Villanova Law

Postby r6_philly » Mon Apr 11, 2011 1:20 pm

HeavenWood wrote:
As someone who grew up on the Main Line, I couldn't agree more. In fact, if I had to choose between Temple and Villanova at equal cost, I'd almost surely go to Temple.


I would choose Villanova at equal cost, but I would not pay much more to go. Temple is going to be cheaper, so I would choose Temple in most cases.

And I not not like mainline girls, it pretty much dictated the direct of my love life since high school. But mainline is only 15 minutes away from center city by car, and 5 minutes from Manayunk, I think you don't have to worry about it much - you will have variety. Plus, my UG has much better looking girls than the mainline, only about 20-30 minutes away in West Chester.

User avatar
Wholigan
Posts: 763
Joined: Sat Jan 29, 2011 4:51 pm

Re: Temple Law or Villanova Law

Postby Wholigan » Mon Apr 11, 2011 1:45 pm

I can't believe this thread has sustained four pages of discussion. There have got to be ten other threads this cycle alone on Temple/Villanova or Temple/Villanova/other T2. Every one has most posters correctly stating there is no different in quality, and a couple trolls for each school citing some ridiculous evidence why theirs is better. Why not just argue over whether Weekend at Bernie's or Weekend at Bernie's 2 is better? At least it'd be more interesting.

User avatar
beach_terror
Posts: 7249
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2009 10:01 pm

Re: Temple Law or Villanova Law

Postby beach_terror » Mon Apr 11, 2011 2:23 pm

r6_philly wrote: Plus, my UG has much better looking girls than the mainline, only about 20-30 minutes away in West Chester.

Woah, I wholeheartedly disagree. While this is obviously a subjective assessment, there are absolute dimes on the mainline. They are super pretentious, but I'm not trying to date/marry anyone yet. I do know a few hot girls that go to WC though.

Also, the remainder of this thread is now focused on the attractiveness of women in the various areas in Philadelphia.

HeavenWood
Posts: 2915
Joined: Wed Jul 28, 2010 6:42 pm

Re: Temple Law or Villanova Law

Postby HeavenWood » Mon Apr 11, 2011 9:32 pm

beach_terror wrote:
r6_philly wrote: Plus, my UG has much better looking girls than the mainline, only about 20-30 minutes away in West Chester.

Woah, I wholeheartedly disagree. While this is obviously a subjective assessment, there are absolute dimes on the mainline. They are super pretentious, but I'm not trying to date/marry anyone yet. I do know a few hot girls that go to WC though.

Also, the remainder of this thread is now focused on the attractiveness of women in the various areas in Philadelphia.


Let me tell ya, man. Nothing beats Kensington. :wink:

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: Temple Law or Villanova Law

Postby r6_philly » Mon Apr 11, 2011 9:35 pm

HeavenWood wrote:Let me tell ya, man. Nothing beats Kensington. :wink:


Cheap too. :lol:

Seriously, I'd take WCU girls any day. Not as high maintenance. And a lot of them want to be teachers, very cool.

User avatar
beach_terror
Posts: 7249
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2009 10:01 pm

Re: Temple Law or Villanova Law

Postby beach_terror » Mon Apr 11, 2011 9:38 pm

r6_philly wrote:
HeavenWood wrote:Let me tell ya, man. Nothing beats Kensington. :wink:


Cheap too. :lol:

Seriously, I'd take WCU girls any day. Not as high maintenance. And a lot of them want to be teachers, very cool.

Yeah, my ex actually just graduated from there last year. She's smoking. I've actually never been to WCU. I kicked in Collegeville for undergrad :|

HeavenWood
Posts: 2915
Joined: Wed Jul 28, 2010 6:42 pm

Re: Temple Law or Villanova Law

Postby HeavenWood » Mon Apr 11, 2011 9:42 pm

beach_terror wrote:
r6_philly wrote:
HeavenWood wrote:Let me tell ya, man. Nothing beats Kensington. :wink:


Cheap too. :lol:

Seriously, I'd take WCU girls any day. Not as high maintenance. And a lot of them want to be teachers, very cool.

Yeah, my ex actually just graduated from there last year. She's smoking. I've actually never been to WCU. I kicked in Collegeville for undergrad :|


Penn girls aren't smoking hot, but there's enough cuties to make partying there a pleasant experience. Plus, you can hold a conversation with most of them.

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: Temple Law or Villanova Law

Postby r6_philly » Mon Apr 11, 2011 9:43 pm

HeavenWood wrote:
Penn girls aren't smoking hot, but there's enough cuties to make partying there a pleasant experience. Plus, you can hold a conversation with most of them.


When they want to talk to you...

User avatar
Justathought
Posts: 977
Joined: Sun Nov 21, 2010 11:16 pm

Re: Temple Law or Villanova Law

Postby Justathought » Mon Apr 11, 2011 9:44 pm

Since this thread has moved on to topics more relevant to my interests, how's Old City? I found an apartment there, and I'm going to see it on Wednesday when I visit Temple. Feel free to categorize your response in terms of female population, general feel of the neighborhood, proximity to interesting things, or any other compelling aspect of the area. The apartment I'm looking at has parking and is directly across the street from a health club. Convenience is key for me, but I know the area immediately surrounding Temple leaves a little to be desired, so I'm willing to deal with a 20 minute drive/subway commute if everything else works well. This particular apartment seems to fit the bill.




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 1 guest