FSU, UF, Pepperdine, Wake, or Villanova

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

FSU - 10k
25%
UF - 9k
43%
Pepperdine 45k
7%
Wake
18%
Villanova 45k
7%

Total votes: 28

ladybuglove

Postby ladybuglove » Wed Mar 30, 2011 3:43 pm

I'm a FL resident, and would like to attend a school that isn't solely regional. Money and ranking are both factors. I would appreciate any input you might have, and would be happy to answer questions!
Last edited by ladybuglove on Sat Apr 02, 2011 1:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.

CanadianWolf

Re: FSU, UF, Pepperdine, Wake, or Villanova

Postby CanadianWolf » Wed Mar 30, 2011 4:02 pm

All of these law schools are regional. As a Florida resident, your best options are obvious; if in need of a change, then add Pepperdine into the mix.

ladybuglove

Postby ladybuglove » Wed Mar 30, 2011 7:05 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:All of these law schools are regional. As a Florida resident, your best options are obvious; if in need of a change, then add Pepperdine into the mix.

Which of the two FL schools would you choose?

FeelTheHeat

Postby FeelTheHeat » Wed Mar 30, 2011 7:06 pm

Define regional. Both FSU and UF open up the state of Florida to you, especially UF, which I voted for.

ladybuglove

Postby ladybuglove » Wed Mar 30, 2011 9:42 pm

FeelTheHeat wrote:Define regional. Both FSU and UF open up the state of Florida to you, especially UF, which I voted for.

Regional (to me) would be a school that limits you to a particular city or area, like Villanova in Philadelphia or University of Miami in South Florida.

FeelTheHeat

Postby FeelTheHeat » Wed Mar 30, 2011 9:45 pm

Understood. In that case, my vote still stands for UF. If you look at the FSU thread I recently posted my reasoning, I hope you may find it useful.

ladybuglove

Postby ladybuglove » Thu Mar 31, 2011 3:34 pm

Any other opinions?

Bill Cosby

Postby Bill Cosby » Thu Mar 31, 2011 4:02 pm

Tour UF and FSU. See which you like more. Decide.

sch0123

Postby sch0123 » Thu Mar 31, 2011 5:37 pm

Bill Cosby wrote:Tour UF and FSU. See which you like more. Decide.

Agreed. All the schools listed are "regional" unless you finish at the top of your class (like top 10 %, at least).

FSUAlumniAtlanta

Postby FSUAlumniAtlanta » Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:50 am

Agree with earlier comment - visit both UF and FSU, then decide. If you are a Florida resident and you have not received an offer from a Top 20 school, it does not make much sense to attend out of state or private (unless scholarship). If I were in your shoes, I would have FSU slightly above UF for the obvious 10,000 reasons. Over a course of 3 years, that is $30,000 (more with interest). That's the same as FSU saying "If you come here, we will have a 2008 BMW waiting for you." Or stated differently, that's about $400 a month for 7 years after graduation you will not have to pay. I am emphasizing this fact because most young adults coming out of undergrad do not truely appreciate the money factor. To most 21 year olds, it is just "another loan." Don't become slave to the golden handcuffs!

However, in fairness, if you do not like FSU during your visit, or if UF matches the offer, then those are both serious factors.

Finally, do not be fooled by a poll with less than 20 voters, especially when statistically UF will always win because they churn out double the law school graduates. In reality, being top 10-15% from either school will open the SAME doors. Conversely, doing poorly at either school will also shut many doors (unlike a Top 20 school). Both schools are highly respected in Florida and the southeast more generally.

Best of luck!

FeelTheHeat

Postby FeelTheHeat » Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:53 am

FSUAlumniAtlanta wrote:Agree with earlier comment - visit both UF and FSU, then decide. If you are a Florida resident and you have not received an offer from a Top 20 school, it does not make much sense to attend out of state or private (unless scholarship). If I were in your shoes, I would have FSU slightly above UF for the obvious 10,000 reasons. Over a course of 3 years, that is $30,000 (more with interest). That's the same as FSU saying "If you come here, we will have a 2008 BMW waiting for you." Or stated differently, that's about $400 a month for 7 years after graduation you will not have to pay. I am emphasizing this fact because most young adults coming out of undergrad do not truely appreciate the money factor. To most 21 year olds, it is just "another loan." Don't become slave to the golden handcuffs!

However, in fairness, if you do not like FSU during your visit, or if UF matches the offer, then those are both serious factors.

Finally, do not be fooled by a poll with less than 20 voters, especially when statistically UF will always win because they churn out double the law school graduates. In reality, being top 10-15% from either school will open the SAME doors. Conversely, doing poorly at either school will also shut many doors (unlike a Top 20 school). Both schools are highly respected in Florida and the southeast more generally.

Best of luck!

I think it is just 10k.

ladybuglove

Postby ladybuglove » Sat Apr 02, 2011 1:34 pm

FSUAlumniAtlanta wrote:Agree with earlier comment - visit both UF and FSU, then decide. If you are a Florida resident and you have not received an offer from a Top 20 school, it does not make much sense to attend out of state or private (unless scholarship). If I were in your shoes, I would have FSU slightly above UF for the obvious 10,000 reasons. Over a course of 3 years, that is $30,000 (more with interest). That's the same as FSU saying "If you come here, we will have a 2008 BMW waiting for you." Or stated differently, that's about $400 a month for 7 years after graduation you will not have to pay. I am emphasizing this fact because most young adults coming out of undergrad do not truely appreciate the money factor. To most 21 year olds, it is just "another loan." Don't become slave to the golden handcuffs!

Best of luck!

UF just offered me 9k - only 1k less than FSU! i appreciate your advice - i'm very debt averse and want to attend a school that i like without breaking the bank

FeelTheHeat

Postby FeelTheHeat » Sat Apr 02, 2011 1:35 pm

Congrats. I think UF is undoubtedly your best option.

ladybuglove

Postby ladybuglove » Sat Apr 02, 2011 1:37 pm

FeelTheHeat wrote:Congrats. I think UF is undoubtedly your best option.

I agree - I withdrew from FSU and unless I can negotiate more money from Villanova or Pepperdine or receive money from Wake I will be at UF this fall!!!

FSUAlumniAtlanta

Postby FSUAlumniAtlanta » Sun Apr 03, 2011 2:35 pm

Congrats!

Although I don't agree UF is "undoubtedly" the best choice generally -- it may be in your case given your ties.

PS - that you were able to secure scholarships from both of the top two schools in Florida is a cleary a step above average. Best of luck on your next 3 years.

ladybuglove

Postby ladybuglove » Sun Apr 03, 2011 3:47 pm

FSUAlumniAtlanta wrote:Congrats!

Although I don't agree UF is "undoubtedly" the best choice generally -- it may be in your case given your ties.

PS - that you were able to secure scholarships from both of the top two schools in Florida is a cleary a step above average. Best of luck on your next 3 years.

Thank you very much! I'm very excited!!!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”