BC v. BU v. Fordham v. GULC

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Perch

Re: BC v. BU v. GULC v. Fordham

Postby Perch » Mon Apr 04, 2011 7:41 am

Bumping for the new week as the cycle nears a close. I would really appreciate hearing the GULC voters' explanations to help with a decision. Thanks all.

Blindmelon

Postby Blindmelon » Mon Apr 04, 2011 11:16 am

Slevin Kelevra 2011 wrote:Keep your debt down. If you like BC better, definitely go there. As someone above said, GULC is not worth 100k (or even 50k) when it only places a few percentage points better than BC/BU.

OP, do you have a car? That could bump up the cost quite a bit with insurance/gas etc (as opposed to 60$/month for T pass). Could make BU actually cheaper - I'd run the numbers more, but would still take the cheaper of the two.

alumniguy

Postby alumniguy » Mon Apr 04, 2011 11:30 am

I thought the OP really like BC much better than BU? Anything less than 5k a year difference should NOT sway OP to chose BU over BC.

I think the real issue here is whether you gamble on GULC given that is clearly seen as a better law school than the other three choices. At 80k difference, it is a serious decision.

I'm curious as to what happens to GULC students below median. Do a lot of GULC students go into government, which skews their private practice numbers down? (Don't feel like doing the research myself). If so, then GULC may be a better investment. With that said, I don't that GULC really carries the true name recognition of a Yale or Harvard. Yes, it is a fine school. But anecdotally, I don't get the sense that GULC graduates are the moves and shakers of the legal field in the same way that very top schools are. Which would lead me to look at the entry level placement statistics more than long term prestige.

Perch

Postby Perch » Mon Apr 04, 2011 12:04 pm

Blindmelon wrote:
Slevin Kelevra 2011 wrote:Keep your debt down. If you like BC better, definitely go there. As someone above said, GULC is not worth 100k (or even 50k) when it only places a few percentage points better than BC/BU.

OP, do you have a car? That could bump up the cost quite a bit with insurance/gas etc (as opposed to 60$/month for T pass). Could make BU actually cheaper - I'd run the numbers more, but would still take the cheaper of the two.

I actually won't have a car, nor would I particularly want one. I would rely on the T (heard that is quite a statement) and have to determine where to live based upon how close it is to a proper T stop.

alumniguy

Postby alumniguy » Mon Apr 04, 2011 12:17 pm

You absolutely don't need a car in Boston at either BU or BC. Yes, there are some tradeoffs to going to BC without a car, but in my experience they were negligible. Also, if you are at all social and likeable, you can easily find someone in your section to hitch a ride with to class. In my experience BU/BC student primarily live in the exact same areas of Boston - mostly the Alston/Brighton/Brookline area that is geographically in-between BU and BC.

As mentioned, there are a ton of zip cars in Boston as well - any errands can be done easily by renting a car for $10 an hour (gas and insurance included) a few times a month.

But not having a car should not be a decision maker for anyone considering BC/BU/Fordham/GULC - they are all located in major metropolitan areas with good public transportation.

bender18

Postby bender18 » Mon Apr 04, 2011 12:23 pm

FWIW, I am in a similar situation, except I am deciding between GW w/ a 106k scholarship and GULC at sticker. And while I, like you, for a little while thought that perhaps I should just go to the best school in DC and not worry about the debt, once I realized how much money 100k+ is, especially when you consider interest, I am leaning much more in the direction of GW.

Perch

Postby Perch » Mon Apr 04, 2011 12:29 pm

bender18 wrote:FWIW, I am in a similar situation, except I am deciding between GW w/ a 106k scholarship and GULC at sticker. And while I, like you, for a little while thought that perhaps I should just go to the best school in DC and not worry about the debt, once I realized how much money 100k+ is, especially when you consider interest, I am leaning much more in the direction of GW.

you could be a sport, withdraw at GULC and tell them to let in good ole' Perchy...just kidding, congrats on being in such a formidable situation!

bender18

Postby bender18 » Wed Apr 06, 2011 5:00 pm

Perch wrote:
bender18 wrote:FWIW, I am in a similar situation, except I am deciding between GW w/ a 106k scholarship and GULC at sticker. And while I, like you, for a little while thought that perhaps I should just go to the best school in DC and not worry about the debt, once I realized how much money 100k+ is, especially when you consider interest, I am leaning much more in the direction of GW.

you could be a sport, withdraw at GULC and tell them to let in good ole' Perchy...just kidding, congrats on being in such a formidable situation!

Thanks! It's nice to have the option, now just have to make the decision. :)

Perch

Postby Perch » Thu Apr 07, 2011 12:39 pm

one last bump, looking for more opinions/votes. thanks, it's been very helpful.

Slevin Kelevra 2011

Postby Slevin Kelevra 2011 » Thu Apr 07, 2011 2:40 pm

GULC unless debt averse, then BC.

coldshoulder

Postby coldshoulder » Thu Apr 07, 2011 3:10 pm

Can I ask what your numbers are? Many of these are my desired schools as well.
BC/BU. GULC isn't worth the cost, especially considering how volatile their status seems these days, and how terrible the DC law market is.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”