Georgetown vs Columbia

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
T14Dilemma
Posts: 37
Joined: Tue Mar 29, 2011 9:20 pm

Georgetown vs Columbia

Postby T14Dilemma » Tue Mar 29, 2011 10:14 pm

Is there really that big of a difference between these schools and their job prospects? I'm interested in international law and I know both schools have great programs. I have been offered a scholarship at Georgetown which would leave me with 100k debt and I'm still waiting for my financial aid package from Columbia. Georgetown wants a decision by the end of next week for their scholarship. I guess what I'm most worried about is passing up the Georgetown scholarship before hearing about Columbia's financial aid offer and then ending up paying sticker price at CLS. I'm not sure how much debt is actually worth it (from either school).
Last edited by T14Dilemma on Tue Mar 29, 2011 11:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Grizz
Posts: 10583
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:31 pm

Re: Georgetown vs Columbia

Postby Grizz » Tue Mar 29, 2011 10:17 pm

What is your definition of "international law"

T14Dilemma
Posts: 37
Joined: Tue Mar 29, 2011 9:20 pm

Re: Georgetown vs Columbia

Postby T14Dilemma » Tue Mar 29, 2011 11:54 pm

rad law wrote:What is your definition of "international law"


I don't have a super clear definition yet. I'm considering complete opposites: international criminal law and international business law.

paulinaporizkova
Posts: 2494
Joined: Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:25 pm

Re: Georgetown vs Columbia

Postby paulinaporizkova » Tue Mar 29, 2011 11:57 pm

T14Dilemma wrote:
rad law wrote:What is your definition of "international law"


I don't have a super clear definition yet. I'm considering complete opposites: international criminal law and international business law.

radlaw is saying that international law is a myth made up by 0Ls and isn't really a viable subfield. i can't really comment, being that i am a 0L and thus have no knowledge of whether or not international law actually exists

User avatar
YankeesFan
Posts: 533
Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 8:42 pm

Re: Georgetown vs Columbia

Postby YankeesFan » Tue Mar 29, 2011 11:59 pm

If get Columbia then go Columbia.

User avatar
MonteCristo89
Posts: 11
Joined: Sat Mar 26, 2011 9:45 pm

Re: Georgetown vs Columbia

Postby MonteCristo89 » Wed Mar 30, 2011 12:08 am

YankeesFan wrote:If get Columbia then go Columbia.



+1, if you want BigLaw no wayy should you pass up Columbia

User avatar
Grizz
Posts: 10583
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:31 pm

Re: Georgetown vs Columbia

Postby Grizz » Wed Mar 30, 2011 12:29 am

T14Dilemma wrote:
rad law wrote:What is your definition of "international law"


I don't have a super clear definition yet. I'm considering complete opposites: international criminal law and international business law.


Well figure it out and do some research before going to lawl school

mst
Posts: 925
Joined: Sun Jun 06, 2010 3:01 am

Re: Georgetown vs Columbia

Postby mst » Wed Mar 30, 2011 12:30 am

T14Dilemma wrote:Is there really that big of a difference between these schools and their job prospects? I'm interested in international law and I know both schools have great programs. I have been offered a scholarship at Georgetown which would leave me with 100k debt and I'm still waiting for my financial aid package from Columbia. Georgetown wants a decision by the end of next week for their scholarship. I guess what I'm most worried about is passing up the Georgetown scholarship before hearing about Columbia's financial aid offer and then ending up paying sticker price at CLS. I'm not sure how much debt is actually worth it (from either school).


Let CLS know about the deadline. Additionally, go to CLS.

hayansekki724
Posts: 17
Joined: Sun Jan 02, 2011 12:17 am

Re: Georgetown vs Columbia

Postby hayansekki724 » Thu Mar 31, 2011 6:37 am

Reject CLS so that they can let me in off the waitlist.
OR reject Georgetown so that they can give me that scholarship.
Don't listen to everyone else. Going in to lawl school, no one actually knows what they want to do when they get out. I'm looking at private international, but I don't think I'd pay 100K more at Columbia than Georgetown. Maybe 30K more. I'm not planning to be in a NY firm my whole horrible life though.

User avatar
icouldbuyu
Posts: 254
Joined: Sun Oct 24, 2010 3:52 pm

Re: Georgetown vs Columbia

Postby icouldbuyu » Thu Mar 31, 2011 7:01 am

This is like any other thread that compares a regional TTT with a top school. You have to determine the right balance of job prospects and debt for yourself.

If I was you, I'd take Columbia.

