BU/Davis or Wait out T-14 WL Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

which one

BU (with 35k yr)
67%
Davis (with 25k yr)
22%
WL GULC/Duke
11%

Total votes: 9

bernadette1

New

BU/Davis or Wait out T-14 WL

Post by bernadette1 » Wed Mar 30, 2011 2:24 pm

So my cycle so far is as follows

BU- with 35kyr
BC-with 28k yr
UNC-with 20kyr
UC Davis- with ~25k yr
Georgetown-WL (non preferred)
Duke-WL
USC- still waiting

BU is my top choice so far. I loved Boston and the campus, and they are offering a nice amount of aid. I honestly wouldn't mind living in Boston or NYC at all, however I am a SoCal native and it would be nice to have some way of getting back here one day. I'm still waiting on USC and if accepted, I might not be able to turn it down (tuition would be significantly cheaper). I'm not 100% of what I want to do but I am leaning toward something in PI.

So i'm just looking for some feedback. I've loved what I've seen and heard about BU but is it worth passing up (the possibility) of higher ranked schools, or should I just wait it out for the t-14?
Last edited by bernadette1 on Thu Mar 31, 2011 1:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

forty-two

Bronze

Re: BU/Davis or Wait out T-14 WL

Post by forty-two » Wed Mar 30, 2011 3:31 pm

I would stay on the waitlists, but that is an excellent offer from BU. If you like the school and would be happy staying in Boston/the NE and don't get into anything better, then I don't think it's a bad choice at all. I'd ask the school to put you in touch with some alums in SoCal to see how hard it is to find a job there though.

Slevin Kelevra 2011

Bronze

Post by Slevin Kelevra 2011 » Wed Mar 30, 2011 6:09 pm

Don't go to BU if you want to end up on the west coast. Vice versa for Davis and working on the east coast. Pick where you would rather work and attend a school in that area.

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Wed Mar 30, 2011 6:14 pm

If you're comfortable with a slim (say 10-20% shot at coming back to CA) right after graduation or moving after a few years of Boston/NYC, I don't think BU is that bad. I also think 25k/year at Davis is a good choice (even for SoCal) and might even pick it over USC at sticker if I wanted LA.

Best of all options: decide between BU/Davis now, start studying for a retake in June, ride out the waitlists, decide whether you want to reapply pending your June LSAT.

Cupidity

Gold

Post by Cupidity » Wed Mar 30, 2011 6:18 pm

The few friend I have here at BU who want to go to California have been successful, but I'm basing that on four or five well qualified students. I think the 10% figure is somewhat deceptive when you consider the West Coast is not a target market for us. At the end of the day, BU is a better degree than Davis for less money. I'd take my chances here.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

bernadette1

New

Post by bernadette1 » Wed Mar 30, 2011 9:38 pm

thanks for all the input guys, i really appreciate it!!

I think I'll wait it out on the waitlists (for a bit at least) even though im pretty in love with BU. I honestly would love to live in the Boston or NYC area after graduation. I just didn't want to completely shut myself out of the California market in case I changed my mind and wanted to come back home one day. I talked to a few alums at a Socal reception the other day and they all said around the same thing, that a job in Cali is possible, you just have to work harder at it.

I'm going to visit davis next week so i'll see how I like it, but as of right now BU is my top choice.

dakatz

Gold

Post by dakatz » Wed Mar 30, 2011 9:41 pm

Def BU. Duke and GULC aren't worth sticker price anyway, and especially not when compared with 105K from BU.

alexonfyre

Bronze

Post by alexonfyre » Wed Mar 30, 2011 10:05 pm

dakatz wrote:Def BU. Duke and GULC aren't worth sticker price anyway, and especially not when compared with 105K from BU.
False.

dakatz

Gold

Post by dakatz » Wed Mar 30, 2011 10:10 pm

alexonfyre wrote:
dakatz wrote:Def BU. Duke and GULC aren't worth sticker price anyway, and especially not when compared with 105K from BU.
False.
Says the 0L, but thanks for playing

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

flexityflex86

Silver

Post by flexityflex86 » Wed Mar 30, 2011 10:12 pm

I'd take 35k to BU over GT and Duke. I did hear a story, though, of a guy who did not make partner presumably because he "only" went to BU. However, I am not sure how long ago this took place.

dakatz

Gold

Post by dakatz » Wed Mar 30, 2011 10:15 pm

flexityflex86 wrote:I'd take 35k to BU over GT and Duke. I did hear a story, though, of a guy who did not make partner presumably because he "only" went to BU. However, I am not sure how long ago this took place.
I really doubt firms would hire you in the first place if they were troubled by where you went to school. Sure, there are firms that won't hire from anything but T10 schools. They wouldn't hire someone who is "only" a BU student. But once you are hired, how you progress would be almost entirely tied to your work product and ability to bring in business. Much as your LSAT becomes irrelevant once you receive law school grades, your law school pedigree becomes far less relevant once you have tangible work output at your firm.

