ANY ADVICE PLEASE? C-K vs. OSU vs. UWisc

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
lawyeriA
Posts: 28
Joined: Sat Oct 09, 2010 8:11 pm

ANY ADVICE PLEASE? C-K vs. OSU vs. UWisc

Postby lawyeriA » Thu Mar 31, 2011 12:27 am

Looking for any advice I can get. Got it narrowed down to these three schools (followed by the likely debt incurred after attending based on scholarship offers.)

Wisconsin-Madison (85k debt)
Ohio State (20k debt)
Chicago-Kent (less than 10k debt)

I really really want to work in Chicago eventually (within 1-3 years of graduation if not right away) as I am a Chicago native born and raised. I do not really have huge dreams of going "big law" but would like to go into private practice and maybe work at a midsize firm doing maybe business law or maybe even something in healthcare. ANY THOUGHTS PLEASE

User avatar
mcubberly
Posts: 212
Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2010 4:44 pm

Re: ANY ADVICE PLEASE? C-K vs. OSU vs. UWisc

Postby mcubberly » Thu Mar 31, 2011 12:30 am

lawyeriA wrote:Looking for any advice I can get. Got it narrowed down to these three schools (followed by the likely debt incurred after attending based on scholarship offers.)

Wisconsin-Madison (85k debt)
Ohio State (20k debt)
Chicago-Kent (less than 10k debt)

I really really want to work in Chicago eventually (within 1-3 years of graduation if not right away) as I am a Chicago native born and raised. I do not really have huge dreams of going "big law" but would like to go into private practice and maybe work at a midsize firm doing maybe business law or maybe even something in healthcare. ANY THOUGHTS PLEASE

Osu... Tier 1 plus little debt= win.

User avatar
JollyGreenGiant
Posts: 995
Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2007 9:12 pm

Re: ANY ADVICE PLEASE? C-K vs. OSU vs. UWisc

Postby JollyGreenGiant » Thu Mar 31, 2011 12:32 am

I'd go with the least amount of debt in this case... especially since you want Chicago.

User avatar
theavrock
Posts: 601
Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:52 pm

Re: ANY ADVICE PLEASE? C-K vs. OSU vs. UWisc

Postby theavrock » Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:51 am

Tough call between Kent and OSU, but if you really want to be in Chicago you'll have a better shot at Kent.

I would assume you can get there from OSU, but you'll have to do very well or have some connections that you can work.

User avatar
ndirish2010
Posts: 2950
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 4:41 pm

Re: ANY ADVICE PLEASE? C-K vs. OSU vs. UWisc

Postby ndirish2010 » Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:12 am

Have you ever been to Columbus? OSU makes so much more sense here that it is ridiculous, if only if you could get over the Chicago thing.

User avatar
BarbellDreams
Posts: 2256
Joined: Thu Mar 19, 2009 6:10 pm

Re: ANY ADVICE PLEASE? C-K vs. OSU vs. UWisc

Postby BarbellDreams » Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:27 am

If you absolutely no questions asked have to work in Chicago then go to Kent, but OSU is your best bet in terms of pure employment so decide whether Chicago is really that important yet.

runnergal
Posts: 8
Joined: Fri Mar 11, 2011 3:15 pm

Re: ANY ADVICE PLEASE? C-K vs. OSU vs. UWisc

Postby runnergal » Thu Apr 07, 2011 5:54 pm

OSU only has 8 percent of its grads employed in the state of Illinois according to its Graduate Placement Statistics. The majority are employed in the state of Ohio. Definitely worth noting if you want to practice in Illinois. Also, I'm not sure I agree its the best bet in terms of pure employment. Kent actually has higher private and public sector starting salaries than OSU according to US News, so I think employment-wise you can do just as well from Kent.

CanadianWolf
Posts: 10439
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:54 pm

Re: ANY ADVICE PLEASE? C-K vs. OSU vs. UWisc

Postby CanadianWolf » Thu Apr 07, 2011 5:58 pm

Chicago-Kent is a very well respected law school. All 3 choices are attractive, in my opinion. Some like the option of joining the Wisconsin bar without having to sit for a bar exam after if a Wisconsin law grad. You really have great options. Columbus & Cincinnati are nice cities.

firemed
Posts: 1195
Joined: Wed Aug 11, 2010 7:36 pm

Re: ANY ADVICE PLEASE? C-K vs. OSU vs. UWisc

Postby firemed » Thu Apr 07, 2011 6:00 pm

runnergal wrote:OSU only has 8 percent of its grads employed in the state of Illinois according to its Graduate Placement Statistics. The majority are employed in the state of Ohio. Definitely worth noting if you want to practice in Illinois. Also, I'm not sure I agree its the best bet in terms of pure employment. Kent actually has higher private and public sector starting salaries than OSU according to US News, so I think employment-wise you can do just as well from Kent.



Not true.

Kent grads regularly mention their total lack of jobs. I think one guy was saying that by graduation less than 20% of his class had a job offer.

I am guessing OSU doesn't have that issue nearly as bad.


I would go OSU any day.


