Best mid-T14 for people who strike out at OCI? Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Which mid-T14 school offers the best options for students who strike out at OCI?

Cornell
5%
Duke
No votes
UVA
2%
Berkeley
2%
Penn
7%
NYU
11%
Chicago
25%
Whichever school you have the strongest geographic tie to
5%
Whichever school offers you the most scholarship money
43%

Total votes: 44

Lovely Ludwig Van

Bronze

Best mid-T14 for people who strike out at OCI?

Post by Lovely Ludwig Van » Wed Mar 30, 2011 6:46 pm

So as we all know, biglaw is a huge gamble in this economy, 60-40 or lower at most T14 schools. For those of us who have our sights set on biglaw but want to hedge our bets, which school offers the best 'safety net' options for those who strike out at OCI?

HeavenWood

Gold

Re: Best mid-T14 for people who strike out at OCI?

Post by HeavenWood » Wed Mar 30, 2011 7:00 pm

Lovely Ludwig Van wrote:So as we all know, biglaw is a huge gamble in this economy, 60-40 or lower at most T14 schools. For those of us who have our sights set on biglaw but want to hedge our bets, which school offers the best 'safety net' options for those who strike out at OCI?
You have a very interesting definition of "mid-level T14."

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Wed Mar 30, 2011 7:02 pm

Scholarship money, and it isn't even close.

Lovely Ludwig Van

Bronze

Post by Lovely Ludwig Van » Wed Mar 30, 2011 7:06 pm

HeavenWood wrote:
Lovely Ludwig Van wrote:So as we all know, biglaw is a huge gamble in this economy, 60-40 or lower at most T14 schools. For those of us who have our sights set on biglaw but want to hedge our bets, which school offers the best 'safety net' options for those who strike out at OCI?
Well yeah, I just wanted to throw D and C out there because I was accepted there as well. I could use as much information as possible.

Cupidity

Gold

Post by Cupidity » Wed Mar 30, 2011 7:08 pm

Your question was rather odd, but I think the answer is that it doesn't matter. If you strike out at OCI it comes down to your individual skills. When you are mass mailing 200+ firms cross country, no one school will give you a significant edge. It's the polish of your resume, your grades, and the quality of your interview.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

ArchRoark

Silver

Post by ArchRoark » Wed Mar 30, 2011 7:08 pm

Blatant anti-NU trolling.

HeavenWood

Gold

Post by HeavenWood » Wed Mar 30, 2011 7:09 pm

Lovely Ludwig Van wrote:
HeavenWood wrote:
Well yeah, I just wanted to throw D and C out there because I was accepted there as well. I could use as much information as possible.
All things being equal, UVA looks like your best choice (given your acceptances, scholly offers, and what appears to be strong debt aversion).

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Wed Mar 30, 2011 7:10 pm

What are you proposing you "hedge your bets" with? As in, complete the following sentence: "If I don't get BigLaw, my backup plan is to _______________."

rayiner

Platinum

Post by rayiner » Wed Mar 30, 2011 7:11 pm

Biglaw *is* the safety net option. Everything else is harder to get.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Lovely Ludwig Van

Bronze

Post by Lovely Ludwig Van » Wed Mar 30, 2011 7:11 pm

ArchRoark wrote:Blatant anti-NU trolling.
Sorry, I didn't apply to NU. Fresh meat coming straight out of undergrad.

Lovely Ludwig Van

Bronze

Post by Lovely Ludwig Van » Wed Mar 30, 2011 7:12 pm

vanwinkle wrote:What are you proposing you "hedge your bets" with? As in, complete the following sentence: "If I don't get BigLaw, my backup plan is to _______________."
...work at a mid-law firm.

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Wed Mar 30, 2011 7:14 pm

Lovely Ludwig Van wrote:
vanwinkle wrote:What are you proposing you "hedge your bets" with? As in, complete the following sentence: "If I don't get BigLaw, my backup plan is to _______________."
What's your definition of a "mid-law firm"?

BarbellDreams

Gold

Post by BarbellDreams » Wed Mar 30, 2011 7:16 pm

Latest placement stats had everyone giddy with Cornell's numbers, but my choice would be either Chicago or NYU depending on whether you wanna live in Chicago or NYC. Also, getting accepted to all of these and asking questions about what happens if you strike out at OCI makes me feel like you may be my favorite 0L on this board.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Lovely Ludwig Van

Bronze

Post by Lovely Ludwig Van » Wed Mar 30, 2011 7:19 pm

vanwinkle wrote:
Lovely Ludwig Van wrote:
What's your definition of a "mid-law firm"?
I'm sorry, should have said "mid-size law firm." And by that I meant any firm that pays associates in the area between biglaw and public interest salary.

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Wed Mar 30, 2011 7:33 pm

Lovely Ludwig Van wrote:I'm sorry, should have said "mid-size law firm." And by that I meant any firm that pays associates in the area between biglaw and public interest salary.
There are not many jobs for new grads that pay "in the area between big law and public interest".

Have you ever heard of "bimodal salary distribution"? It means that the number of jobs paying at each salary isn't a straight line or even a gentle slope. Instead you have two clusters, one paying a lot and one paying a little, with very little in between.

http://www.nalp.org/salarydistrib

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Wed Mar 30, 2011 7:35 pm

ArchRoark wrote:Blatant anti-NU trolling.
Or extreme NU trolling.

Cavalier

Gold

Post by Cavalier » Wed Mar 30, 2011 7:39 pm

Since the main problem you'll face if you strike out at OCI is the debt, the school that offers you the most scholarship money will be the "safest." If you get $25k/year at Cornell, you won't be totally miserable if you find yourself making $50k/year upon graduation compared to someone who is making the same and attended NYU with no scholarship.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Lovely Ludwig Van

Bronze

Post by Lovely Ludwig Van » Wed Mar 30, 2011 7:50 pm

vanwinkle wrote:
Have you ever heard of "bimodal salary distribution"? It means that the number of jobs paying at each salary isn't a straight line or even a gentle slope. Instead you have two clusters, one paying a lot and one paying a little, with very little in between.

http://www.nalp.org/salarydistrib
Yes, I've seen that graph on TLS before. Other than mid-sized law firms, I can't think of many other options besides clerkship (which require top 10-20% anyway), PI (which require WE and specific focus), academia (top 5%), and business (WE and connections). So I guess what I'm really trying to ask is assuming I place all my chips on biglaw and strike out, where would I have the best chance of finding something halfway decent afterwards?

Also, does anyone want to comment specifically on how Chicago or Penn (the only two schools receiving multiple votes at this point) might be better for OCI strikeout victims compared to other mid-T14's? Chances at biglaw aside, where do these two stand in regards to alumni network, strength of OCS, reputation among employers, etc.?

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Wed Mar 30, 2011 7:52 pm

Lovely Ludwig Van wrote:So I guess what I'm really trying to ask is assuming I place all my chips on biglaw and strike out, where would I have the best chance of finding something halfway decent afterwards?
Solution: realize that if/when you strike out that you will scrambling to find any legal job and whether or not is halfway decent will be one of the last things on your mind.

Cupidity

Gold

Post by Cupidity » Wed Mar 30, 2011 7:53 pm

Chicago is the school of the gods.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”