UT Austin vs. Michigan State with Full Scholarship? Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
orangevert

New

UT Austin vs. Michigan State with Full Scholarship?

Post by orangevert » Wed Mar 30, 2011 11:30 am

So I'm currently trying to decide between Michigan State and UT Austin right now. While UT is obviously higher-ranked, I'd be paying full price and would have to relocate, since I'm originally from Michigan. In contrast, I have a full scholarship at State, and it's fairly close to where I live.

My question: do you think the benefits from UT will outweigh attending State and graduating law school with no debt?

ANY advice would be appreciated...

splitmuch

Silver

Re: UT Austin vs. Michigan State with Full Scholarship?

Post by splitmuch » Wed Mar 30, 2011 11:30 am

If you want to practice in Michigan go to state no question. If not...

DoubleChecks

Gold

Post by DoubleChecks » Wed Mar 30, 2011 11:31 am

orangevert wrote:So I'm currently trying to decide between Michigan State and UT Austin right now. While UT is obviously higher-ranked, I'd be paying full price and would have to relocate, since I'm originally from Michigan. In contrast, I have a full scholarship at State, and it's fairly close to where I live.

My question: do you think the benefits from UT will outweigh attending State and graduating law school with no debt?

ANY advice would be appreciated...
goals? where do you want to practice afterwards? Mich? prob state. Anywhere else? Prob UT (though be prepared for TX lol)

JakeL

Bronze

Post by JakeL » Wed Mar 30, 2011 11:47 am

My vote is Texas. You can practice pretty much anywhere you want with a degree from TX, vs. being stuck in Michigan. Texas could easily get you back to MI if you want as well (presuming that since you are from MI you have connections).

Verity

Silver

Post by Verity » Wed Mar 30, 2011 11:48 am

JakeL wrote:My vote is Texas. You can practice pretty much anywhere you want with a degree from TX, vs. being stuck in Michigan. Texas could easily get you back to MI if you want as well (presuming that since you are from MI you have connections).

I bet UT does better in Michigan than Michigan State.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

DoubleChecks

Gold

Post by DoubleChecks » Wed Mar 30, 2011 12:00 pm

Verity wrote:
JakeL wrote:My vote is Texas. You can practice pretty much anywhere you want with a degree from TX, vs. being stuck in Michigan. Texas could easily get you back to MI if you want as well (presuming that since you are from MI you have connections).

lol this could be possible, OP should look into it

splitmuch

Silver

Post by splitmuch » Wed Mar 30, 2011 12:36 pm

DoubleChecks wrote:
Verity wrote:

lol this could be possible, OP should look into it

Even if true, though, the differnece is not worth 200 grand. If he wants to practice in Michigan, he should go to MSU. Anywhere else and hook em.

JakeL

Bronze

Post by JakeL » Wed Mar 30, 2011 2:05 pm

splitmuch wrote: Even if true, though, the differnece is not worth 200 grand. If he wants to practice in Michigan, he should go to MSU. Anywhere else and hook em.

Maybe, maybe not. If texas degree gets him a 120k job in Detroit, while MSU gets him a 50k job...

brose

Silver

Post by brose » Wed Mar 30, 2011 2:12 pm

UT.

ETA: You better check your stips too... you don't wanna even have a slim chance at losing that full ride.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

bakerka2

New

Post by bakerka2 » Wed Mar 30, 2011 2:19 pm

I'm from Michigan, and I'd say UT hands down. The Michigan economy sucks, so I'm not sure what your chances of a decent job there are right now anyway. You'd at least have options at UT.

Aberzombie1892

Gold

Post by Aberzombie1892 » Wed Mar 30, 2011 2:35 pm

Attending Texas is simply a high stakes gamble.

Verity

Silver

Post by Verity » Wed Mar 30, 2011 3:30 pm

Aberzombie1892 wrote:Attending Texas is simply a high stakes gamble sure thing, somewhere.

cabbydui

New

Post by cabbydui » Wed Mar 30, 2011 3:38 pm

I don't know if there are any top firms in Detroit that have hired a UT student recently. If you look at the "Big" Detroit firms like Miller Canfield and Honigman they take kids primarily from UofM with a few from similiarly situated schools like UPenn. The other market paying firms take UofM or the top 1-3% of students from Wayne and MSU. Even with your ties to the state, Detroit firms might still see you as a flight risk. My advice would be to go to State, bust your butt, and hopefully be near the top of your class. If all else fails you won't be in much debt. Also, the only $120k+ firm in Detroit is Foley and they only have to SAs, both from UofM.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

brose

Silver

Post by brose » Wed Mar 30, 2011 4:17 pm

Let me reiterate the most important point that people are overlooking: check your scholarship stipulations.