CanadianWolf
Posts: 10439
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:54 pm

Re: ANY ADVICE PLEASE? C-K vs. OSU vs. UWisc

Postby CanadianWolf » Thu Apr 07, 2011 6:09 pm

According to data in USNews, IIT-Chicago-Kent had 75% of the 2009 grads employed by graduation. But, I agree, that Ohio State may be a slighly safer bet--and much safer if willing to work in Ohio.

sunshine123
Posts: 8
Joined: Mon Mar 28, 2011 9:53 am

Re: ANY ADVICE PLEASE? C-K vs. OSU vs. UWisc

Postby sunshine123 » Thu Apr 07, 2011 11:50 pm

BlueDiamond wrote:http://abovethelaw.com/2011/01/inside-straight-hire-this-unemployed-chicago-kent-editor-in-chief/

OSU


This is anecdotal. The majority of Kent grads are employed, many of them with great jobs.
Anyway, Kent is an awesome school in an amazing city.

Kent.

Commonwealthman
Posts: 21
Joined: Tue Jan 25, 2011 7:35 pm

Re: ANY ADVICE PLEASE? C-K vs. OSU vs. UWisc

Postby Commonwealthman » Fri Apr 08, 2011 1:02 am

probably Ohio State.

Did you apply to UIUC?

jelly
Posts: 31
Joined: Wed Feb 11, 2009 10:32 pm

Re: ANY ADVICE PLEASE? C-K vs. OSU vs. UWisc

Postby jelly » Fri Apr 08, 2011 9:00 am

Kent if you want Chicago. Otherwise, OSU. I don't think Wisconsin is worth the extra debt over Kent and OSU. Kent also now offers a guaranteed externship to all students after their first year, so that should help as far as employment.

Also, the unemployed editor in chief from Chicago-Kent mentioned above is now at Kirkland:

http://www.kirkland.com/sitecontent.cfm ... emID=10170

firemed
Posts: 1195
Joined: Wed Aug 11, 2010 7:36 pm

Re: ANY ADVICE PLEASE? C-K vs. OSU vs. UWisc

Postby firemed » Fri Apr 08, 2011 9:34 am

sunshine123 wrote:
BlueDiamond wrote:http://abovethelaw.com/2011/01/inside-straight-hire-this-unemployed-chicago-kent-editor-in-chief/

OSU


This is anecdotal. The majority of Kent grads are employed, many of them with great jobs.
Anyway, Kent is an awesome school in an amazing city.

Kent.



I am so sure, however that the above isn't anecdotal... and unbiased too? Because you sound like a Kent student/grad, especially since this is your first post.

User avatar
lifestooquick
Posts: 1200
Joined: Wed Feb 17, 2010 3:13 pm

Re: ANY ADVICE PLEASE? C-K vs. OSU vs. UWisc

Postby lifestooquick » Fri Apr 08, 2011 8:28 pm

I'm going to OSU so I may be biased but I vote OSU. I would also say that I think there is definitely a decent amount of self-selection bias in the number of people who work in Ohio after attending OSU. Ohioans love Ohio and they choose to stay. With strong networking (OSU has a huge alum base) if you want Chicago that badly, you could get there eventually.

sunshine123
Posts: 8
Joined: Mon Mar 28, 2011 9:53 am

Re: ANY ADVICE PLEASE? C-K vs. OSU vs. UWisc

Postby sunshine123 » Fri Apr 08, 2011 11:09 pm

firemed wrote:
sunshine123 wrote:
BlueDiamond wrote:http://abovethelaw.com/2011/01/inside-straight-hire-this-unemployed-chicago-kent-editor-in-chief/

OSU


This is anecdotal. The majority of Kent grads are employed, many of them with great jobs.
Anyway, Kent is an awesome school in an amazing city.

Kent.



I am so sure, however that the above isn't anecdotal... and unbiased too? Because you sound like a Kent student/grad, especially since this is your first post.


Nope. Not a Kent student or grad. Just a Chicago fan who's considering Kent. I didn't even apply to OSU because I would much rather be in Chicago than Ohio. Also, going to OSU to practice in Chicago makes no sense to me. I still think OP should go to Kent if they want Chicago.

User avatar
JamMasterJ
Posts: 6688
Joined: Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:17 pm

Re: ANY ADVICE PLEASE? C-K vs. OSU vs. UWisc

Postby JamMasterJ » Sat Apr 09, 2011 2:42 am

runnergal wrote:OSU only has 8 percent of its grads employed in the state of Illinois according to its Graduate Placement Statistics. The majority are employed in the state of Ohio. Definitely worth noting if you want to practice in Illinois. Also, I'm not sure I agree its the best bet in terms of pure employment. Kent actually has higher private and public sector starting salaries than OSU according to US News, so I think employment-wise you can do just as well from Kent.

Cardozo has higher salaries listed than Iowa. It's called cost of living increases and has a lot to do with self selection. It costs more to live in big cities, so T2s in those cities have higher median salaries than lower T1s in smaller markets.




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: andpeggy, Mhr, Yahoo [Bot] and 3 guests