Hastings vs. American

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Hastings vs. American

Hastings
63%
American
37%

Total votes: 19

spamalot

Hastings vs. American

Postby spamalot » Wed Mar 30, 2011 6:05 pm

Hi, everyone.
It's time to choose and I can't choose at all! I need your help.
LSAT 165 GPA 3.1
I got into Hastings and American and WLed at Minnesota, Wisconsin, W&M and UWashington.
So ignoring WL, I have two options in my hand. Both at sticker though. Haven't got any scholarship but it's okay, money is not a concern at the moment.

BigLaw seems hard with those schools so i'm gunning for mid law or governt jobs.
Working in SF and DC sounds fantasic to me, no preference whatsoever!

My biggest concern is job prospect in mid law or government job.
Retaking is not an option for I've already taken twice.

Please give me any advice and your reasons! Thank you all in advance.

Borhas

Re: Hastings vs. American

Postby Borhas » Wed Mar 30, 2011 7:07 pm

Hastings probably has better employment prospects overall

--ImageRemoved--

more class of 2009 info viewtopic.php?f=1&t=150681

I encourage you to look up previous years as well

spamalot

Postby spamalot » Wed Mar 30, 2011 7:50 pm

Thanks to those who voted but can I ask for your reason?
It seems like there isn't much gap in ranking between those two schools and I feel like there will be more government job/mid law available in DC then in California (with the state gov't going bankrupt) but the again I could be wrong.
Please enlighten me! Thank you all! :)

bk1

Postby bk1 » Wed Mar 30, 2011 7:54 pm

Pick whether you'd rather be in CA or DC and go to the corresponding school.

That being said, neither of these schools are worth sticker.

Borhas

Postby Borhas » Thu Mar 31, 2011 3:56 pm

bk1 wrote:Pick whether you'd rather be in CA or DC and go to the corresponding school.

That being said, neither of these schools are worth sticker.

For government work Hastings IS worth sticker.

Why? It has a f'n awesome LRAP

Starting in 2011, if you qualify for IBR, the PICAP will pay up to 90% of your IBR payment (and in like 3 years it'll cover up to 100%)

So if you are sure you want PI (and that you could get SOME PI/Gov't job) you will basically pay $0 on your federal loans. Course that means you have to dedicate your career (or at least 10 years of it) to PI/Govt work. But if you are unsure of the 10 year thing, or you don't qualify for IBR (but still have PI/Gov't work) you can use the traditional PICAP, which is still WAY BETTER than American's, and better than almost every school outside of the T-14 (and some in the T14).

I mean I get that most people want firm jobs, but when that's not the goal, let's not give out canned advice.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Thu Mar 31, 2011 4:36 pm

Borhas wrote:For government work Hastings IS worth sticker.

Why? It has a f'n awesome LRAP

Starting in 2011, if you qualify for IBR, the PICAP will pay up to 90% of your IBR payment (and in like 3 years it'll cover up to 100%)

So if you are sure you want PI (and that you could get SOME PI/Gov't job) you will basically pay $0 on your federal loans. Course that means you have to dedicate your career (or at least 10 years of it) to PI/Govt work. But if you are unsure of the 10 year thing, or you don't qualify for IBR (but still have PI/Gov't work) you can use the traditional PICAP, which is still WAY BETTER than American's, and better than almost every school outside of the T-14 (and some in the T14).

I mean I get that most people want firm jobs, but when that's not the goal, let's not give out canned advice.

I don't think that is a canned response in the least when 1/4 or so of Hastings grads are unemployed or working part time. Whether or not one wants PI, that is ridiculously high and why I feel sticker isn't justified.

It's not really anything against Hastings/Davis as schools but more that they are worse bets than their peers outside of CA at equal cost because CA employment is so shit.

Borhas

Postby Borhas » Thu Mar 31, 2011 5:30 pm

Sure sounded like a canned response (though I now realize that my tone came off as aggressive, sorry about that). Whether or not one wants PI/Gov't going into LS is a pretty big deal. It's important to point out that going into LS w/ intent for PI dramatically increases odds of getting those jobs. Lots of people go in trying to work for a firm making 160,000 then all of a sudden decide in their 3L that they'd settle for PI cause they aren't getting Big or Mid Law... cause by then no employer believes those people and they'll end up unemployed. That's why there's a difference between those two.

Likewise, using LRAP/IBR as a general positive would be a canned response as well... for the same reason. Most people don't go into school looking for PI/Govt work.

For it not be a canned response you have to assume that a significant (large) number of people who want PI/govt from day 1 don't get it within 9mo to a year after grad. What % would be significant? 25%? I suppose, thats pretty significant, but at the same time people were happy to pay sticker in 2006 for 75% chance at Big Law.... But I digress...

The bottom line is that if you do get a PI/Gov't job from UCH, you will be much better off than anyone getting equivalent work at any peer school in the rest of the country because of the loan repayment programs. That's a pretty significant point, to just ignore it and throw it out of the discussion is incomplete, lazy or both.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”