Duke (60k) or Cornell (75k)? Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Duke or Cornell?

Duke
51%
Cornell
49%

Total votes: 55

justhoping

Bronze

Duke (60k) or Cornell (75k)?

Post by justhoping » Wed Mar 30, 2011 11:37 am

So my plan is to try out the waitlists (currently at Columbia, and MVP, but mostly hoping for M or P). In the meantime I better put a deposit at either Duke or Cornell. I haven't received my financial aid info yet.

I want to work in NYC after graduation, in the private sector (i.e. biglaw) and I will probably do IP. I realize that Cornell has ridiculously great employment data (esp. in NY) although it is ranked below Duke, but Duke is better in IP.

So I'd love to hear your opinions: is the advantage of Cornell over Duke worth living for 3 years in frozen hell?

EDIT: 54k at Duke and 75k at Cornell :shock:
EDIT 2: Duke increase offer to 60k after negotiation; on the other hand, my mother is now quite pro-Cornell due to proximity to home :?
Last edited by justhoping on Thu Apr 28, 2011 4:49 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Verity

Silver

Re: Deposit @ Duke or Cornell?

Post by Verity » Wed Mar 30, 2011 11:39 am

The job prospects will be only slightly better for Cornell, and both are great. Go where you want to live for three years.

Bildungsroman

Platinum

Post by Bildungsroman » Wed Mar 30, 2011 11:42 am

When are the deposit deadlines and why can't you wait to make this decision until you hear whether you get $?

src42

Bronze

Post by src42 » Wed Mar 30, 2011 11:44 am

Verity wrote:The job prospects will be only slightly better for Cornell, and both are great. Go where you want to live for three years.
This

justhoping

Bronze

Post by justhoping » Wed Mar 30, 2011 11:54 am

Bildungsroman wrote:When are the deposit deadlines and why can't you wait to make this decision until you hear whether you get $?
April 29 for Duke and 1 wk after financial decision for Cornell. I'm a little worried over whether I'd get financial aid info from Duke before April 29 (I was admitted in mid-March and that's when I submitted the scholarship form). But also I think it is possible that Cornell provides me financial info later than Duke's deadline, and Duke's acceptance requires me to withdraw from all other admitted schools.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Stonewall

Bronze

Post by Stonewall » Wed Mar 30, 2011 12:02 pm

cornell if you want a slight edge for biglaw in nyc, but then again, i'd rather live in durham

dresq

Bronze

Post by dresq » Wed Mar 30, 2011 12:04 pm

Verity wrote:The job prospects will be only slightly better for Cornell, . . .
You're assuming that the IP job placement from Duke and the IP job placement from Cornell correlate directly to the overall placement rates. I'm not sure that's a valid assumption. I can't speak to how well Cornell does, but I can definitely tell you that the IP students at Duke have done very well on the whole--far better than the general student population. I assume the prospects from each will be roughly equivalent for OP, largely hinging on 1L grades and any specialized background. But I bet you will enjoy the curriculum, the faculty, and the weather better at Duke.

barry

Bronze

Post by barry » Wed Mar 30, 2011 12:08 pm

Duke = Cornell, go to the one whose location/people you like more

FiveSermon

Gold

Post by FiveSermon » Wed Mar 30, 2011 12:33 pm

Cornell does have stronger placement in NYC which is your target market but if the location bothers you that much it's not really worth giving up Duke for.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

justhoping

Bronze

Post by justhoping » Wed Mar 30, 2011 12:55 pm

thank you guys for the comments&votes! It's most likely going to be Duke unless Cornell lures me with much more $ than Duke. For once in my life I'd like to live in a warm place!

Attorney

Bronze

Post by Attorney » Wed Mar 30, 2011 3:32 pm

Go to whichever school has the best basketball team.

northwood

Platinum

Post by northwood » Wed Mar 30, 2011 3:33 pm

go to the one witha better hockey team

seriously go to where you like it better

justhoping

Bronze

Re: Deposit @ Duke (54k) or Cornell (75k)?

Post by justhoping » Thu Apr 21, 2011 10:01 am

ahhhh just got Duke's FinAid decision in the mail, 54k, should I negotiate, is there any hope? I kind of think with my #'s they're already being quite generous...

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

bdubs

Gold

Post by bdubs » Thu Apr 21, 2011 10:18 am

justhoping wrote:ahhhh just got Duke's FinAid decision in the mail, 54k, should I negotiate, is there any hope? I kind of think with my #'s they're already being quite generous...
You realize that Cornell costs $4k more per year than Duke, right? That difference is negligible, I would take Duke.

PS- Always try to negotiate. Did you send them your Cornell offer in order to get the 54k?

KMaine

Silver

Post by KMaine » Thu Apr 21, 2011 10:25 am

I was in a very similar position a couple of years ago. Tried to negotiate with Duke and got nothing extra. Since you would rather go to Duke, ask for more, then go there no matter what they say to your request. As another poster noted, Cornell is a little more pricey, so the difference is very little in the big scheme of things.

KMaine

Silver

Post by KMaine » Thu Apr 21, 2011 10:27 am

BTW - I would go to either of these schools with the scholarships rather than MVP at sticker.

justhoping

Bronze

Post by justhoping » Thu Apr 21, 2011 10:35 am

bdubs wrote: You realize that Cornell costs $4k more per year than Duke, right? That difference is negligible, I would take Duke.

PS- Always try to negotiate. Did you send them your Cornell offer in order to get the 54k?
Duke and Cornell pretty much mailed out their decisions at the same time, so I haven't had a chance for negotiation. I don't know if it's going to help all that much because as you have mentioned, the cost difference. And Duke deposit is due on 29th. I should act fast now.

KMaine: I probably wouldn't take MVP at sticker, but I'm the "what-if" type of person. What if they will offer me some aid when they take me off the waitlist? I'm a wishful thinker...

Thanks for the comments/votes everyone!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Thu Apr 21, 2011 11:07 am

I voted for Duke because some current Cornell law students have privately complained about an overly competitive atmosphere. But there is no wrong choice, just different environments. Visit both before deciding, if feasible. Otherwise consider the weather & regional placement.

FiveSermon

Gold

Post by FiveSermon » Thu Apr 21, 2011 8:28 pm

Even though Cornell is giving 21k more, if you factor in the higher tuition and COL it's probably equal. I would say choose the school where you would be happy living at. NYC is the easiest market to break into + you have IP background so I don't think either of these choices are bad.

justhoping

Bronze

Post by justhoping » Thu Apr 21, 2011 11:56 pm

thanks again for the response! and i just sent in my 1st negotiation e-mail at noon asking whether Duke would consider matching and with whom I should speak. Will let you guys know the results since it might be helpful.

justhoping

Bronze

Re: Duke (60k) or Cornell (75k)?

Post by justhoping » Thu Apr 28, 2011 4:49 pm

after negotiation with Duke I managed to get 6k more. At the same time my mother is now becoming quite pro-Cornell because it's close to home. I don't know what to think anymore and have basically the rest of today and tomorrow to decide!

edit: wow so many typos :oops:

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”