Also, do you have any other options? You're out of state so UT tuition is ridic...

lisjjen

Silver

Post by lisjjen » Wed Mar 30, 2011 4:30 pm

a) 2nd and 3rd year tuition at UT is in-state if you can get residency
b) When I visited for ASD last week, I stayed with a guy from Ann Arbor. Forget MSU, he passed up UMich to go to UT. The result, he already has one summer interning for a NLJ 250 in Detroit, and he'll be spending his 2L summer there as well.
c) MSU is limited to Michigan and the immediate area. The only limit UT faces with national placement is convincing employers that their students are serious about leaving the state. No, seriously.

AreJay711

Gold

Post by AreJay711 » Wed Mar 30, 2011 4:33 pm

Texas is a pretty good legal market from what I gather from the NALP directory.

xcountryjunkie

Bronze

Post by xcountryjunkie » Wed Mar 30, 2011 4:39 pm

UT. Even if you want to practice in MI, UT is still the better call.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Wed Mar 30, 2011 4:41 pm

I wonder if OP will ever respond or if we will never know whether OP wants to stay in Michigan or not...

beidoun

Bronze

Post by beidoun » Wed Mar 30, 2011 4:43 pm

Michigan State is full of students that lost their scholarship after their 1L year. The last thing you want to do is go to MSU, lose your scholarship and be wishing you went to Texas.

If you really want to stay in Michigan, you would be better of going to Wayne State then MSU.

Go to UT

ndirish2010

Gold

Post by ndirish2010 » Wed Mar 30, 2011 4:58 pm

What about midwest T25s? Notre Dame would be a solid option for Michigan firms. Illinois not bad either. They would probably be cheaper than UT and you wouldn't have to relocate as much

chalhou1

Bronze

Post by chalhou1 » Wed Mar 30, 2011 5:49 pm

beidoun wrote:Michigan State is full of students that lost their scholarship after their 1L year. The last thing you want to do is go to MSU, lose your scholarship and be wishing you went to Texas.

If you really want to stay in Michigan, you would be better of going to Wayne State then MSU.

Go to UT
link or are you just talking out of your ass?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

lisjjen

Silver

Post by lisjjen » Wed Mar 30, 2011 7:30 pm

chalhou1 wrote:
beidoun wrote:Michigan State is full of students that lost their scholarship after their 1L year. The last thing you want to do is go to MSU, lose your scholarship and be wishing you went to Texas.

Go to UT
What cynical bastards the internet has turned us into.

beidoun

Bronze

Post by beidoun » Wed Mar 30, 2011 7:33 pm

chalhou1 wrote:

Go to UT
I am from Michigan and know students who go to MSU law. They have pretty bad stipulations from what I remember.

nonprofit-prophet

Silver

Post by nonprofit-prophet » Wed Mar 30, 2011 7:42 pm

lisjjen wrote:a) 2nd and 3rd year tuition at UT is in-state if you can get residency
b) When I visited for ASD last week, I stayed with a guy from Ann Arbor. Forget MSU, he passed up UMich to go to UT. The result, he already has one summer interning for a NLJ 250 in Detroit, and he'll be spending his 2L summer there as well.
c) MSU is limited to Michigan and the immediate area. The only limit UT faces with national placement is convincing employers that their students are serious about leaving the state. No, seriously.

I thought residency was nearly impossible to get while in school. Do you have any information that points to the contrary? Very interested!

cabbydui

New

Post by cabbydui » Wed Mar 30, 2011 7:43 pm

Is maintaining a 3.0 a bad stipulation? I know a few kids who go there and that is their requirement. When the median is around 3.1 after 1st year a 3.0 stipulation does not seem that bad. Curious about the comment about going to Wayne instead of MSU. I don't put that much stock in rankings but #95 is better than #121

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”