Mercer (full ride) or GA State (in state) or Maryland? POLL

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Mercer (full ride) v GSU (in-state) v Maryland?

Mercer
40%
GSU
53%
Maryland
7%

Total votes: 15

wtg27

Mercer (full ride) or GA State (in state) or Maryland? POLL

Postby wtg27 » Thu Mar 31, 2011 9:56 am

First seat deposit to Mercer due Friday (will get it refunded if I attend since I have a full scholarship).

However, I am worried about Mercer's low ranking. I want to practice in Georgia post-graduation, but was not accepted to UGA. Is Maryland (ranked 48) worth the full out of state tuition? Or is GSU the best bet here?

I really appreciate your input; keep in mind my numbers are 163/3.3 and I do not have the choice to take a year off to retake/reapply next cycle.

Thanks in advance.

-W
Last edited by wtg27 on Thu Mar 31, 2011 12:20 pm, edited 3 times in total.

snapdragon

Re: Mercer (full ride) or GA State (in state) or Maryland?

Postby snapdragon » Thu Mar 31, 2011 9:56 am

Isn't GSU ridiculously cheap in-state? I would go for that over Mercer, but my knowledge of the Southeast is teeny tiny.

ndirish2010

Postby ndirish2010 » Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:09 am

Not Maryland.

My understanding is Mercer doesn't place in Atlanta very well, but if you wanted Macon or the surrounding areas the Mercer would be good.

wtg27

Postby wtg27 » Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:48 am

Thanks for the help, snapdragon and ndirish.

I agree that Maryland seems to be illogical for where I want to practice. One thing I should add is that my goal is to work with environmental or animal rights law (pertaining to cosmetic testing, ethical treatment of lab animals, etc) or maybe with the ASPCA or a smiliar organization (no, not PETA). Mercer places well in and around Macon/Savannah, but Atlanta seems to be where jobs in my goal areas are located. However, with how dismal the law market is looking, I'm scared I will not get a job at all graduating from Mercer or GSU.

I did not like GSU's campus when I visited, but loved Mercer's. Basically, I liked everything about Mercer EXCEPT it's ranking and proximity to a large metropolis...

Ughh the decision process is more frustrating than the actual application process haha.

ga345

Postby ga345 » Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:59 am

I am in the same position you are in and want to ultimately practice in Georgia. I am currently in school at one of the major colleges in Atlanta and even I decided that I would not enjoy the environment at GA State. Mercer's low rankings worry me as well, but their new Dean seems to be very dedicated and the school has a good reputation in Georgia (regardless of what other TLSers say). You can easily get a job in Atlanta if you do well in your class and there are plenty of other options available to you inside GA. Macon maybe a smaller city but it has a fairly large legal market and the attorney's work closely with the school. The biggest thing that made me decide to ignore the rankings in this scenario was how I felt. I personally believe I will do better in school if I am in an environment that I enjoy and Mercer was definitely the place out of those two that I could see myself being happiest. PM me if you have any questions and good luck with you decision.

Nicholasnickynic

Re: Mercer (full ride) or GA State (in state) or Maryland? POLL

Postby Nicholasnickynic » Thu Mar 31, 2011 11:13 am

Ga state. I believe they made the top 50 for nlj 250 placement among all law schools. I heard in another thread they have pretty good georgia placement...

In-state should be cheap, no?

I would take Ga State and not look back.

GL!

uwgbluedevil

Postby uwgbluedevil » Thu Mar 31, 2011 11:48 am

Georgia State did really well with NLJ 250 this past year. Statistically better than UGA. They are on the rise, and I do agree the law school itself isnt all that impressive, you are still in downtown Atlanta close to the courthouse, the capitol, and all the major firms. Plus the price is great, although you do have a full ride at Mercer. I've heard good things about Mercer and it's legal writing program, but I just feel like Ga State is the right answer. You stand just as good of a chance at ranking in the top 10% there as you do at Mercer, and with the proximity to Atlanta, I think its the best option.

alexonfyre

Postby alexonfyre » Thu Mar 31, 2011 11:55 am

I have a few friends at GSU law, and they were a little worried at first, but thusfar have been VERY pleased with the quality of education there. Once you get over going to school in a bunch of random buildings downtown, GSU in-state is one of the best regional investments out there. A ride to Mercer is nice, but there is are very serious differences between the opportunities there and the opportunities at GSU.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”