Is Penn worth sticker? Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Veyron

Gold

Re: Is Penn worth sticker?

Post by Veyron » Wed Mar 30, 2011 5:51 pm

thecilent wrote:
dpk711 wrote:so you're saying it's worth it for NY biglaw but not for LA biglaw?
Im saying its not worth it to go there at sticker thinking you are def getting nyc biglaw (forget about la). If you are open to philly or maybe no biglaw, then you could feel better about attending.

But if you are going there strictly to try and get nyc biglaw, then its a gamble
? NYC biglaw is 10000000X easier to get that Philly biglaw.

Georgiana

Silver

Post by Georgiana » Wed Mar 30, 2011 5:52 pm

As a Penn student I vote no but this is based on my cycle/experience/numbers. It really depends on your other options. I wouldn't pay sticker anywhere other than Stanford (no interest in HY).

thecilent

Gold

Post by thecilent » Wed Mar 30, 2011 5:53 pm

Veyron wrote:
thecilent wrote:
dpk711 wrote:so you're saying it's worth it for NY biglaw but not for LA biglaw?
Im saying its not worth it to go there at sticker thinking you are def getting nyc biglaw (forget about la). If you are open to philly or maybe no biglaw, then you could feel better about attending.

But if you are going there strictly to try and get nyc biglaw, then its a gamble
? NYC biglaw is 10000000X easier to get that Philly biglaw.
I just meant if you are open to more markets as opposed to just one (even though yeah nyc is obvi the biggest)

Veyron

Gold

Post by Veyron » Wed Mar 30, 2011 5:54 pm

Georgiana wrote:As a Penn student I vote no but this is based on my cycle/experience/numbers. It really depends on your other options. I wouldn't pay sticker anywhere other than Stanford (no interest in HY).
Georgiana is a bit ahead of me. 1L OCI went suprisingly well w/r/t firm (and other) hiring. Not sure which is a better indicator of what things will be like when you do OCI.

I just meant if you are open to more markets as opposed to just one (even though yeah nyc is obvi the biggest)
Yah, its pretty essential to have at least 2 markets that your are willing to work in (and not D.C. and SF or something like that).

Georgiana

Silver

Post by Georgiana » Wed Mar 30, 2011 5:57 pm

Veyron wrote:
Georgiana wrote:As a Penn student I vote no but this is based on my cycle/experience/numbers. It really depends on your other options. I wouldn't pay sticker anywhere other than Stanford (no interest in HY).
Georgiana is a bit ahead of me. 1L OCI went suprisingly well w/r/t firm (and other) hiring. Not sure which is a better indicator of what things will be like when you do OCI.
To clarify I'm talking about my application cycle, not OCI. I have a job at an awesome firm once I graduate and even knowing that, I wouldn't want more debt than I already have (and I got a fairly significant aid package).
Last edited by Georgiana on Wed Mar 30, 2011 5:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

src42

Bronze

Post by src42 » Wed Mar 30, 2011 5:58 pm

I won't go to Penn at sticker but that's mostly because I got decent scholarships from peer schools with relatively equal employment prospects. If I didn't have those Penn at sticker might be worth it to me.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”