flexityflex86

Silver

Post by flexityflex86 » Wed Mar 30, 2011 10:18 pm

dakatz wrote:
flexityflex86 wrote:I'd take 35k to BU over GT and Duke. I did hear a story, though, of a guy who did not make partner presumably because he "only" went to BU. However, I am not sure how long ago this took place.
I really doubt firms would hire you in the first place if they were troubled by where you went to school. Sure, there are firms that won't hire from anything but T10 schools. They wouldn't hire someone who is "only" a BU student. But once you are hired, how you progress would be almost entirely tied to your work product and ability to bring in business. Much as your LSAT becomes irrelevant once you receive law school grades, your law school pedigree becomes far less relevant once you have tangible work output at your firm.
I can see them maybe saying, "This person is good at law, we like their personality, but we can't have BU on our list of partners." I can basically see them thinking one is good enough to practice for them, but not good enough to be a partner based off of something like this, because they aren't in their elite little club. My issue is, I do not think GT and Duke are exactly "elite." If OP had guaranteed placement in such a firm regardless, I'd advise GT or Duke, but s/he does not as these schools are not a "sure" bet for Big Law. However, I do not think there'd be a HUGE difference between these two bottom t-14, and BU in terms of mid-level placement unless OP wants to practice outside of New England.

dakatz

Gold

Post by dakatz » Wed Mar 30, 2011 10:22 pm

flexityflex86 wrote:
dakatz wrote:
I can see them maybe saying, "This person is good at law, we like their personality, but we can't have BU on our list of partners." I can basically see them thinking one is good enough to practice for them, but not good enough to be a partner based off of something like this, because they aren't in their elite little club. My issue is, I do not think GT and Duke are exactly "elite." If OP had guaranteed placement in such a firm regardless, I'd advise GT or Duke, but s/he does not as these schools are not a "sure" bet for Big Law. However, I do not think there'd be a HUGE difference between these two bottom t-14, and BU in terms of mid-level placement unless OP wants to practice outside of New England.
First of all, OP said he/she is leaning toward PI work, so most of this wouldn't even apply. And second of all, I find it highly questionable. I talked to a number of people in large firms from a number of schools. They said that they are able to sort of tailor their progression based on their goals and are usually given very honest feedback along the way (i.e. what are chances of making partner based on what I have done thus far). I really doubt a firm would spring that sentiment on you out of the blue after years of hard work that would otherwise be deserving of partnership.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

flexityflex86

Silver

Post by flexityflex86 » Wed Mar 30, 2011 10:25 pm

dakatz wrote:
flexityflex86 wrote:
dakatz wrote:
First of all, OP said he/she is leaning toward PI work, so most of this wouldn't even apply. And second of all, I find it highly questionable. I talked to a number of people in large firms from a number of schools. They said that they are able to sort of tailor their progression based on their goals and are usually given very honest feedback along the way (i.e. what are chances of making partner based on what I have done thus far). I really doubt a firm would spring that sentiment on you out of the blue after years of hard work that would otherwise be deserving of partnership.
Well, I did hear this from a young professional I live with who has a few friends much older than me who are practicing. It's very likely his friend used BU as a cop out to explain he wasn't a good lawyer much like a fat guy might use his weight to explain why he messed it up with some girl when in actuality he just has no game.

Blindmelon

Gold

Post by Blindmelon » Wed Mar 30, 2011 10:52 pm

Someone saying they didn't make partner because they went to BU is obviously lying. Making partner is about bringing clients and money in. Look at top firms, and you won't be super impressed with where partners went to school.

Metaread

Bronze

Post by Metaread » Thu Mar 31, 2011 12:45 am

Davis is out, esp if BU is offering a better scholly. Davis seems rather stingy with schollies, I personally didn't get any money offered. Oh well.

New

Post by 80884 » Thu Mar 31, 2011 1:08 am

1 Vote for Davis.

1. in state + $$
2. Good Chance for Cal, even So-Cal (far better than BU)
3. LRAP at Davis is super-good for PI !!! very important
4. Class Rank (I bet you would rank better at Davis)

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Thu Mar 31, 2011 1:14 am

80884 wrote:4. Class Rank (I bet you would rank better at Davis)
This is a foolish assumption to make.

Metaread

Bronze

Post by Metaread » Thu Mar 31, 2011 1:33 am

80884 wrote:1 Vote for Davis.

1. in state + $$
2. Good Chance for Cal, even So-Cal (far better than BU)
3. LRAP at Davis is super-good for PI !!! very important
4. Class Rank (I bet you would rank better at Davis)
I honestly don't see how Davis would be better than BU, unless the OP really wants to go to Cali over BU (as a school, which he/she appears to like a lot). Davis' recent and rapid rise in rankings is somewhat suspicious, many people think it's because they gamed their employment stats. They have ok employment prospects, not as good as BU's in my opinion.

ndirish2010

Gold

Post by ndirish2010 » Thu Mar 31, 2011 1:40 am

BU all the way. There is no way in hell I would take GULC at sticker over BU w/105K. Duke is a closer call, but still a no-go.

bernadette1

New

Post by bernadette1 » Thu Mar 31, 2011 4:52 pm

thanks for all the feedback guys. i really appreciate it!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”