Emma1
Posts: 543
Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2010 4:11 pm

Re: Georgetown vs Columbia

Postby Emma1 » Fri Apr 01, 2011 11:41 pm

Why dont you have until May to put down a deposit on GULC? I have scholarships at other schools and dont have to make up my mind until deposit deadline? Were you waitlisted at GULC?

T14Dilemma
Posts: 37
Joined: Tue Mar 29, 2011 9:20 pm

Re: Georgetown vs Columbia

Postby T14Dilemma » Sat Apr 02, 2011 1:15 pm

Emma1 wrote:Why dont you have until May to put down a deposit on GULC? I have scholarships at other schools and dont have to make up my mind until deposit deadline? Were you waitlisted at GULC?


I wasn't waitlisted at GULC and originally my deposit deadline was May 2nd. Then I received the scholarship and that email included the new decision/deposit deadline. I've heard that while some schools do give you until the normal deadline for scholarships, others have earlier scholarship deadlines so they can find out who is going to come and then offer the scholarships of those who decide not to come to other accepted students (while still giving those students time before the deadline to decide).

User avatar
Moxie
Posts: 665
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2009 3:27 pm

Re: Georgetown vs Columbia

Postby Moxie » Sat Apr 02, 2011 1:26 pm

Let CLS know about your deadline. Personally, I don't think CLS is worth 100k more than Georgetown, but maybe you'll get money from CLS to tip the scales.

T14Dilemma
Posts: 37
Joined: Tue Mar 29, 2011 9:20 pm

Re: Georgetown vs Columbia

Postby T14Dilemma » Mon Apr 04, 2011 12:46 pm

Moxie wrote:Let CLS know about your deadline. Personally, I don't think CLS is worth 100k more than Georgetown, but maybe you'll get money from CLS to tip the scales.


Tried...no luck. LoL.

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18404
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: Georgetown vs Columbia

Postby bk1 » Mon Apr 04, 2011 12:50 pm

CLS will give you the best shot at something international.

However, you need to accept the fact that you getting an international job has about the same odds as you winning the lottery so be okay with not getting an international job.

User avatar
Non-Chalant1
Posts: 852
Joined: Thu Jul 03, 2008 1:54 pm

Re: Georgetown vs Columbia

Postby Non-Chalant1 » Mon Apr 04, 2011 12:50 pm

I am also in your position and am not quite sure what I'll do with law (outside of an interest in the DOJ), but there are just so many things I'm interested in on the international side - business and human rights related. What did I do? I just withdrew from Georgetown. I figured worst case-scenario I don't get a super-rare job in the DOJ Honors right out or some job in the international arena dealing with different legal issues? Where would I be more likely to get a firm job so that I'm financially stable and can transition out later? Columbia.

Plus I feel like they'll give me something (but that's just intuition). Now about this NYU v. Columbia decision.

T14Dilemma
Posts: 37
Joined: Tue Mar 29, 2011 9:20 pm

Re: Georgetown vs Columbia

Postby T14Dilemma » Tue Apr 05, 2011 6:00 pm

bk1 wrote:CLS will give you the best shot at something international.

However, you need to accept the fact that you getting an international job has about the same odds as you winning the lottery so be okay with not getting an international job.


Haha I know. I'm assuming international jobs are a bit less difficult to come across with some experience though. So maybe fresh out of law school an international job would be near impossible, but hopefully down the road it might become an option.

T14Dilemma
Posts: 37
Joined: Tue Mar 29, 2011 9:20 pm

Re: Georgetown vs Columbia

Postby T14Dilemma » Wed Apr 06, 2011 11:09 pm

Things aren't looking good for CLS financial aid...still worth 210K??

User avatar
Lawquacious
Posts: 2037
Joined: Fri Oct 23, 2009 10:36 am

Re: Georgetown vs Columbia

Postby Lawquacious » Wed Apr 06, 2011 11:24 pm

I'd prob take Columbia over Gtown (even with a nice scholly), but my main reasoning would be that I'm a prestige whore. I think Gtown at good-size scholly v. Columbia at sticker could be a close call, especially if you want to do something international. Do you have strong preference for being in either NYC or DC for the next three years? If so, maybe that could help shift a close decision (assuming you get no aid from Columbia). For those who laugh at the international law idea, I think over the next 20 years law will become more and more international as technology increases and the world gets 'smaller.' There are plenty of jobs involving international work locations (including US Govt. jobs) that you would prob have a good shot at from either of these schools IMO, even if there isn't necessarily one coherent 'international law' field per se.




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 3 guests